Fasting Before Communion

I was asked yesteday just out of curiousity ,from my non Catholic girlfriend, what was the purpose of fasting before taking communion…what seemed to be one of the easiest questions she asked me about my faith turned into one of the hardest to answer…what would be the best awnser to this question?

[quote=vlasinj]I was asked yesteday just out of curiousity ,from my non Catholic girlfriend, what was the purpose of fasting before taking communion…what seemed to be one of the easiest questions she asked me about my faith turned into one of the hardest to answer…what would be the best awnser to this question?
[/quote]

Fasting is a penitential practice in preparation for Mass and Holy communion.

It is a way to prepare ourselves in body, and hopefully in mind and heart as well, to receive this Great Gift of Jesus in the Holy Eucharist.

Fasting from food and drink is a way of awakening hunger, and that physical hunger is a reminder of our spiritual hunger and thirst for the Bread from Heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.