Father denied visa to attend funeral of son

The father has lived in Germany since the age of 12 and is a successful lawyer. The son, a US student, aged 20, died in an accident.

I can’t imagine the pain of losing a child so young and not being permitted to attend the funeral.

1 Like

Same story not behind paywall:

It doesn’t look good on the surface but I also suspect there is back story, that might help explain the embassy response.

Why doesn’t he live with his family in the US already. He’s had prior visas and I assume has visited the US. Perhaps he has a habit of overstaying.

Barring being on a watch list or having been expelled, I would have preferred he got a visa though.

1 Like

IMO the denying of his Visa is a good decision. He has lived in Germany for 40 years, so much for sharing in his son’s life. He is a lawyer so he probably knows his way around legalities; people that cannot meet the requirements of a basic visit are best denied a welcome.

I agree there is more to this story than meets the eye. If he was so close to his son, then why isn’t the family having a funeral in a place where Father can attend. Has Father even been involved in his son’s life or is this just an excuse to overstay a visa? Lawyers with established careers in their home countries are generally not denied entry unless there has already been something fishy going on.

3 Likes

I also hope that there is more to the story. Not about the family relations - I don;t see that as germane - but about perhaps solid evidence of a plan to overstay this visit and leave Germany.
Lacking that, this would be a disgrace,.

We know an Iranian man who has raised a nice family in the US, I haven’t pried into his personal life but he has told me one of his sons is a doctor or dentist. The father does not look like he would have radical inclinations.

That said, the law is the law. There are going to be situations where it probably is unjust just like if an ordinary American citizen is caught doing things.

Last year, a large Iranian terrorist plot on French soil – targeting an exiled Iranian opposition group outside Paris – was foiled with the help of Israeli intelligence. Iranian agents tried to detonate a bomb at a rally which was to be attended by thousands of people, including Rudolph Giuliani, U.S. President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer.

Iran is the number one state sponsor of terrorism, according to the U.S. State Department.

In June, The Daily Telegraph reported that extremists linked to the Iranian-backed terrorist group Hezbollah stockpiled tons of explosive materials in a secret bomb factory in London. Acting on information from Mossad, British authorities confiscated thousands of disposable ice packs containing more than three tons of ammonium nitrate – a common ingredient in homemade bombs.

I’m sure the man is a good citizen but we can’t ignore that the country of Iran has apparently carried out actions in Europe. Someone has to be helping them. We can not forget, the Iranian government currently has American and British citizens in jail.

This man, I’m sure, is fine and upstanding. This is how the justice system works. Maybe there is something in his background that raises red flags.

It’s a joke for you to imagine the consulate has to produce a solid plan that he might overstay.

It works in the opposite way, the visa requestor has to meet bars of evidence that they won’t be a likely candidate to abuse the visa.

You got that burden of proof thing all mixed up in your head again.

1 Like

I expect our government officials to act on evidence. Not caprice. Was there any evidence that this person was likely to abuse the visa? That is the question.

2 Likes

I doubt we would have the information available that immigration might have. Maybe we will in the future.

2 Likes

After reading the whole article…it would seem that it’s just as likely it is just spite by this present administration that barred him from attending his sons funeral because he is Iranian born…that’s as legitimate an option as all the posts on here saying there must be more to the story why he was denied.

1 Like

It’s all speculation at this point, we obviously do not have the information that federal agencies have like the FBI, CBP and so on. There is no evidence as well that it is caprice either.

The thing about Spies and I’m certainly not saying this gentleman is one, but the thing is, they can be very deep-seeded into their persona. So, this lawyer has fought “discrimination” cases, what might this mean?

1 Like

So here you go speculating…make the claim there is no evidence it is caprice…(by this administration)…but then…throw out words like “spies”…perhaps you’d like to inform us why he has fought “discrimination” cases…and what it might mean…sheesh…talk about speaking with forked tongue

Hey, anyone who wants to sympathize with the dad is welcome to do so.

We all know that we are not automatically welcome in any other country we choose to visit. The entitlement complex that it’s okay for just anybody to step foot in any country they choose is not how the world works. We are a guest in other countries and they can choose to lock the door. Same for USA. Muting this thread now.

No, nobody is throwing out any allegations and I don’t appreciate that last bit in the post, if we are speculating which we are, all information should be put on the table. I do believe we should all be celebrating free speech, not censoring it.

So, he’s been in Germany for 40 years, 2009, 1999, 1989, 1979. Year of Iranian revolution, 1978–79. I would hope we could all just look at the information we have available with some courtesy towards others.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, are Catholics not supposed to give the benefit of doubt?

I think that starting with the assumption that “this present administration” is acting spitefully without any evidence to support it is a bad assumption. I doubt that the relatively low-level staffer at the embassy has any leadership guidance memo that says to be spiteful to Iranians, nor do I believe that anyone at the “administration” level had anything to do with this man’s application.
I feel sorry fro the man in this circumstance but I believe there is more to the story than we know (or need to know).

1 Like

If you read the article he stated that he had H1/H2 visas in the past and learned it had been revoked in 2017…so it was revoked under “this present administration”…so I “speculated” it likely was out of “spite”…just like most on here have been “speculating” that there must be more to why he was barred from entering the US…so…why must there be more…I put a different side to what others here have…I didn’t read anything in the article to indicate he has done anything to be barred…that’s it…I don’t know the guy…I don’t take his side…or support him…I do feel for him as dad who has lost his son…that’s it…I’m done here.

The "administration " is hundreds of thousands of government employees working on an incredible variety of tasks all over the world. The implication that President Trump had any involvement is incredible. No, you didn’t use his name but I believe that somehow you think the president wanted to attack Iran through this poor man at his time of loss.

1 Like

I voted for President Trump…and support most…not all…of his policies…so I personally don’t care who you “believe” I was referring to…if I was I would have named him…I hope that is clear

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.