Father denied visa to attend funeral of son

The way of the law is often unjust, that’s really what “Les Miserables” is about, the man steals half a loaf of bread because his family is hungry. It seems what happened to him is unjust. I would NOT assert some sort of vindictiveness with the administration. Most administrations have something happen and maybe it is a bit like this. Oh, and by the way, I heard Obama cracked down likewise, on Cuban refugees so these kinds of things seem to happen.

Obama has axed immigration privileges for Cubans. Here’s how they may try to get around it.

By Nick Miroff

January 13, 2017

President Obama’s move to rescind certain immigration privileges for Cubans arriving in the United States has rolled up the cushy welcome mat that for two decades essentially allowed any islander to stay if they reach American soil.

[Obama ending special immigration status for migrants fleeing Cuba]

Symbolically, it’s a big deal, nudging the United States and Cuba further along the “normalization” path Obama and Cuba’s Raúl Castro announced in December 2014. But as a practical matter, it’s unclear to what extent it can slow Cuban migration to the United States, which has more than doubled in the past two years.

Related:

Policy-wise, revoking an H1B1 visa might have all kinds of reasons for doing so. Perhaps, someone else got it. Perhaps the lawyer was not using his H1B1 visa. I’m sure there are dozens of reasons that could happen.

And the Cubans, I mean, they are coming over in dinghies, rafts, whatever they can use.

The people involved in this are career diplomats, the admin would not get involved in such mundane requests. I await the rest of the story. It could be just meanness by the local staff, it could be tighter requirements, or they could have cause that would even precede Trump becoming POTUS.

3 Likes

To Mr. Iranbomy?

That is what gives me hope that it is not just caprice. it Trump wre directly involved, I would not be as sure.

Might be very simple. It might simply be that the government is extra careful and not very quick about granting visas to Iranians, given the fact that Iran considers itself in a state of war with the U.S.

1 Like

Fair point.

And there is nothing to prevent multiple memorials for the same person, whether in the same country or different country.

He is a German citizen and has lived there for decades. Is national origin of a naturalized citizen naturalized in a different county criterion for denial for a visa to attend one’s son’s funeral?
Is this story compatible with what was revealed in the news article?

Things will get interesting when Iran’s soccer team plays in the North American continent. I can’t imagine how many fans will be turned away.

I think he has a German passport. Many questions come up, like why is he separated from his family who appear to be US citizens. Illegal immigration through visa overstays is also an issue with 1st world countries.

1 Like

A passport does not tell where one’s sympathies lie.

Indeed no, on this particular matter I’d say as all of us here lack access to why this decision was made their may be compelling reasons to refuse the visa.

2 Likes

Alright, I want justice to be fair.

The gentleman is apparently part of the organization, “Lawyers without Borders”, is it possible they could defend some individuals sometimes we might be unsure about? I found his facebook page and one apparently for his practice (with translation I’ve read some of it).

26 JAN SUSPECTED “TALIBAN SYMPATHIZER” SENTENCED IN GIESSEN

https://iranbomy.com/vermeintlicher-taliban-sympathisant-giesen-verurteilt/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vakil.irani.dr.dr.iranbomy/?ref=py_c

I’m sure he has the best of intentions but it’s like her,e a lawyer can be involved in a lot of different issues.

What if there was an American lawyer who had represented gangs say. Might foreign governments look through his paperwork a little more closely? And the above is basically a bit about what I was thinking about per "discrimination’, not necessarily, the kind of discrimination where one is not accepted in a restaurant for instance. The gentleman surely has integrity and probably the best of intentions, I’m just saying, there are often other issues at play.

1 Like

Exactly. Most anything proposed here will be nothing more than speculation, and perhaps it is nothing more than a time-frame issue. The visa process I would assume takes some amount of time to complete, and funerals don’t always have the luxury of being rescheduled.

3 Likes

Muslim funerals can’t be rescheduled either, it is incumbent on the surviving family members to bury the deceased as swiftly as possible and if it is a traditional Muslim funeral coffins are not used unless mandated by law. Nor is embalming generally used. When my friends father died he was buried in a simple white shroud and the general rule is that overt emotion should be restrained at the graveside and dignified mourning should occur. A couple of other points are that flowers are not used in very traditional Muslim funerals although that rule is often broken or bent.

2 Likes

But it’s OK to start with the assumption, without any evidence to support it, that this man has evil motives. :roll_eyes:

I don’t think judging the character of anyone is what we are called to do. Rather, simply assume unless shown otherwise this was a valid, legitimate decision and in doing so that doesn’t mean you are impugning the character man or the people who reviewed the case. That seems fair.

1 Like

I agree that we should not be speculating about the character of Mr. Iranbomy. I am also hopeful that there there was a valid, legitimate reason for the decision. At the same time, from what has been reported there is some reason to seek a review of the matter. This should not be taken as impugning the character of the person who did the review but for oversight of and accountability about the processes and criteria employed in the decision. Eternal vigilance …

I’d say more accurately not to speculate about the character anyone involved, unless we know them personally. If the situation warrants some re view, so be it, if those processes are in place.

I agree. But the only person whose character was discussed in the the thread, was Mr. Iranbomy.

Agreed. It may help to write to Congress.

Part of the dehumanization process is stamping out all compassion.

2 Likes

Please show where I did so. I merely stated that there isprobably more to the story than has been reported. That did not make any assumptions about the man.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.