FAQ: Plenary Indulgences for the Year of Faith

Suppose I took confession on Saturday, then I prayed for the Pope's intentions later before bedtime (along with the penance designated by my confessor), and then the next day I attend Mass on a church designated for the Year of Faith.

(B) Each time they visit, in the course of a pilgrimage, a papal basilica, a Christian catacomb, a cathedral church or a holy site designated by the local ordinary for the Year of Faith (for example, minor basilicas and shrines dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy Apostles or patron saints), and there participate in a sacred celebration, or at least remain for a congruous period of time in prayer and pious meditation, concluding with the recitation of the Our Father, the Profession of Faith in any legitimate form, and invocations to the Blessed Virgin Mary and, depending on the circumstances, to the Holy Apostles and patron saints.

1: Does receiving Holy Communion during the Mass at the YoF-designated church satisfy the requirements for the Plenary Indulgence?

2: Invocations to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy Apostles and patron saints: what are the prescribed standards for the invocations? May I append other saints like Therese of Lisieux, Maximilian Kolbe, Rose of Lima, and the two Filipino saints?

1 - Yes

2 - Depending on the circumstances: prayers specific to the dedicated are appropriate at minor basilicas and shrines dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, or the Holy Apostles or patron saints.

An indulgence is for yourself, or by suffrage, for the dead (not the living). The indulgence is remission of temporal punishment for sins for which the guilt has been forgiven.

One must be baptized, not excommunicated, in the state of grace by the end of the completion of the prescribed works, and have at least the general intention to gain the indulgence and do the works within the prescribed time frame.

To get the plenary indulgence (one max per day except at death) requires:

1) exclude all attachment to sin including venial (also called "a generous disposition of heart") free from any desire to relapse into sin **
2) the indulgenced work *
3) Eucharistic Communion (once per work) *
4) prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father (Our Father, Hail Mary, or other) (once per work) *
5) sacramental confession (within 20 days before or after the work) which may be applied to many plenary indulgences.

• Best to do 2, 3, 4 on the same day, but not absolutely required. Prayer is vocal prayer meaning audible at least to oneself.

** St. Thomas Aquinas (Summa Theologica) states that the lack of attachment to sin means: "so as to wish they had never been".

For a partial indulgence (unlimited number):
1) the indulgenced work
2) a contrite heart
And, with a partial indulgence, the Church adds an equal remission.

There are certain exceptions for deaf, mute, and for hardships.

There must be a specific invocation for example, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel?

It says invocation to The Blessed Virgin Mary so I think the various titles are not required.

The two designated sites in Quezon City: National Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, New Manila
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Project 6
B. Each time they visit, in the course of a pilgrimage,

[LIST]
*]a papal basilica,
*]a Christian catacomb,
*]a cathedral church or
*]a holy site designated by the local ordinary for the Year of Faith (for example, minor basilicas and shrines dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy Apostles or patron saints),
[/LIST]
and there

[LIST]
*]participate in a sacred celebration,
*]or at least remain for a congruous period of time in prayer and pious meditation,
[/LIST]
concluding with the recitation of

[LIST]
*]the Our Father,
*]the Profession of Faith in any legitimate form,
*]and invocations to the Blessed Virgin Mary
*]and, depending on the circumstances, to the Holy Apostles and patron saints.
[/LIST]

I guess this works:

catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/qt/Invoke_Mary.htm

Thou who wast a virgin before thy delivery, pray for us.
Hail Mary, etc.

Thou who wast a virgin in thy delivery, pray for us.
Hail Mary, etc.

Thou who wast a virgin after thy delivery, pray for us.
Hail Mary, etc.

My Mother, deliver me from mortal sin.
Hail Mary, etc. (three times).

Mother of love, of sorrow and of mercy, pray for us.

Remember, O Virgin Mother of God, when thou shalt stand before the face of the Lord, that thou speak favorable things in our behalf and that He may turn away His indignation from us.

Thou art my Mother, O Virgin Mary: keep me safe lest I ever offend thy dear Son, and obtain for me the grace to please Him always and in all things. Amen.

And for the invocations to the Apostles and patron saints... would it be just a simple "pray for us" after the names of the saints?

I think it is not required to add more invocations since this church is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. If it was dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel or St. Joseph or St. Thomas Aquinas, etc., then those invocations are used.

Usually the Church states to used approved forms (in the language used) of vocal prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.