Farage at Trump rally: 'I wouldn't vote for Clinton if you paid me'

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/24/nigel-farage-donald-trump-rally-hillary-clinton

**Farage at Trump rally: ‘I wouldn’t vote for Clinton if you paid me’

Donald Trump positioned himself as an underdog Wednesday night, leaning on Nigel Farage, architect of the British exit from the European Union, to boost morale in the face of sliding polls.

Midway through a speech in Mississippi Trump described “Brexit” as a bid for independence and drew parallels to his own campaign, declaring a Trump presidency would bring about “American independence”.

He introduced Farage as the leader of Ukip who stood up to the EU “against all odds”. Farage told the crowd of thousands, “We reached those people who have never voted in their lives but believed by going out and voting for Brexit they could take back control of their country, take back control of their borders and get back their pride and self-respect.”

The crowd seemed slightly puzzled by Farage’s appearance on stage. But Trump welcomed Farage warmly, and stood by him as he spoke.

Farage, on stage alongside one of the wealthiest men in the United States, said that Brexit was “for the little people, for the real people”.

Farage’s involvement is part of Trump’s latest strategy that centers on his new campaign chair, Stephen Bannon. Bannon was the head of the Breitbart website before Trump hired him, and is an enthusiastic supporter of Brexit.**

I would love it if an American would kindly explain to me why the ex-leader of the UK Independence Party has just delivered a speech at a rally for one of the two candidate’s for the American Presidency? :shrug:

What exactly has Farage, already a joke even among Brexiteers in his own country, got to do with the US presidential race?

And why is Trump calling himself “Mr Brexit” and bringing up Brexit left-right-and-centre?

Now Clinton is referring to him in response to his appearance beside and support for Trump.

Farage has somehow become an unexpected flashpoint of the freaking U.S. presidential election - it’s so ludicrous I’m almost bursting into tears of sheer laughter at how ridiculous this has become. I mean to say, Nigel Farage? :eek:

Trump brought him in to appeal to the alt-right part of his constituency. This type of rhetoric is directly connected to the Breitbart handlers of his campaign. It may not register with most main stream Republicans, but it has a positive influence with some. Most American commentators are calling this a fringe group, but I guess we’ll see how "fringe’ or mainstream it is.

Trump sees the Brexit vote as outsiders taking power away from the political insiders and a shocking victory when no one said it could happen. He pretty much sees himself in that light.

What exactly has Farage, already a joke even among Brexiteers in his own country, got to do with the US presidential race?

I don’t see how a foreigner would be able to influence Trump’s audience, but I guarantee you that most don’t know he is a joke in his own country.

And why is Trump calling himself “Mr Brexit” and bringing up Brexit left-right-and-centre?

See above.

Now Clinton is referring to him in response to his appearance beside and support for Trump.

Farage has somehow become an unexpected flashpoint of the freaking U.S. presidential election - it’s so ludicrous I’m almost bursting into tears of sheer laughter at how ridiculous this has become. Nigel Farage? :eek:

Clinton seems to be running an anti-Trump campaign at the moment, so anyone associated with Trump will be a flashpoint. Farage isn’t the first - he won’t be the last.

Here’s a little more info on the alt right movement:
mediamatters.org/blog/2016/08/25/what-alt-right-guide-white-nationalist-movement-now-leading-conservative-media/212643

See this video of responses by audience members at the rally…

bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37182076

**How Americans responded to Nigel Farage

Outgoing UKIP leader Nigel Farage has urged Republicans to “get your walking boots on” and drum up support for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

He appeared before 15,000 activists in Jackson, Mississippi, being introduced by and sharing the stage with Mr Trump.

But what did voters make of Mr Farage?

Produced by the BBC’s Olivia Lace-Evans**

Clinton is merely putting Trump’s comments in context. It’s been pretty hard to figure out where he is coming from since he changes his views daily. When you connect the dots, it makes a little more sense.

What’s next, a liberal US President telling Brits who to vote for ? Oh wait, that already happened :D.

And I will use my last political posting of the day to say " Look how that worked out!"

