Fasting on Wednesday and Friday

Does anyone else follow the practice of bread and water fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays during Lent?

The Medjugorie apparitions are NOT approved. 3 local Bishops’ Commissions have declared there is no evidence of any supernatural happenings there and further declared the visionaries are frauds. Several of the local Franciscan priests who perpetuate the apparitions as being true have been suspended and cannot say Mass or hear Confession. Under normal circumstances that would be the end of it but because of the controversy the CDF (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) in Rome has become involved and their first action was to suspend another priest who is at the centre of these alleged apparitions.

As for the content of unapproved apparitions we are NOT allowed to discuss these in these forums. You should read the forum rules on this.

I guess he told you.
:eek:

I have heard of the practice of fasting on Wednesday and Friday.

Wednesday and Friday have a long tradition as days of fast, particularly in monastic communities.

Yikes. Please change my question to Wednesday and Friday as bread and water fasting. Does anyone else?

no I follow the traditional fasting practices of the Church in penitential days and seasons. In any case following a diabetes diet already imposes a severe penance

No, I don’t fast that way. With a young family and a job, it would not be practical for me. Most folks in the past how did fast this way were in a religious community who all fasted or in another situation where others did not depend on them for regular meals.

If you feel called to fast like this I would suggest you ask your priest. We are not called to take on extra-ordinary penances without spiritual direction. Certainly, it would be harmful to skip desserts, snacks, even meat on Wednesdays and Fridays, but to go without regular meals is not an ordinary penance.

Fasting (not abstinence which is different) is required on only 2 days a year and these are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. That is the teaching of the Church. We should be obedient to the Church and not some unapproved apparition.
Voluntary fasting can be done anytime.

Praised be Jesus Christ,

Wow:shrug: I thought it was common practice within the church not to eat meat on Wednesdays and Fridays.I am so suprised that it was not approved by the Bishops and all.

At our house we do it though we are not that strict about it but it is like that at home.Especially just after ash Wednesday we follow that diet to the T.

Thanks for helping me .:thumbsup:

Remember not eating meat is not fasting. That is abstinence. Fasting and abstinence are different.

Abstinance:
Fridays during Lent you must abstain from eating meat. Other Fridays during the year are days of penance. You may choose not to eat meat or choose some other form of penance but you must do some act of penance.

Fasting:
Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

THANK YOU!!

I LOVE THIS FORUM.

Q:What are acts of penance?

God bless.

CCC 1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church’s penitential practice. These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

Thanks again,here in South Africa its 3pm and I am going home now.Its the weekend take care and God Bless.:thumbsup:

Hey thistle, could you PM me some news or articles about this? I have some family members who must be unaware, and I would like to back this up with evidence when I ask them to stop sending me M-messages.

Thanks!!!

I know a couple of people who do.

I’ve discussed it with my priest. Fasting is not required beyond Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

However, fasting as a spiritual discipline is encouraged. In my opinion, it’s a lost spiritual discipline. It is clearly a practice of the ancient church and Christ discussed it with his disciples in terms of “when you fast”, rather than “if you fast.”

I’ve committed to fasting on Ash Wed and all Fridays throughout lent. I’m strongly considering doing it year round.

I just noticed your post. In the coming days I will send you something. I have the Bishops’ declarations and also some comments by the Pope when he was still Cardinal Ratzinger. If I have the links I’ll PM them to you otherwise I would have to email you the entire reports which I have saved.

in my country the tradition of friday fast througout the year is very common, along with fast on tuesdays to honor saint anthony, who is a very popular saint here.
during Lent if you feel called to fast on wednesdays and fridays, why not? i know a few people who fast on bread and water the entire Lent, excluding sundays.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.