Fantasy drawing help

Guys, I am thinking of drawing armor from three types of hides:

1. Shark
  2. Snake
  3. Crocodile
    I am going to try and draw some for a fantasy genre armor design. I’ll try first on some graphing paper to learn how to manage with the views (front view, etc.).
    Does anyone here know where I can find some references for the three types of hides that I’ll be drawing? O:

Shark;
Sharkboy
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Sharkboy_and_Lavagirl_in_3-D

Snake;
Orochi
Warriors Orochi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors_Orochi

crocodile;
Crocodile Warrior?
lmgtfy.com/?q=crocodile+warrior%3F

I am referring to the types of leather. O:

like this?

http://www.strapcode.com/store/images/Feature-SH-2705.jpg

Something like that. :slight_smile:

From what I hear, the leather from the back of a crocodile is different from its underbelly. O:

It was meant as a joke. But didn’t realise it really was that. :smiley:

Snake;
fc03.deviantart.net/fs37/f/2008/288/4/2/Textures___Snake_Skin___wide_by_Loo_Lee.jpg

Crocodile;
cdn2.arkive.org/media/E3/E3DFAFFC-EEC7-4AC4-A0BB-6098731F0E45/Presentation.Large/American-crocodile-skin-showing-texture.jpg

Really?

http://www.izintaba.com/files/crocodile_belly_collection.jpg

It looks just the same, only smaller blocks to me.

I’m still at a loss on what actual shark skin and crocodile underbelly leather looks like. O:
On the plus side, the crocodile’s back leather has bones called osteoderms in it, hence I can draw that as a shield part. :slight_smile:

I can’t see the pic. D:

123rf.com/photo_11742522_freshwater-crocodile-belly-skin-texture-background.html

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I can now draw the crocodile’s belly leather, the side leather and the back leather perfectly. :slight_smile:
The side leather would be for the shoulder guards, the belly leather can be used for the gloves and boots, and the back leather is perfect for shields. :slight_smile:

All I’m missing now are shark skin and the snake skins. I didn’t realize that snake skin has a differing consistency, or is it just me? O:

I also need help getting alligator gar skin pics as well. This is because alligator gar scales are sharp around the edges.

http://images.photoresearchers.com/photos/preview/3n/3n1424.jpg

After much research, I can use gar scales for boots and greaves. :slight_smile:

Things that might interest you; (as a drawer)

マンガやアニメのチュートリアルを描画する方法 (how-to of drawing manga and anime characters)
ja.drawingnow.com/how-to-draw-manga.html

I’m still confused about shark and snake skins though. O:

Well I don’t mean to brag, but I have been told that I am a good artist. Not that that means anything though. :stuck_out_tongue: What I would do is get a book on the animals you want the armor to look like and copy the skin texture in drawings. Pay extra attention to the scales when you are drawing the snake from a book, same for the shark. The only way I ever got good at anything was copying and repetition. Sorry If thats no any help. You could always look up on google pictures of animal/human combos and take extra note of what their skin looks like.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.