Fantasy / Occult store

My boyfriend recently mentioned a store near where he lives, one that sells a lot of fantasy stuff and some more occult-y things as well (replica fantasy weapons, dork things, and a few more odd things like reiki crystals). I’ve also gotten a magazine subscription for a wicca fashion magazine which had some really nice costumes.

Would it be immoral to buy non-occult things from these places? Like jewelry, or a ‘fantasy’ dress? There’s a lot of crossover between fantasy-magic and ‘real’ magic, and it shows up in places like the Renaissance Festival at times. I have no interest in the ‘real’ magic, just the more Dungeons and Dragons stuff. Good LoTR replica swords are hard to find.

Thanks!

I don’t see why not. It would be different if you were looking for something in the occult, but what you’re looking for doesn’t seem to fall in that realm.

Perhaps you are getting a little lost? Maybe you haven’t looked up wicca?

It seems as if you are already supporting a pagan witchcraft religion by taking out a subscription with one its magazine (thereby funding and supporting that religion). Also the words you use suggest that you have a belief in “real” magic, which I think you will find runs counter to the Church’s teachings?

I can only offer my view (which you are free to ignore, if you so wish) and which I offer in loving kindness. Cancel your subscription and do not shop at that store or accept gifts bought there, so that you are not actively supporting the spread of wicca. And very importantly get to the Sacrament of Reconciliation or at least talk to your priest, who can give you good counsel.

As for costumes and the Dungeons and Dragon stuff, try to find a mainstream supplier.

Praying for you.

God bless you

I don’t think it is wise to purchase jewelry, etc., from that store, even though it isn’t occult, as you would be helping them to stay in business.

There are other stores where you can buy those items.

Oh, I don’t have a subscription, I just received a vague “To the current resident” promotional magazine not too long ago. I have not since gotten another one.

And my belief in ‘real’ magic is written to keep a distinction between literary/fantasy magic. By real I mean occult/demonic things that I do not want any affiliation with. I quite understand that it is not a Christian concept or one we should endorse.

You know, there’s not just you. Others will see these things as being attractive, and that you approve of and subscribe to the fashion … and may actually get involved with the potential danger at a deeper level. You might end up being a party to converting someone to an occult lifestyle and putting their soul in jeopardy.

Occult things are not just fantasy. There is real (perverted and sinful) power in opening the door to the satanic. Already you’ve given a commercial for Wicca in your endorsement and have betrayed an attraction to some things. It is good (in a way) that you came here to ask your question (perhaps knowing that you’ll get a better answer at “Catholic Answers” than from the public at large re: the occult). Be sure that the question is an honest one and not surreptitiously just looking for justification from the most permissive answer you get here.

I typed this quickly with the first impression that came to my mind. It was a warning against the potential dangers inherent in messing about with the occult, and is meant in love. :slight_smile:

I have seen the “Wizard of Oz” many times and have not been tempted to become a Wizard or a Warlock :smiley: – but if I was, I hope someone would say a wise word to help straighten me out. :sad_yes:

SPIRITUAL WARFARE: THE OCCULT HAS DEMONIC INFLUENCE
Bishop Donald W. Montrose

ewtn.com/library/bishops/occult.htm

I do believe that demonic influence is very real and that it constitutes a dangerous threat to our spiritual well-being. What is written here is, at best, a brief summary of a reality that I have no desire to spend much time exploring. My purpose is simply to give you enough knowledge to be able to at least suspect the presence of the occult so that you can avoid it completely.

In the letter to the Ephesians (1:3-10), St. Paul tells us that God chose us in Jesus Christ before the world began. We are called to be holy and without sin in his sight. God called us to be his children through Jesus Christ. In Jesus and through his Blood we have been saved and our sins forgiven. This is how generous God our Father has been with us. And He has given us the wisdom to understand this mystery, this plan He revealed to us in Christ.

We are Baptized and Confirmed Christians. In both of these sacraments we have renounced Satan, all his works, and the empty promises of the kingdom of darkness. In these Baptismal promises we profess our faith in Jesus Christ and in the Church. Now the kingdom of God is absolutely opposed to Satan’s kingdom. Salvation in Jesus Christ presupposes our rejection of the kingdom of darkness. Our life, though, is a spiritual warfare.
– Bishop Donald Montrose

Per the last line: If you are attracted to spiritual warfare - go major league and play for the
right team. To me, Bishop Montrose himself being averse to even wanting to talk about the occult overmuch is like a big red flag. Be careful. And a bit wary of the pull this store may have on you.

Admittedly the link to Bishop Montrose’s writings deal with the occult as well – but there
we can get good spiritual counsel instead of just fantasy … that might destructive. Or
even VERY destructive over time if indulging a seed of darkness turns into a metastacized cancer within us over time.

I must thank you for reminding me of this article (which may be the full text of a pamphlet Montrose put out long ago). Suddenly my blindness to attractive evils about me abates a bit, and I recognize how much sketchy stuff I’ve let into my life from time to time as “not *THAT *bad.” :ouch:

Run AWAAAAAY!
– King Arthur (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Best to boycott such places.

