Fasting on Ash Wednesday.

I will be working all day on Ash Wednesday which includes waking up at work on that morning. What re the rules for me? I know that normally it states one meal but I don’t normally eat big meals anyway so am I supposed to black fast or just have some sandwiches?

Thanks.

Da Rulz for you are the same as they are for everyone else of fasting age – one regular meal, plus two snacks that don’t make a full meal between them, and no snacking in between.

Amen.

One big meal and two small meals that do not equal the bigger meal.

For example, for breakfast you could eat a banana and have a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice or milk.

For lunch, you could eat an apple or a tuna fish sandwich and say, carrot sticks.

For supper, if the earlier meals were your smaller meals, you could have fish sticks, fries and a salad

(get the idea?)

No snacking between meals, but you can drink water.

I have a lot of trouble at times (the worst was when I was in college and had to be at school on Ash Wednesday and i could not eat the sweet they had) so I usually eat a later breakfast…sleep…then a later lunch…sleep…supper…then try not to watch tv that has food commercials and then its bed… this year I am volunteering in my catholic elementary school library on wendesdays and I hope the librarian has some work for me to do this week, so I can keep my mind OFF food…but my breakfast will be earlier that day (like 7:45 A as opposed to 10:25 A) so when I get home, I’ll eat lunch and then rest…).

The usual fast is one regular sized meal and two smaller meals, which together do not make one regular meal. I know that many people graze rather than eat regular meals so this can cause some confusion. Prudential judgment is needed.

Just fast

I already fast but I understand different people have different medical needs and I know that depending on your situation it might be kind of difficult to do. Still you are supposed to fast and I think that would be a wise thing to do anyway. I don’t know the particulars of your situation other than the fact you have to work but I know a lot of other people also have to work and they still fast. I think my advice is to take what would be your largest meal is the first thing you eat that way you won’t have hunger pains all day. I also think it might be wise to talk to your pastor before that time most of us here aren’t Canon lawyers

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.