Fasting before Mass

Do we fast one hour before Mass or before recieving the Eucharist? I ask because I will not recieve the eucharist today but am going to Mass, and I’m not sure what the rule is. I’ve been recently aware of trying to recieve more worthily and it has brought a lot of issues like this to mind.
Thanks for any helpful input,
Tom

before receiving Eucharist itself

Thanks, thats what I thought. Appreciate the back-up.

If you wish back-up from the source:

Can. 919 §1. A person who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from any food and drink, except for only water and medicine.

§2. A priest who celebrates the Most Holy Eucharist two or three times on the same day can take something before the second or third celebration even if there is less than one hour between them.

§3. The elderly, the infirm, and those who care for them can receive the Most Holy Eucharist even if they have eaten something within the preceding hour.

It can involve a bit of guess-work, if one is going to push the limits.... :twocents:

tee

Does mean that in theory, I can bring McDonalds to the Easter Vigil and eat it because it is so long. Just for fun I think I'll try this once. Rules are fun to play with and see what you can do while still being within the rules.

man, i hope you’re kidding… it’s the Easter Vigil, why would you want to eat fast food during the service when you could be worshiiping, and thanking God?

today, we ate breakfast and didn’t have time for lunch. on the way to church i was a bit hungry, and my husband suggested we stop for a burger on the way, but i said no.

i went to church a little bit hungry, and it was a truly humbling and rewarding experience. wasn’t fasting exactly, but to deny yourself a little and make the few hours truly about the Lord was nice, and refreshing, and i noticed myself feeling more thankful and prayerful than Sundays past.

i’d say if you want to fast before Mass in general, that’s not a bad thing.

[quote="wjp984, post:5, topic:183403"]
Does mean that in theory, I can bring McDonalds to the Easter Vigil and eat it because it is so long.

[/quote]

It does mean that.

But I wouldn't recommend it. :tsktsk:

tee

[quote="wjp984, post:5, topic:183403"]
Does mean that in theory, I can bring McDonalds to the Easter Vigil and eat it because it is so long. Just for fun I think I'll try this once. Rules are fun to play with and see what you can do while still being within the rules.

[/quote]

Frankly, what you are suggesting is disrespectful!!

Thank-you all for your responses. For some reason I just got a little confused. I have found the trying to recieve more worthily has led to a lot of other practices and has in general been a big boost in my spiritual life. I know, Duh! It still is amazing how gentle God can be in encouraging us to live rightly.
Thanks, again.
Tom

the rule is to fast for one hour before the reception of Holy Communion, but if you get in the habit of fasting for one hour before Mass begins you will never be surprised by a short Mass in which the time of reception comes before your hour is up.

if you cultivate the spirit of fasting in the context of preparing for Mass, it will be even more helpful. This article today on Catholic Exchange, called Getting More out of Mass, tells you how to do this, discussing fasting particularly as preparation for Mass. It also does what it says, aid you in preparing for Mass so you do get more out of it, integratedlife.catholicexchange.com/2010/01/12/28645/
and is especially helpful for families.

Puzzleannie,
Thanks for the link to that article. Many of the things suggested by Dr. D’Ambrosio are a part of my routine. It is a funny thing how one thing leads to another. I simply started out trying to satisfy a real hunger to know God more deeply. I began to realize how superficial much of my spirituality was. Eucharistic Adoration engendered a resolution to confess more regularly, Confession seemed to lead to fasting more often. When I started this deeper conversion, two or three years ago, I began reading the liturgy of the hours as much as I could. So I guess I’m saying that I am so appreciative of how Our Lord gently answers our hunger and thirst. I am so unworthy in so many ways but He leads me and carries me and gives His grace to be someone I never thought I could be. These small things one step at a time, no pressure, thats how He leads. It is up to me to follow.

Funny thing, I know Marcilino. I thought it was so weird when I read the author’s name. Just had to say. Thanks Again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.