Huh, I’m kind of surprised by the responses on this thread. While I’m not particularly in favor of supporting a store that actively identifies itself with Wicca / Paganism, I am also a nerd, and love the fantasy clothes and weapons and such… I guess I’m conflicted, because I generally love shops like that, even if I don’t really want to support them…

I’ll say that, for every store like that you happen across, you can generally find that same sorts of good, minus the wiccan / pagan stuff, at a better store, or more Catholic-friendly store. A good friend of mine is a costumer and makes all sorts of fantasy costumes (with a heavy focus in Steampunk). Perhaps you could seek out someone similar.

No dont buy non occult items from such stores since you would be supporting them and yes the Pyramid Collection catalog does have cool clothes and costumes but you still shouldnt buy from them they are a damned company with occult influences

Same boat. I’m sure you could buy a lot of these things in different stores as well. I’ll keep that in mind. Even so, though- does this mean the Renaissance Faire is immoral? I know there’s a Spirituality section to most bookstores as well. My scrupulosity is not helping.

Thank God. I went totally at face value and with the baggage of knowing individuals (who would say they are upright Christians) who dismiss the dangers of the occult.
It is a tricky road and as you say many people enjoy the sort of activities that can be described as grown up Fairy Tales (which do not detract or interfere with our journeys of faith). It means being ever vigilant (as you are by starting the Thread).

Hope you find a safer supplier.

God bless you.:slight_smile:

Thank you everyone (and specifically Avila123!)

Turns out it’s more an ethnic/world store than say, as I wrote it out, an ‘occult store.’ So while there may be incense, I don’t think it falls under the same category at a voodoo shop. I understand the dangers of the occult. If I find something in the pyramid magazine, for instance, I’ll try to find it on Amazon instead.

I love world cultures, I’m a religious studies minor, and quite into mythology. I try to balance world curiosity with Catholicism, though it’s difficult sometimes. Tolkien/Lewis help a lot (there are nymphs in Narnia, you know).

You can find these things at comic book and anime conventions. I would stay away from anything wicca or reiki. Just google fantasy costumes or replica swords or LotR swords. It’s sad to hear about the crossover, which can be a danger to those who think crystals are anything more than just pretty rocks, for example.

Peace,
Ed

As others have pointed out, it is generally not a good idea, but unlike others have mentioned, for an additional reason:

Regardless of your intention of going into such a store, the fact is, the place will radiant occult spiritual energy. What this means is that demons, unclean spirits, and the false ‘gods’ (high level demons in disguise) will attach themselves to the objects, and by relation, the buyer. You’re buying at and even just frequenting such an establishment at your own spiritual risk.

I can tell you from personal experience that whenever I’ve walked into these ‘new age’ stores in the past, that I immediately felt light headed and that a weight was being pressed on me. The spiritual power in these places is strong and acts as a spiritual anchor for spirits, because they are given to the occult, in part, or entire, so spirits are drawn to them. I’ve experienced the same thing in regular book stores that have occult or new age sections. I remember one time I was trying to find the restroom (I believe it was at Barnes and Noble), and on my way there, I had to pass by the new age section, and I got the same feelings. I’m not the only one I know who has experienced this. The reason this happens is because what we have in us as Catholic Christians (the Holy Spirit) and what these stores possess on their shelves, are two opposing forces; like oil and water, they will naturally repel each other.

Now, granted, not everyone is going to be this spiritually sensitive, but it doesn’t mean that just because you can’t feel it that it’s not happening to you. In fact, it is more likely for you to experience something if you are a devote Christian than if you are a pagan or atheist, since the devil is least concerned with these individuals, but immediately senses the spiritual presence/aura of one of God’s children.

I say this not to scare you, but just to chime in with a little extra that the rest haven’t shared yet. Aside from just not wanting to promote the occult in any way, you should also be careful of the unseen spiritual warfare going on over these topics and in these places. It’s best to simply air on the side of caution and have nothing to do with it. Since you say you are mostly interested in the fantasy fashion, do what others have suggested, and find a store that can offer the same merchandise…if that fails, why not try creating your own dresses as a hobby? It would allow you to have fine control over your designs, plus the safety and pride of knowing you are doing right by God, yourself, and your neighbor. :slight_smile:

God bless you. :slight_smile:

Good points. I avoid going into such specialty stores for another reason: open scandal. If I walk in, and someone sees me, it may encourage others.

And yes, one such bookstore did have a malignant feel to it that made me stop going.

Peace,
Ed

I went into one some thirty years ago. It had a book section, and I was an avid reader. They didn’t have any fiction, but I did find a used copy of Charles Williams’ Witchcraft. I had discovered Williams a few years before that (at the college library) and had been picking up his books whenever I could.

When I checked out with it, the clerk asked if I really wanted that particular book. I don’t remember the exact words, but he said something like it was a biased book.

Tom A.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.