Fantasy TV Line-up

How can there be 757 channels with nothing on 98% of the time?

:p

Remember when we only had like, eight or ten?

All right. Here's what I want for my Very Own Private Cable Thingie:

Channel One: Horse racing. Kind of like the OTB, but less emphasis on the gambling and more on the sport. And not just thoroughbreds; quarter horses and trotters too.

Channel Two: COOKING SHOWS. Classics, like James Beard, Dione Lucas, and Julia Child, with some Jacques Pepin, and maybe a little Nick Stellino, and some other chefs who might be interesting. Also maybe Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Channel Three: Old TV classics like Dark Shadows, Star Trek, The Avengers, and Wild Wild West and some obscure faves like The Littlest Hobo---complete with their original ads!

Channel Four: Cartoons. Ben 10 and its iterations. Marvel and DC superhero shows. Futurama. Phineas and Ferb. Original anime, subtitled. And COLONEL BLEEP. Just because.

Channel Five: EWTN.

Channel Six: Classic movies. (Yes, we already have that one...)

Channel Seven: Classic, cheesy monster movies! Nothing but the worst!

Channel Eight: Crafts and do-it-yourself-age.

Channel Nine: Travel, factory tours, and documentaries.

Channel Ten: THE FOUNTAIN PEN CHANNEL! (Hey, I said this was fantasy!)

What's yours?

Some of these are available now, so you can live out some of your fantasy now!

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:1, topic:230435"]

Channel Two: COOKING SHOWS. Classics, like James Beard, Dione Lucas, and Julia Child, with some Jacques Pepin, and maybe a little Nick Stellino, and some other chefs who might be interesting. Also maybe Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

[/quote]

This one is mostly covered by Food Network, although they don't always have the classics.

Channel Three: Old TV classics like Dark Shadows, Star Trek, The Avengers, and Wild Wild West and some obscure faves like The Littlest Hobo---complete with their original ads!

[/quote]

This one exists as TV Land.

Channel Four: Cartoons. Ben 10 and its iterations. Marvel and DC superhero shows. Futurama. Phineas and Ferb. Original anime, subtitled. And COLONEL BLEEP. Just because.

[/quote]

This one also exists as Boomerang. Some of this is also covered late at night on the Cartoon Network.

Channel Nine: Travel, factory tours, and documentaries.

[/quote]

This is mostly covered by the Travel Channel, and the Science Network.

I have a DVR, so I get to watch the shows I want at more convenient times. I also have two children, so I "get" to watch a lot of Disney channel toddler shows too.

I watch some of them sometimes but they don't have the vintage ads. And TVland doesn't have any of those shows.

:crying:

[/quote]

Netflix has the Dark Shadows episodes! Even the remake ones. Watched the remake ones first and got bummed out that it went off the air before there was a nice wrap up to the story. I'm working on the originals now. Fun stuff.

• "Family Ties." I still watch it every night on The Hub (yay!) :thumbsup:

• "Eight is Enough" - still not on DVD, nowhere to find it anymore except for YouTube

• "Austin City Limits" on PBS - best non-cable music show nobody has heard of

• "Battle of The Network All-Stars" - why hasn't that show ever been brought back?

• "The Morton Downey, Jr Show" - this guy made Jerry Springer look like an amateur

• "VH1 Top 20 Video Countdown" without the extra filler: 2 1/2 hrs is way too long

• "If You Really Knew Me" on MTV - I hope they bring this show back - very worthwhile

How can there be 757 channels with nothing on 98% of the time? Remember when we only had like, eight or ten?

[/quote]

I remember having only three channels (all in black and white) and having to actually get up from the sofa to change them. It was brutal back then.

My dream cable package:

Channel 1: C-SPAN 1
Channel 2: C-SPAN 2
Channel 3: C-SPAN 3
Channel 4: John Cleese channel(Fawlty Towers, the Pythons, A Fish Named Wanda,etc.)
Channel 5: Seasonal sports
Channel 6: Great variety shows(Carol Burnett, Jackie Gleason, Smothers Brothers. etc.)
Channel 7: Great sitcoms (Mary Tyler Moore. Taxi, etc.)
Channel 8. Home Improvement Shows (This Old House, The New Yankee Workshop,etc.)
Channel 9: Looney Tunes All Day and Night (no Disney, please)
Channel 10:Pundits and Talking Heads (discussion panels with George Will, Donna Brazile, Juan Williams, etc., etc.)
Channel 11: Julia Child Channel
Channel 12: Classic Black and White Comedy Movies (Laurel and Hardy, "Bringing Up Baby" etc.)
Channel 13: Catholic Answers (programming based on CAF)
Channel 14: The Weather Channel
Channel 15: At Work Reality Programs (Dirty Jobs, Most Dangerous Catch, Gold Rush, Ice Road Truckers--no reality game or contest shows)
Channel 16: Musicals only
Channel 17: Breaking News

Hrmm... lessee, I can't think up much really except:

Channel 1: An anime channel with shows geared towards little kids such as Pokemon, Digimon, Hamtaro, Card Captor Sakura etc.

