fasting

what are examples of some things you guys eat when you are fasting on ash Wednesday?

I never really know if I am eating too much or not enough. and I am the type of person who gets hungry really easily. and I did faint once during a choir concert and I think it was from not eating enough that day, among other things. I wasn’t trying to fast, it just happened accidentally. but now I know, I have to be careful with things like that

this year is different though. I just started training with my new guide dog so I wil have to be walking around a lot, which, normally I am at school or at home so not doing anything too strenuous.

so can you give me some examples of what your big meal and smaller meals consist of?

Don’t overthink it too much. A big meal is a big meal. Small meals are small meals. I will frequently have a tuna salad sandwich and scrambled eggs and toast as the two small meals, pasta and salad as the larger meal.

For me?

Oatmeal and OJ in the morning.

cup of yogurt & a banana for lunch.

tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner.

Breakfast - yogurt & coffee.
Lunch - fresh fruit.
Dinner - tuna fish sandwich & tomato soup.

You may be exempt from fasting due to health. You should get an OK from your Dr. Also, carry a high protein snack with you just in case, but do see your Dr. Peace.

Some examples:

Breakfast: Homemade latte (milk with coffee), an apple and peanut butter
Lunch: Tuna sandwich and fruit, or an egg salad sandwich with a veggie (e.g., celery sticks)
Dinner: Bowl of soup, or a potato with cheese

I know I’m supposed to be hungry – that’s part of the fasting – but I usually bring a couple containers of milk (the type that don’t need to be refrigerated) and a protein bar with me to school in case I get light-headed while teaching my kiddos. And if I don’t use them, I can always keep them in my desk for a quick snack another day.

God bless you!

For me, nothing. From midnight to midnight nothing. However I guarantee I’ll stay up later than midnight on Thursday morning. :thumbsup:
Now my poor pregnant wife. The answer is that she will eat no meat and generally smaller meals. My kids, Those above age of reason. Cereal, soup. The young ones, whatever they want. The dog, kibble if she has any teeth left

I dont eat meat at all. Being a vegetarian.
On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday there are a few other ways our parish has listed to do penance.

1, give up something you really enjoy
2, do community service ie volunteer work or visit the sick etc
3 pray, do stations of the cross, the rosary, adoration, mass, etc
4. Alms giving

I do fast a couple of times a week. Thats very light breakfast-yoghurt or museli bar, then nothing besides juice / coffee/ tea till 5pm.

We are to have one meatless meal and up to 2 snacks that, taken together, do not equal another meal. Milk, juice, coffee and tea are allowed in between.

I usually have: Morning snack- 1 Zone bar or Greek yoghurt

Afternoon snack- 1 cheese and lettuce sandwich and a piece of fruit

Meal- fish sandwich, green beans, side salad and fruit or yoghurt

I’ve found it very helpful to have almond milk and juice, but not 100% juice as this can cause a sugar crash and I get a headache and sometimes shaky. What really helps is a juice/apple cider vinegar blend by a brand calked Bragg. Apple cider vinegar regulates fasting blood sugars and that prevents shakiness and headaches. Plus, it has the added bonus of penance.

Hope this helps. I hope everyone has a blessed Lent.

This I what I do too. Coffee and toast to start the day and then nothing except water all day until 5 or 6pm.

We might do a protein shake for breakfast and lunch then dinner.

Since I am a type 1 diabetic I am exempt from the fast, however I do eat nonmeat protein such as cheese fish and peanut butter.

It depends on the year. I’ve done complete fasts where I only drink water for the 24 hours and other times where I might have a piece of dry toast with a protein shake or piece of cheese for breakfast and maybe a small bowl of soup for dinner. I normally will not eat between sunrise and sunset on days of fasting so I won’t eat even a small lunch. Since I normally eat between 1800 and 2100 calories a day I try to keep it under about 1000-1100 calories on days I fast. I’m not OCD about it, but it gives me a rough goal to aim for. I know the years my wife wasn’t pregnant or nursing that she normally fasted on water and unleavened bread on all Wednesdays and Fridays of Lent.

In general i try to balance on the edge between hunger and headache. Because of that I might eat an extra high protein meal on Tuesday evening to provide a kind of calorie loading before hand. That being said, not everyone can (or should) do what I do. Reducing calories helps me focus on Christ, but for others it is nothing but a constant distraction on how long until they can have their next alotment of food. If fasting removes your focus from God to a laser focus on your empty stomach then it can be counter productive. A fast should never leave you feeling weak or ill, but should open the door to draw closer to Christ. It is near impossible to pray when you are passing out or throwing up from a headach.

The Church emphasizes the penitential nature of Ash Wednesday by calling us to fast and abstain from meat.
Catholics who are over the age of 18 and under the age of 60 are required to fast (health permitting),
which means that they can eat only one complete meal and two smaller ones during the day, with no food in between.
Catholics who are over the age of 14 are required to refrain from eating any meat,
or any food made with meat, on Ash Wednesday.

This does not mean eating 2 regular meals and super sizing the third meal. :doh2:

I know it’s an old image but it still makes me smile.
The easiest thing to do is to halve your two smaller meals
& eat your normal main (meatless) meal as usual.
:tiphat:

Catechism.says one main normal meal,
And two meals that together do not equal a full normal meal,

In other words, a normal full dinner or supper,

And two small meals.that are less than half the size of a full meal.

Doesn’t.the catechism.also allow that if someone works tough labor like on a building site, or a fireman, that this person is exempt as they need to eat more to keep up the energy to do a full.days physical work, for their own safety?

Eg: someone has a two hour drive home from work and needs to eat something to prevent driving fatigue, for their own safety and others on the road

I thought those who were pregnant were exempt from the fasting regulations. Of course what someone does voluntarily is something else.

I’m also a vegetarian so abstinence is what I do every day. I normally practice fasting every Friday throughout the year.

A typical fast diet for me would be

Breakfast - cereal or toast
Lunch - Beans on toast, or soup, or a sandwich. Maybe a piece of fruit on the side.
Dinner - Whatever I’d normally eat but nothing extravagant.

Yes, pregnancy is exempted from fasting.

I usually eat cottage cheese and canned fruit or mac and cheese or tomato soup.

Fasting is hard for me because I do like to snack…usually I try to do something else between meals to keep my mind off food. And I place several hours between meals.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.