Fat cells turned into stem cells

The word “controversial” should be stricken from news reports so the plain truth can be known. Instead of killing human embryos, scientists can reprogram stem cells in the patient’s own fat.

cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/04/stem.cells.liposuction.fat/index.html

Peace,
Ed

I would like to sign up for this study. They can have all the fat cells they want!

All kidding aside, the embryonic stem cells will never work~it looks like~. God has His Hand in this!!! All that money, and some scientists are slow to acknowledge the facts-the embarrassment! The Grants and other monies! Embrionic stem cells don’t work.

Stem cell lines from umbilical cords—that organ that is thrown away, and some other stem cells do work.

God is good, all the time!
All the time, God is good!

Yep…

“A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.” (Matthew 7:18)

Didn’t hear about this one. It’s almost like someone is trying to keep it quiet.

I need to read more about this. If there is any truth (or even promise) to this, there should be screaming from the rooftops from anyone on any side of the ESCR issue. We could have not only the termination of an abhorent practice but the potential for plentiful fruitful (and licit) medical research.

I’d like to see the scientific paper on this research. If it’s not in Nature or Science, then it’s probably hyped up.

The problem with using IPS in humans is that these cells were “induced” into IPS by using retroviruses…which can create oncogenes depending on where the transfected cells insert into the genome. This has been done many times with fibroblasts.

I wish more Americans were better versed in science. It would reduce a lot of confusion and misunderstanding when the MSM reports scientific news. Science has a bad name here because of that.

From PNAS, access to the paper:

pnas.org/site/misc/highlights.shtml#fat

Peace,
Ed

After scanning through the article…I find that CNN’s report of the study is very misleading. CNN says that the lab at the U. of Stanford has turned fat cells (already differentiated) into IPS cells. In the actual scientific article (thanks Ed) the researchers claim that they used human adipose stem cells (hASCs) which exist in adipose tissue to generate IPS cells.

hASCs are multipotent and can only differentiate into bone, muscle, cartilage, and fat. That’s nothing new. What is new in the paper is that they transduced the hASCs with lentiviruses expressing transcription factors which are naturally expressed in embryonic stem cells.

I also found it very interesting that they did this without having to use feeder cells. :smiley:

I am still trying to digest the paper. But I remember the maxim, on stories of either science or religion, mainstream journalism fails miserably.

Very true. :slight_smile:

I hear ya, Dawn. I’ve got several trillion cells around my belt-line that I’d like to donate :stuck_out_tongue:

DaveBj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.