Fasting

Since today is Ash Wednesday, I’m doing the best I can not eating a lot. I’m at college right now between classes…so I can goof off or do something during this time. Usually I’m not hungry at this time but you know, since we have to not eat as much, now I’m hungry! See how that goes? :smiley: So I went to the vending machine and got Chex mix to nibble on. I have not opened it yet but was wondering if I could eat them yet…I know we are suppose to have one full meal I think, right? And we are allowed to have two small snacks like that to keep us going?

Now my question is, I had a cheese stick for breakfast this morning and just got the Chex mix. Can I eat now and then later have a small dinner tonight or what?

With the season of Lent beginning Feb. 9, all Catholics are reminded of the following Lenten regulations:

Abstinence from meat on Ash Wednesday and the Fridays of Lent (for those 14 and older) is required by church law. Also, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are fast days: Those between the ages of 18 and 59 should eat less, meaning, take no solid food between meals and only one full meal that day. Serious reasons, such as one’s health can excuse a person from these rules.

Pastors and parents are encouraged by the law of the church to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.

So, in regards to your question, you should refrain from eating any solid food today outside on your one meal. Additionally, that one meal should be devoid of meat.

Okay…now I’m more confused then ever!!!

Some people tell me this, then they tell me that…

So that means that the cheese stick is my only meal for the day? :confused:

I’m not quite getting it…

[quote=Paris Blues]Okay…now I’m more confused then ever!!!

Some people tell me this, then they tell me that…

So that means that the cheese stick is my only meal for the day? :confused:

I’m not quite getting it…
[/quote]

No, your one meal is a full meal without meat. Whatever your would eat at a full meal is the appropriate quantity. Outside of that, you should abstain from all solid food. If you’ve already partaken of food in ignorance of the Fasting guidance, ask for forgiveness.

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]No, your one meal is a full meal without meat. Whatever your would eat at a full meal is the appropriate quantity. Outside of that, you should abstain from all solid food. If you’ve already partaken of food in ignorance of the Fasting guidance, ask for forgiveness.
[/quote]

Okay, let me get this straight…since I already eaten the cheese stick, I can still eat the Chex mix, right? I can still eat a full meal for dinner tonight as long as there’s NO MEAT whatsoever, right? So I can eat mac & cheese or grilled cheese, cheese pizza, etc. as long as it’s meatless. Please correct me if I’m wrong…I just want to get this right!
:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Paris Blues]Okay, let me get this straight…since I already eaten the cheese stick, I can still eat the Chex mix, right? I can still eat a full meal for dinner tonight as long as there’s NO MEAT whatsoever, right? So I can eat mac & cheese or grilled cheese, cheese pizza, etc. as long as it’s meatless. Please correct me if I’m wrong…I just want to get this right!
[/quote]

Don’t get scrupulous, Paris. The idea of the fast is to think of the sorrowful passion of our Lord while you abstain. Pray a little extra today, you’ll be fine! :slight_smile:

Chalk up the snacks to experience. Take only one real meal, and let it be light.

As for being hungry just BECAUSE it’s a fast day: yup. It’s always like that. Never dream of bacon except on Fridays in Lent!

[quote=Paris Blues]Okay, let me get this straight…since I already eaten the cheese stick, I can still eat the Chex mix, right? I can still eat a full meal for dinner tonight as long as there’s NO MEAT whatsoever, right? So I can eat mac & cheese or grilled cheese, cheese pizza, etc. as long as it’s meatless. Please correct me if I’m wrong…I just want to get this right!
[/quote]

Technically speaking, you should have one full meal today (without meat), like a typical meal you would have any other day. You may also have two smaller meals (which together equal or are less than the amount of food in the full meal), and no between-meal snacking. Unless your chex mix is going to be one of your lesser meals, then you shouldn’t eat it…wait until meal time.

However, the above posters gave very good advice. Don’t get too scrupulous, and if you make a mistake, remember you are new at this.

[quote=mercygate]Chalk up the snacks to experience. Take only one real meal, and let it be light.

As for being hungry just BECAUSE it’s a fast day: yup. It’s always like that. Never dream of bacon except on Fridays in Lent!
[/quote]

See, since I’m a college student, I’m at school from 8:30am-3:00pm and I snack to keep up my energy though sometimes I don’t because I’m not hungry but like today, that’s when I get hungry! I AM HUNGRY now!!! I have my Chex mix in my purse right this minute, waiting for me to open it! I’m tempted to eat it but if the REAL rule is to not eat it but to have one full meal a day, then I will not eat it.

Oops…did I make the mistake of eating cheese this morning when I shouldn’t have ate anything then eat a full meatless meal when I get home?

