Fatal Car Crashes Involving Pot Use Have Tripled in U.S., Study Finds

*The legalization of marijuana is an idea that is gaining momentum in the United States, but there may be a dark side to pot becoming more commonplace, a new study suggests.

Fatal crashes involving marijuana use tripled during the previous decade, fueling some of the overall increase in drugged-driving traffic deaths, researchers from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health report.

“Currently, one of nine drivers involved in fatal crashes would test positive for marijuana,” said co-author Dr. Guohua Li, director of the Center for Injury Epidemiology and Prevention at Columbia. “If this trend continues, in five or six years non-alcohol drugs will overtake alcohol to become the most common substance involved in deaths related to impaired driving.”*

Story at Medicine Net

Duh. But then again, we are arguing with potheads, eh?

The legalize it crowd always compares drug laws with Prohibition, but the comparison is silly. Prohibition was a law that declared something morally neutral (legal alcohol sales) wrong and therefore illegal. People paid that law the respect it was innately due: none. The prohibition of alcohol sales and use was widely ignored and people bought the alcohol they wanted anyways. Why? Alcohol has a millennia long place of appropriate and beneficial use in culture and society. It was arbitrary and silly to suddenly declare it totally evil.

Abortion used to be illegal and exceedingly rare. It was appropriate for it to be illegal because it is innately a harmful thing. But making it legal on the argument that legality would help to avoid negative consequences for those getting it illegally resulted in an EXPLOSION of abortion incidence in society.

Pot will be like that. It was illegal because it is (almost) universally a harmful factor in society.* It’s not just the abuse of pot that is harmful, but the ordinary use of it. Let’s face it, people don’t smoke a 1/4 joint to get the bare trace of a THC buzz to enhance a meal and conversation. They smoke to get stoned. That’s the point.

My assertion is that anti-pot laws are going to turn out to be much more like anti-abortion laws than like anti-alcohol laws. The official appearance of approval will legitimize its use and use rates will grow significantly. Hopefully not AS much as abortion did.

• Yeah, Glaucoma and other seriously ill people may benefit. Rare exceptions don’t disprove rules.

I am going on the record to predict this experiment of the legalization of drugs will be a** HUGE** failure. Now, Pandora’s box has been opened, I don’t think it’ll be very easy to close, and it’ll pave the way for the legalization of other, stronger, drugs.

It will change the mindset, that this is acceptable, legal, so why not? I’ve predicted this would make this problem MUCH worse. We’ll see who’s right, but I admit it’d be nice to be able to say, “I told you so”, but it’s sad. It’d be better I was wrong. I watch the US going downhill by the day. It’s just tragic. It used to have a lot of good aspects as a culture. Now, we want to aspire to become nothing more than a nation of potheads, who care only about drugs, nothing else, are passive.

Well, I can’t help but feel like I’m watching the downfall of our country, sort of like Rome, before the fall, which fell, not really through the outside, but through its own immorality and decadence, on the inside.

It is common knowledge that alcohol impairs driving ability as the result of constant campaigning, marijuana isn’t commonly known to impair driving ability (it does).

Also

In an endnote to the study, the researchers pointed to several limitations with the research. One is that marijuana can be detected in the blood up to one week after use. And, therefore, the researchers said, “the prevalence of nonalcohol drugs reported in this study should be interpreted as an indicator of drug use, not necessarily a measurement of drug impairment.”

source

MJ stays in someones system for weeks… doesn’t mean they’re connected but it doesn’t mean they’re not connected either. Could be other factors involved. The only way to know is if the driver is impaired at the time of the accident.

There is no reason to jail someone that uses pot just as there is no reason to jail someone that uses alcohol. If someone drives intoxicated then whether they use alcohol or marijuana they should be punished according to the law for the potential and/or harm to others. No one should be punished and the taxpayer must not expand limited tax resources to jail tens of thousands of people for something that does not directly harm others.

Many insurance companies offer discounts on auto insurance for non-smokers (tobacco), because they have solid data that non-smokers have fewer accidents. There may be a problem getting people to admit they smoke pot because it is still a federal crime to even possess the stuff, but I would definitely expect companies to charge higher rates for people who engage in risky behaviors. It makes perfect sense to me that people who choose unnecessary risks to their health will also drive in ways that are risky.

auto-insurance-helper.com/auto-insurance-rates-for-smokers.html

While it may not be obvious to some, insurance companies also give discounts to people with good credit scores. Research has shown that people who are responsible with credit are also more responsible while driving and have fewer accidents.

I am also sure that people who regularly smoke pot will claim all this is unfair because pot does not affect them, but they are making that argument with a brain that has been affected by pot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.