Fatal Car Crashes Involving Pot Use Have Tripled in U.S., Study Finds

…" Currently, one of nine drivers involved in fatal crashes would test positive for marijuana," said co-author Dr. Guohua Li, director of the Center for Injury Epidemiology and Prevention at Columbia. “If this trend continues, in five or six years non-alcohol drugs will overtake alcohol to become the most common substance involved in deaths related to impaired driving.”

philly.com/philly/health/topics/HealthDay684515_20140204_Fatal_Car_Crashes_Involving_Pot_Use_Have_Tripled_in_U_S___Study_Finds.html

It’s ok. If you are injured in a car crash, you can use medicinal marijuana.

pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/driving-laws-explained-in-the-medical-marijuana-age-how-high-is-too-high-to-drive-85899381036
“Driving Laws Explained: In the Medical Marijuana Age, How High is too High to Drive?”

So, 40% of all accident fatalities are caused by drunk drivers who are actually impaired while driving and it’s still legal to manufacture, sell, and purchase alcohol???

The point I am trying to make is that driving while impaired is the problem, not the substance the driver was using. No one should get behind the wheel when stoned, drunk, or even on medications they have been prescribed unless they know how they react to the med and if it causes any impairment or not.

Also,something that has not been made as clear as it should, is that just because a person tests positive for pot doesn’t mean they were driving while high. It just means that person used pot sometime within 2 weeks of the incident. Realistically, the person could have been high as a kite or perfectly sober when the incident occurred.

I’d love to know how well researched and studied traffic accidents and fatalities on perfectly legal prescription drugs has been. Seeing friends on everything from anti-depressants to anti-anxiety meds to anti-seizure meds and how impaired their function can be would lead me to believe the number of accidents while on regular old Dr. prescribed medication is exactly rare.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.