Channel 2: Another anime channel but one geared towards older audiences. Here, everything is free for all. I'm thinking a channel like Animax or any other channel that's dabbled with playing subbed episodes. As to content, anything goes. I like variety in me anime-desu. :P (Lucky Star, Naruto, Love Hina, K-On!, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, Rozen Maiden, Eureka Seven... anything at all! Just make sure it's anime-desu! X3)

Channel 3: A gaming channel. I want updates on the latest games, consoles, as well as tournaments. :P Naturally, it covers all platforms from PS3 to PC. :P

Channel 4: A hobby channel. This one has all other kinds of geeky games not covered in the computer game category of the previous channel. I'm talking stuff like M:tG, YGO, even the Pokemon card game can be thrown in. Ooh yeah, I wouldn't mind it featuring stuff like figurines and mecha models too (in case they can't be covered in Channel 2-desu :P)

Channel 5: EWTN I guess. The last time I watched it was when I was a kid. I don't dare watch it on my aunt's cable since I'd provoke a lot of weird looks (or worse, insulting jokes about me joining the priesthood because of my single status, grr.. DX).

And A&E as it was about ten years ago, when their tv shows were actually Arts and Entertainment!

Channel 1: CSI, reruns, and other crime dramas like Bones. (Maybe throw in some Walker Texas Ranger for a laugh).

Channel 2: Reruns and new episodes of funny dramas like Burn Notice and Psych

Channel 3: A cooking channel, like Food Network, but with less cupcake wars and challenge, and more Iron Chef America and Ming

Channel 4: A DIY/travel channel, kind of like the Create channel, with the cooking shows funneled to the cooking channel (With the obligatory antiques road show, Rick Steves, New Yankee Work Shop, and This Old House)

Channel 5: Movies 'so bad they are good' channel, (With the Mummy movies, A knights Tale, Legally Blond and other parody like moves.

Channel 6: Episodes of Big bang theory, Friends, and other funny sitcoms (mostly for dh)

Channel 7: Cartoon/Anime channel with Avatar the Last Air Bender, Naruto, Bleach, Teen Titans, Dark Wing Duck and other.

Channel 8: Guilty pleasure channel, with Americas Next Top Model, The Soup, and others

Channel 9: A sy-fi type channel with star trek reruns, especially voyager, Firefly, Alias, and etc.

Channel 10: Here I am torn between a good movie channel and an all Disney movie channel, but I guess the Good movie channel can have Disney weekends or something. :D

I would subscribe to its secondary channel: The Sheaffer Channel: Where Snorkels rule.

:rotfl:

It always amazes me when someone says there's nothing good on TV. I don't get it. I can always find something I'm interested in. I have digital cable, but no premium channels.

I'm amazed that you're amazed.

I don't watch news or network sitcoms and most current cartoons are vile. Not every DIY show whether 'public' or cable is bearable. I can't only watch EWTN or OTB 24/7---nor should I.

[quote="PoliSciProf, post:6, topic:230435"]

Channel 6: Great variety shows(Carol Burnett, Jackie Gleason, Smothers Brothers. etc.) To this I must add "Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters", "The Glen Campbell Good Time Hour", Lawrence Welk, and--my guilty pleasure--"Hee Haw"!

Channel 7: Great sitcoms (Mary Tyler Moore. Taxi, etc.) I want "When Days Were Rotten"!

Channel 9: Looney Tunes All Day and Night (no Disney, please) AND UNCENSORED!!! I want to see Daffy get blasted with the shotgun! ("Shoot the duck! Shoot the duck!")

Channel 13: Catholic Answers (programming based on CAF) We can dream, right?

[/quote]

I would also like a channel geared toward writers... kind of like "Writer's Digest" or "The Writer Magazine" on TV with writing tips and ads for publishers who are looking for new material (okay, so some fantasies are not everyone's cup of tea! :shrug:)

[quote="bluerose, post:14, topic:230435"]
I would also like a channel geared toward writers... kind of like "Writer's Digest" or "The Writer Magazine" on TV with writing tips and ads for publishers who are looking for new material (okay, so some fantasies are not everyone's cup of tea! :shrug:)

[/quote]

Now that one sounds cool!

[quote="bluerose, post:14, topic:230435"]

[/quote]

I agree with you about making my Looney Tunes channel uncensored. C-SPAN 2 is known as Book TV. It is all non-fiction and you should check it out. The interviews with authors are always interesting.

booktv.org/Series/ID/In-Depth.aspx

I want the Robert Patrick channel. Sigh. All his movies and television shows, and it would be nice if there were a bunch of his interviews.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.