This is so confusing! :eek:

[quote=Paris Blues]See, since I’m a college student, I’m at school from 8:30am-3:00pm and I snack to keep up my energy though sometimes I don’t because I’m not hungry but like today, that’s when I get hungry! I AM HUNGRY now!!! I have my Chex mix in my purse right this minute, waiting for me to open it! I’m tempted to eat it but if the REAL rule is to not eat it but to have one full meal a day, then I will not eat it.

Oops…did I make the mistake of eating cheese this morning when I shouldn’t have ate anything then eat a full meatless meal when I get home?

This is so confusing! :eek:
[/quote]

No, think of cheese as your smaller morning meal. You get one more smaller meal today. Between meal snacking, however is not appropriate.

If you really want to make it work, make a plan. Most people opt for a full dinner. If you do this, then you can have a small breakfast (e.g. a bagel and some juice) and a small lunch (perhaps a small sandwich) in addition to dinner. However, don’t snack between the three meals. Also, whatever you have for breakfast and lunch should not add up to what would be your full dinner meal.

[quote=Paris Blues] I AM HUNGRY now!!!
[/quote]

Being hungry is such a small sacrifice to make in comparison to the sacrifice of our Lord, isn’t it Paris? :yup:

[quote=mtr01]No, think of cheese as your smaller morning meal. You get one more smaller meal today. Between meal snacking, however is not appropriate.

If you really want to make it work, make a plan. Most people opt for a full dinner. If you do this, then you can have a small breakfast (e.g. a bagel and some juice) and a small lunch (perhaps a small sandwich) in addition to dinner. However, don’t snack between the three meals. Also, whatever you have for breakfast and lunch should not add up to what would be your full dinner meal.
[/quote]

So if I did eat my Chex mix, I would not be able to eat again later tonight, even if t’s another snack, right?

[quote=Paris Blues]So if I did eat my Chex mix, I would not be able to eat again later tonight, even if t’s another snack, right?
[/quote]

I forgot to add…

If I wait until I get home, can I eat something (like half a sandwich or even a small cheese pizza) and sill eat the Chex mix?

[quote=Paris Blues]I forgot to add…

If I wait until I get home, can I eat something (like half a sandwich or even a small cheese pizza) and sill eat the Chex mix?
[/quote]

nix the mix! It’s only one day!

Whoops :o did not know about the no meat rule for Ash Wed. Thought it was just Fridays. That turkey sandwich feels like a rock in my stomach now. Guess I’ll just have a small meatless snack tonight now. Shoot. :frowning: Guess we’re in the same boat, kinda, Paris.From what I gather from the above rules, I would just wait till you got home and since you’re so hungry, eat your one meal then and just have a small snack tonight. (like, save the Chex mix for that). Would that work for you? Just an idea. :slight_smile: God Bless!

[quote=mercygate]nix the mix! It’s only one day!
[/quote]

So that means, skip the mix and eat the pizza?

paris- just forget the chex mix! forget the pizza! it’s just one day! not even a day. you can wait 3 more hours til suppertime. then have a nice supper, thank God for it, go to bed, and tomorrow you won’t be hungry anymore. that’s satan trying to get you to break your fast. you can do it! offer it up for all those who don’t have enough to eat, and be comforted with the fact that the whole church is doing it together.

jp2fan

[quote=Paris Blues]So if I did eat my Chex mix, I would not be able to eat again later tonight, even if t’s another snack, right?
[/quote]

If you ate your chex mix now, I would say that constitutes your 2nd meal of the day (since you aren’t supposed to be snacking). So if I’ve got it right, you had cheese this morning (that would count as one small meal), if you ate your chex mix that would count as your 2nd small meal), that means you would still be able to have a normal (though meatless) dinner. But no more food after that.

However, if you want my advice, go with the above posters who suggested just forgetting about the chex mix entirely. Like Mickey said, what’s a little hunger compared to Christ’s suffering for us? fter all, this is one major aspect of fasting…participating in the suffering of our Lord.

This whole discussion is making me laugh out loud! Those of us who have been Catholic for a while (and before I was Catholic, I observed stricter rules than we are required to observe in the Church), this is all such a no-brainer. Just shows us how confusing the small stuff can be when you’re new to the game.

It’s good to be reminded.

[quote=mercygate]This whole discussion is making me laugh out loud! Those of us who have been Catholic for a while (and before I was Catholic, I observed stricter rules than we are required to observe in the Church), this is all such a no-brainer. Just shows us how confusing the small stuff can be when you’re new to the game.

It’s good to be reminded.
[/quote]

LOL!!! I’m the kind of person when it comes to learning something new that I have to know exactly what to do. Like I must do it right!!!
:stuck_out_tongue: Someday, it will be a no-brainer to me and I will laugh remembering how hard it seemed! :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.