Fate of Unbaptized Infants

What is the fate of unbaptized infants? I personally think that they temporarily go to purgatory to remove original sin, then go to heaven. Because they have not committed mortal sin, but still have the stain of original sin. Is this consistent with Church teachings. Jesus did say that the kingdom of heaven belongs to kids, and that unless we become like children, then we cannot s.ee God’s kingdom

The Church simply says that we entrust them to our merciful Savior. Many are unsatisfied with this answer. I’ve never had a problem with this answer, because I say to myself, “Do I really see the all-loving, self-sacrificing Savior of the world damning innocent children to Hell because of the fault (or ignorance) of their parents?” No, I don’t.

They go to heaven. :angel1:

They are innocent and our Lord is just and merciful.

There is glory in Heaven that is dependent upon how we are clothed with Christ during our lives. It is reasonable that those that have lived a Holy live have greater glory in their beatification.

Council of Lyons II (1274) and the Council of Florence (1438-45):

"…the souls of those who depart this life in actual mortal sin, or in original sin alone, go straightaway to hell, but to undergo punishments of different kinds.” (Denzinger 464 and 693)

And the Catechism of the Catholic Church states:
1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"63 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

The souls of 50,000,000 aborted children welcome the innocent dead into Jesus presence.

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.

http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/3.gif

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html

or

They go to hell.

They were conceived in sin and never made a single choice for good and our Lord is just.

Of course, we have no idea. I prefer to drop back 10 yards and punt. But if I had to make a guess, I would say, some to heaven, some to hell, just like everybody else.

“But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.”

I guess I just can’t accept the fact someone as bad as hitler could’ve just confessed and repented and have a better chance of going to heaven, while infants who have done nothing wrong within themselves deserve to go to hell. I prefer to believe that they go to purgatory, which I believe is where they are purified of original sin, and then go to heaven

Why would you think some babies go to Hell and others to Heaven? They’re babies-incapable of making decisions; a level playing field. There aren’t “good babies” and “evil babies.” I’ve never seen a baby robbing a bank, or volunteering at a soup kitchen.

^ This :thumbsup:

I feel so sorry for you if this is truly how you believe God treats the innocent. It seems such a sad way to live and view our Lord as someone who doesn’t care for and watch over innocent children. If the thief on the cross goes to heaven at some point- certainly these innocent babies are with him now.

Straight to heaven no stops.

I hope the innocent are with him, and the guilty not. But how is he to decide?

Never made a good choice in their life? Heaven?
Never made a bad choice in their life? Hell?

Neither seems just.

Augustine said: to Hell… all of them.
Aquinas said: to the Fringe of Heaven and Hell, no punishment, only bliss BUT no beatific vision
You say: to Heaven… all of them.

I say: Let God decide based on some criteria. One proposal: Like the angels, given knowledge of Good and Evil, God and Self, and choose: Me or God. Then he can judge based on the choice.

So, the 4 of us disagree. I conceded I have no special knowledge, any more than you. So we should probably go with the Catechism and the Church: Leave them to God. He will decide justly.

I guess there is one more thing to add.

Do not advance your belief as the TRUTH, make sure it is given as an OPINION.

Physician heal thyself.

**MERCY:
Mercy–not getting what you do deserve / withheld punishment
Grace–getting what you don’t deserve / unmerited favor

(Eph 2:3-5) …Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions–it is by grace you have been saved.

**(Ex 33:19) …“I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.”

Heaven is for the innocent and the guilty. We are all guilty and not saved or redeemed without his love, forgiveness and grace.

:thumbsup:

Wow,what troubling statement.Since we as Catholics believe life begins at conception,and we ardently profess our duty to protect the most “innocent” among us,the nacent life in the womb,why then would Our Lord not look upon these innocents with mercy,if in fact they died without the benefit of baptism,through no fault of their own? How is this any different than those in,say third world countries,who have never been given the opportunity to know God,be baptized?My understanding is they too are shown God’s mercy.

What is troubling about saying

Of course, we have no idea. I prefer to drop back 10 yards and punt.

Which means, we kick the question in the air (heaven) and let somebody up there decide.

That is what the Church teaches. We can all have opinions, but that does not give us the answer. At best, it gives us hope. That is what the Church offers: Hope, not certainty.

Do not advance your belief as the TRUTH, make sure it is given as an OPINION.

[quote]Physician heal thyself.

[/quote]

As I said. If I had to pick an option, I would leave it up to God to judge the living and the dead. BUT I do not advance that as TRUTH. That is my opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.