Father God or Heavenly Father?

When I pray I usually start with “Heavenly Father”. I have never used “Father God”.

Now, I have some friends who are non-Catholic but Christian (from mega church denominations,) who start with “Father God”.

Ive not experienced any of the Catholic Parishes use “Father God”. Is it used in the West?

MJ

I believe the first person of the trinity is genderless God is beyond human comprehension and I address God as simple O Holy One,

I have never come across this usage it sounds to pagan to me “Father God” like odin the father god or zeus the father god I don’t care for it.

Now I have heard Mormons using it but evangelical christians no.

Apart from Our Father, most prayers I know say Eternal Father.

I have never heard of Father God.

Sounds fair to me. :slight_smile:

I have never come across this usage it sounds to pagan to me “Father God” like odin the father god or zeus the father god I don’t care for it.

I must be frank, I don’t care for it either. However, the mega church types I know don’t believe in saints nor intercessors, so I had a impression “Father God” as to show they aren’t Catholic sounding:shrug:

Now I have heard Mormons using it but evangelical christians no.

Aren’t mega church types evangelical? :hmmm: I don’t know…

MJ

Ah. Then I would like to question my friend about this. Ive not heard it used until just recently. I think my friend also uses the NLT Bible. No idea whether there is a connection. :shrug:

MJ

I sometimes use Heavenly Father. I think I picked up the habit from some LDS people (Mormons) I’ve known over the years. But just because Mormons commonly use it doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it.

(I personally have no Mormon background, and am Episcopalian.)

OPEN my mouth, O Lord, that I may bless thy holy name. Cleanse my heart from all vain, evil and wandering thoughts; enlighten my understanding, enkindle my affections, that I may worthily recite this Office with attention and devotion, and may worthily be
heard before the presence of thy Divine Majesty. Through Christ our Lord.
Amen

O Lord, in union with that Divine Intention wherewith thou didst thyself praise God, while as thou wast on earth, I offer these Hours (or this Hour) unto thee.

PATER noster, qui es in cælis, sanctificétur nomen tuum. Advéniat regnum tuum. Fiat volúntas tua, sicut in cælo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidiánum da nobis hódie.
Et dimítte nobis débita nostra, sicut et nos dimíttimus debitóribus nostris. Et ne nos indúcas in tentatiónem: sed líbera nos a malo. Amen.

OUR Father, Who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name. Thykingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Peace

Never heard it at all, prior to this!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.