I agree with Farage. I would not vote for Clinton if they paid me either. Trump and Farage make a great team. They represent the common man against the globalist New World Order.

Indeed!:thumbs:

This is an odd development.

It is obviously connected to the fact that no-one in the UK expected Brexit to win. Most of the polls predicted an easy win for the govt.

Farage even appeared to concede defeat at 10 o’clock that night when the voting booths closed.

But then the utter shock … Brexit had generated a massive surge in voters who rarely/never vote.

Trump would appear to be aiming for the same - and also reminding people that the polls can be wrong.

And that he does have a chance if enough of the disenchanted, poorer demographic get out and vote. As happened in Britain.

Why should anybody care what a British national thinks or says about candidates in our elections!!!

:thumbsup:

Sure wish the election were over so Americans could get back to the focusing their fear and disdain of the one who holds the office instead of not only the one that holds it and all the others who want to assume it, too!:smiley:

First, Americans tend to like and root for those perceived as underdogs. Second, a lot of Anericans feel like the elites (interlectuals, Democrat higher-ups remember the bitter-clinger remark?), and even the Republican higher-ups think of them as the Englis elites think of Farage.

But Farage won. He is an example of someone who led a fight against the globalizers which succeeded in wresting control back to the nation, despite the condescension expressed toward him.

There is a lot of pent-up frustration in the US, due to the financial manipulations of those who look down on those who have to live with the consequences of globalization. These are the people in the middle: those who want to pay their own way but have had the rug ripped out from under them by outsourcing and insourcing.

Because Trump.

=Vouthon;14132648]I would love it if an American would kindly explain to me why the ex-leader of the UK Independence Party has just delivered a speech at a rally for one of the two candidate’s for the American Presidency? :shrug:

Trump is unconventional, that’s why. So is Farage in his own right.

He’s not a joke. He won. Remain has to get used to that and act grown up before people just start to tune them out for good.

I’ve stopped trying to figure out every little thing Trump does. He’s under a microscope because the left and global elite want Clinton because she can be bought.

Farage has somehow become an unexpected flashpoint of the freaking U.S. presidential election - it’s so ludicrous I’m almost bursting into tears of sheer laughter at how ridiculous this has become. I mean to say, Nigel Farage? :eek:

No offense, but seems to me like Brexit has the last laugh. Sturgeon is making promises she can’t keep, Irish Union is mum, I guess because their base voted for Brexit in higher numbers than they expected. Labour is in shambles (all that pandering to minorities and migrants and Corbyn is still called a racist by his own party) Conservative PM forced to resign and who knows what the Greens are up to.

So I guess one can laugh all they want, but the fact is Farage and Brexit came out on top, the elites lost BIG TIME on Brexit and despite some Americans wringing their hands trying to convince themselves Democrats have a clear path to victory in November, their hidden doubt is easy to see.

The bottom line is both Brexit and Trump supporters are dealing massive blows to the First World elite and their regressive bases. They’re much more fragile than they’ve lead on to believe (I really haven’t been fooled), but that’s what happens when arrogance takes hold.

As Milo Yiannapolous once noted “Evangelical conservatives in America had the same problem in the 80s and 90s”.

They have to know which way we’ll manipulate our currency, among other things. :slight_smile:

Well, I’m not in the US, but Ireland, but this is pretty much how it looks to me from here. That there are elites that aren’t really that different, whether they are supposedly on the “left” or the “right”, and they are mysteriously now being challenged for the first time.

It’s odd. I’m reading Hilaire Belloc’s THE PARTY SYSTEM right now, written in 1911, and he’s making the exact same point of elite control and manipulation disguised as “right” and “left”.

Not only does it seem very prophetic to me, written 100 years ago, but only now does there seem to be significant portions of the population waking up.
[/quote]

Americans won’t be aware that he is no longer the leader of UKIP - nor that he was disowned by the official Brexit team which makes the claims that “He won” quite laughable, nor that UKIP did not support his appearance on the Trump platform. Still, it was nice of him to come out of retirement to support Trump as he has a lot of time on his hands these days. .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.