Fasten your seat belts

Way too many commercials for seat belt safety rely on graphic violence to make their point. But here is one of the most gentle, thoughtful commercials I have ever seen

youtube.com/watch?v=h-8PBx7isoM

I have no problem with advocating seat belt use. Forcing people to wear them under penalty of fines and ultimately jail time is fascist and a violation of individual liberty. It is that type of thinking that has led to cameras on every street corner, HOV lanes, and regulation of foods. No thanks.

Keep on slip sliding away.

Violation of natural selection.

I hardly think there is a problem requiring the use of seat belts. Not to mention that unrestrained objects flying around the car (such as unseatbelted people) can injure others in the car who might not have the choice to not ride in the car, taking completely reasonable steps to prevent stresses on hospitals can help save more lives.

Eamon

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:3, topic:186445"]
Violation of natural selection.

[/quote]

So is modern medicine. Would it be better if we stop treating all medical conditions?

Eamon

Only half of them.

Give the other half the placebo, since that works.

I am quite saddened at the mean-spirited responses to my posting:imsorry:

[quote="BVM_1221, post:7, topic:186445"]
I am quite saddened at the mean-spirited responses to my posting:imsorry:

[/quote]

That's nothing.

You should see the thread on pet peeves!!

Keep in mind that the spirit of William F. Buckley lives here.

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:8, topic:186445"]
That's nothing.

You should see the thread on pet peeves!!

Keep in mind that the spirit of William F. Buckley lives here.

[/quote]

OK, where is THAT thread located.

(One of these days my next cat will be named "peeve"):rolleyes:

Not at the expense of my God-given freedom. Your rationale is precisely why fireworks were banned in Maryland for years and why vaccines will eventually be mandatory.

If you wish to wear a seatbelt or some other safety device, more power to you. You do not have the right to make my personal decisions for me.

That video was beautiful!

I hope it gets lots of play on TV. I have never seen it there (but don't watch much TV).

Please stop contaminating this thread, which I started. Go start another thread for your rantings. Thank you:coffeeread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=411426&highlight=pet+peeve

Visit also the Part I.

It got so “oversubscribed” they had to start a Part II.

[They may have to change the title to Companion Peeve, since the word “pet” is politically incorrect.]

And those of us who take care of these companions are now “guardians”:rolleyes:

[quote="Nec5, post:10, topic:186445"]
If you wish to wear a seatbelt or some other safety device, more power to you. You do not have the right to make my personal decisions for me.

[/quote]

You are absolutely right. You have every right to get killed in an auto accident if you are not wearing your seatbelt.

I had an auto accident recently. I WAS wearing my seatbelt. My vehicle was totalled - destroyed - at a speed of 45 mph. Some $%&* turned in front of me and we basically had a head on collision. 100% his fault. He claims he never saw me. I walked away from the accident ONLY because I was wearing a seatbelt. The airbags all deployed and the front end was crumpled. Was I sore? Did I have bruises? Absolutely YES (still do 1 month later.). But I am ALIVE.

I think that commercial was great! It should be played everywhere.

Regarding fireworks.....I like them. We personally set them off. They are a great enjoyment....for those who follow the rules and are lucky. We do follow the rules and we have had some explode early! So I can totally understand how those who do not follow the rules get their fingers blown off and suffer burns. My kids have built potato cannons and fire BB guns and bows and arrows, so I understand fun, dangerous activities.

However, seatbelts are just common sense. For heaven's sake, we get buckeled into park rides...how much more dangerous are 2 tons of steel hurdeling down a road at 60 mph?!?

[quote="BVM_1221, post:12, topic:186445"]
Please stop contaminating this thread, which I started. Go start another thread for your rantings. Thank you:coffeeread:

[/quote]

So we can only post if we agree with your forced seatbelt mentality? Great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.