Fasting while traveling tomorrow (Good Friday)

Hello all, I’m new, and I promise to post a proper introduction soon, but I have a bit of time urgency to this question so I hope I’ve posted it in the right place.

I will be traveling tomorrow, Good Friday, arriving at my destination while it’s still morning there. My hosts, who are not Catholic, are likely to have made arrangements for meals (several people are coming, and I am the only Catholic among them). I don’t want to offend them, nor do I want to draw undue attention to myself, but the fact remains that I am obligated to observe the fast of the Church. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you and may God bless you!

Hi, welcome to Catholic Answers Forum! :slight_smile:

If you have two light meals and then a main meal, but avoid snacks, you are keeping the fast. The other issue is abstenance from meat. It’s up to you to ensure your plate is filled with vegetables, but try to avoid the meat.
It’s not comfortable to draw attention to yourself…I sure know all about that because I’m Celiac which means I must avoid anything with even a trace of wheat or wheat flour, (or oats, barley or rye) The consequences is being ill if I ignore the issue so as not to offend my hosts. Its very upsetting sometimes as so many foods involve wheat flour, so I feel like a nuisance. This is my physical health. If you subsitute the idea of spiritual health, maybe you can see you way clear to be as discreet as possible yet meet the fasting and abstinence rules.

But to be sure of your position I’ll see what I can find that may mitigate your obligation and get back to you.

The Church’s rules on fasting don’t require you to avoid all food for the day. Fasting allows you to eat one full meal and, if necessary for strength, two smaller meals that don’t add up to a full meal. So if you eat lightly tomorrow you should be within both the letter and the spirit of the rules. Stay away from any meat, keep your meals modest, avoid eating between meals and you should be OK.

"Those who are excused from fast or abstinence

Besides those outside the age limits, those of unsound mind, the sick, the frail, pregnant or nursing women according to need for meat or nourishment, manual laborers according to need, guests at a meal who cannot excuse themselves without giving great offense or causing enmity and other situations of moral or physical impossibility to observe the penitential discipline."

ewtn.com/expert/answers/fast_and_abstinence.htm

From your user name, I might guess that you could be over the age of 59. If that is the case, you are not obligated to fast at all. Travel safely, and have a happy Easter!

Betsy

No Betsy she’s under 59 according to her profile, but my post preceding yours might have helped her.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.