Fasting to grant petitions?

The Gospel quotes Jesus as saying that fasting and prayer can get demons out. But can fasting also be used to get God to grant petitions?

It can’t help to make it happen

[quote="IesuMariaIoseph, post:2, topic:310682"]
It can't help to make it happen

[/quote]

I was wondering because the Bishops of the Philippines used prayer and fasting to try to prevent a bill from passing the country's congress. I didn't know of any scripture or teaching that would have directly supported that.

I’ve never understood how not eating is supposed to affect legislative outcomes, but back in 2010 when the healthcare law was being debated in Congress, Bishop Loverde of the Arlington, VA diocese declared a day of prayer and fasting to support a pro-life orientation in the new law:

arlingtondiocese.org/news.php?id=293

This info on fasting during lent should help: catholicbible101.com/lentenfasting.htm

[quote="ExCatholicGuy, post:4, topic:310682"]
I've never understood how not eating is supposed to affect legislative outcomes, but back in 2010 when the healthcare law was being debated in Congress, Bishop Loverde of the Arlington, VA diocese declared a day of prayer and fasting to support a pro-life orientation in the new law:

arlingtondiocese.org/news.php?id=293

[/quote]

It is public witness of the Catholic faith, which is salutary, and by divine law all the faithful are required to do penance.

Fasting is a sign of penitence, for our own sins and the sins of others.

It doesn't make God do anything. God is all-powerful.

It does show God that we are taking the proper attitude towards a situation -- ie, being sorry for our sins and those of others, and begging God for help. It also should show that we are willing to accept, humbly, whatever God may decide to do or not do.

A bishop who calls for fasting and prayer is calling on his diocese to be repentant before it's too late. He may ask for the prayers to be directed toward a certain intention, and he may hope that God will take pity on us and grant that intention; but the repentance is the point.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that God will grant any prayers in exactly the way you want them to be granted, unless you're talking about prayers of the Sacraments that God Himself instituted. You can fast all day and all night and not get what you asked for. You'll get what you need, and that may be more of the same.

Fast because it's right, not because you expect to get something out of it.

[quote="Mintaka, post:7, topic:310682"]
Fasting is a sign of penitence, for our own sins and the sins of others.

It doesn't make God do anything. God is all-powerful.

It does show God that we are taking the proper attitude towards a situation -- ie, being sorry for our sins and those of others, and begging God for help. It also should show that we are willing to accept, humbly, whatever God may decide to do or not do.

A bishop who calls for fasting and prayer is calling on his diocese to be repentant before it's too late. He may ask for the prayers to be directed toward a certain intention, and he may hope that God will take pity on us and grant that intention; but the repentance is the point.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that God will grant any prayers in exactly the way you want them to be granted, unless you're talking about prayers of the Sacraments that God Himself instituted. You can fast all day and all night and not get what you asked for. You'll get what you need, and that may be more of the same.

Fast because it's right, not because you expect to get something out of it.

[/quote]

I didn't mean it as a method to manipulate God. I meant, can it be used as a tool that goes along with prayer in order to get a petition granted.

Nobody here needs to be lectured on the topic of God's will.

The context of those bishops I mentioned seemed to imply that it can, but I'm unaware of theological support for that.

[quote="PazzoGrande, post:8, topic:310682"]
I didn't mean it as a method to manipulate God. I meant, can it be used as a tool that goes along with prayer in order to get a petition granted.

The context of those bishops I mentioned seemed to imply that it can, but I'm unaware of theological support for that.

[/quote]

If you read that article carefully you will see how the petition could be granted:

"Through our fasting and prayers, we ask the Lord to lead the hearts and minds of our nation’s leaders as they make crucial decisions concerning the protection of life."

[quote="Vico, post:9, topic:310682"]
If you read that article carefully you will see how the petition could be granted:

"Through our fasting and prayers, we ask the Lord to lead the hearts and minds of our nation’s leaders as they make crucial decisions concerning the protection of life."

[/quote]

Yes, but that was a response to Post #7, where the user implied that I was asserting it was a way to force God's hand. My response was that I wasn't implying it was meant to force God or that one does it because one expects to get something out of it.

It was a response to Mintaka's post, not the helpful article you provided.

[quote="PazzoGrande, post:10, topic:310682"]
Yes, but that was a response to Post #7, where the user implied that I was asserting it was a way to force God's hand. My response was that I wasn't implying it was meant to force God or that one does it because one expects to get something out of it.

It was a response to Mintaka's post, not the helpful article you provided.

[/quote]

Oops. Thank you. Note that the article was posted by **ExCatholicGuy, **which I had in mind when I posted.

[quote="PazzoGrande, post:8, topic:310682"]

[/quote]

If the petition is for penance for your soul or the soul of another.

Yes, you can get your petitions aswered by fasting. Virgin Mary in Medugorje said: "The best fast is on bread and water. Through fasting and prayer one can stop wars, one can suspend the natural laws of nature. Works of charity cannot replace fasting... Everyone except the sick, has to fast." A friend of mine was praying for months for an intention, the day she started to fast, her petition was answered. Also, fasting can help your spiritual growth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.