fasting advice

I regularly fast on Monday and Friday, meaning that I don’t eat from midnight until supper the day of my fast. I eat a normal supper (whatever I feed the rest of the family) and am then done with my fast; I may snack in the evening, etc.

This really isn’t hard for me at all, and it’s been a blessing spiritually.

I’ve been reading a little about bread & water fasts, where I would eat bread during the day (which I don’t do now) but there wouldn’t be any “supper;” only more bread.

I wonder if this is a good idea for me - if I should be making my fast days more difficult - or if that’s just being prideful/competitive in a weird sort of way. I’ve been reflecting on it and thought I’d ask your advice & thoughts.

I’m all ears if you’d like to share your insights! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t recommend a bread and water fast, if it means you are not partaking of family dinner twice a week. It would seem immoderate to me and would set you apart from them too much , even if you are physically present. You have a great discipline and think it would be better to stick with that than to start experimenting or seeking novelties. I have done both types and found bread considerably easier for one day fasts. For a while I did a Carthusian fast of bread from noon Thursday till Saturday. I learned to hate bread that way.

Are you consulting a spiritual director or your priest about your practice of fasting? That’s going to be better than asking the opinions of a lot of people on the internet who don’t know you.

-Fr ACEGC

DesertSnowDrop, a lightbulb went off for me when I read your reply. Although I find a bread & water fast intriguing, you pinpointed for me why I’m reluctant to do it. My husband is sometimes resentful of “churchlady stuff.” My current practice is completely private - nobody knows I am doing it but me & the LORD; a bread & water fast would be obvious to my family.

edward_george, I do not have a spiritual director for the reason cited above. I am up earlier than my husband every day to read and pray, and I am able to go to daily mass and Adoration a few times a week. He is aware of this but it’s not in his face at all so it doesn’t seem to bother him. It’s tricky sometimes balancing being honest & upfront in a way that doesn’t irritate him. :blush:

Anyway, thank you both for your thoughtful replies!

Before undertaking regular fasting you should first consult with your doctor and your priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.