Fasting Help!!

Hi guys!

I was thinking about what I had to do this evening, and then it hit me! It is Friday! I am supposed to sacrifice today! At lunch, I was thinking on this, and I decided the best way for me to sacrifice today is to skip dinner, and offer my hunger up to God. This was all well and good, but then dinner came and I honestly forgot! I had a strange feeling when I sat to eat, but I couldn’t remember what it was so I just ate. I feel badly now. What more can I offer the Lord? I already spend a good amount of time praying so adding in more prayer time would not be as affective a sacrifice.

Ironically, I was reading about sacrifices in my Religion textbook today, and it says that prayer, almsgiving, obedience, contrition, and self-denial are all forms of sacrifice. I am not sure how to implement these into my night. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

• JazzyElephants

Leave the forum and give up computer/phone/iPod/tablet usage for the rest of the night!

:rotfl:

Might I suggest two short prayers for you??? To the Father! They really give me comfort when I think I have not done such a good job…

Prayer for Daily Neglects

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with all its love, all its sufferings and all its merits.

First — To expiate all the sins I have committed this day and during all my life. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Second — To purify the good I have done poorly this day and during all my life. Glory Be, etc.

Third — To supply for the good I ought to have done, and that I have neglected this day and all my life. Glory Be, etc.

Eternal Father,
I desire to rest in Thy Heart this night.
I make the intention of offering to Thee
every beat of my heart,
joining to them as many acts of love and desire.
I pray that even while I am asleep,
I will bring back to Thee souls that offend Thee.
I ask forgiveness for the whole world,
especially for those who know Thee and yet sin.
I offer to Thee my every breath and heartbeat
as a prayer of reparation.

They both come from a little Catholic prayer book. I’ll look for the name… You can find them on line.
Amen.

Tell the Lord you are sorry you forgot, and give up one meal (only) tomorrow, or only eat a very small meal (like only a piece of fruit for breakfast) instead. You don’t have to give up your sleep tonight, either! LOL Just transfer the intention to tomorrow. The Lord knows it was unintentional, not deliberate forsaking of your offering to Him. Your intention is surely precious to Our Lord, but as He said: “The Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak”. I have forgotten a penance I imposed on myself (including a fast from a meal) before, and I just tell the Lord I’m sorry I forgot, and do it instead the next day! (Unless it’s going to Sunday Mass, in which case I go to Confession and the next Mass available to me!) Don’t get upset, Our Lord knows we forget, and are fallible. Thank the Lord, He is NOT fallible, and He does forgive our times of weakness and forgetfulness! Say an Act of Contrition and go on!:slight_smile:

Thank you all for you help! I feel much better now, and I intend to talk to the Lord about this right after I finish posting this! To the one who suggested I give up electronics for the rest of the evening, thank you for the suggestion, but that isn’t hard for me. I don’t spend very much time on the computer, and I don’t use my phone. I like all your suggestions of prayer and transferring the intention to tomorrow! May God bless you all! - JazzyElephants

Thank you for the beautiful prayers! I will definitely say them tonight!

Offer the pain of your disappointment in youself to him and tell him you love him.

May God our Father give you grace and peace.

Glad we were able to help you with this. Will say a prayer for your intentions tonight.
God Bless & keep you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.