Father Gruner

I prefer the TLM but it is getting difficult for me to attend this mass as I do not have the transportation anymore. Father Gruner says mass in my town and it would be a lot easier to get there but I keep hearing he is excommunicated and I would not be able to receive communion from him. Could anyone clarify this for me? Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks and God bless

Is he saying Mass at a regular diocesan parish? I don’t believe he is excommunicated but I believe there have been times when he did not have faculties to say Mass. Your best bet is to call the diocese and ask that question.

If interested, EWTN has an article on Fr. Gruner and it talks about his suspension in 2001 as well as his appeal of that suspension being rejected by the highest Church court, the Apostolic Signature: ewtn.com/expert/answers/fr_gruner.htm.

But I would do as Corki had mentioned, and call the diocese to make sure.

Brooklyn Diocesan Chancellor, Msgr. Anthony Hernandez:

Recently, our Diocesan Bishop, the Most Reverend Nicholas DiMarzio, received confirmation from the Holy See that the Reverend Nicholas Gruner, who is currently incardinated in the Archdiocese of Hyderabad, in India, continues to labor under the canonical sanction of suspension, cf. Can. 1333, which has been confirmed by the Apostolic Signatura in Rome. … Please be advised that the Diocese of Brooklyn has consistently rejected the veracity of the claims concerning the alleged Marian apparitions in Bayside, Queens. Recently, Bishop DiMarzio released a statement reaffirming the positions of his two predecessors, Most Reverend Francis J. Mugavero and the Most Reverend Thomas V. Daily. This statement was printed in The Tablet (June 7) and is posted on the diocesan website in order that the faithful of the Diocese of Brooklyn be fully informed of the Church’s decision on this matter. Given that Father Gruner remains suspended, and, given that the alleged Bayside apparitions have been rejected by the legitimate ecclesiastical authorities, the faithful are strongly discouraged from participating in any events connected to Father Gruner or St. Michael’s World Apostolate.

Father Gruner has no faculties as they have all been suspended. You should avoid anything involving him.

Rev. Gruner is suspended and should not be saying Mass publicly. Catholics should certainly not be attending such Masses or supporting Rev. Gruner’s.disobedience.

Is this a “safe” Fatima Organization?

americaneedsfatima.org/

To the Op: Its best to attend a Mass that is in diocesan structure.

Pax

I have my reasons for not trusting “America Needs Fatima”. First of all, I don’t like the way people are distributing their material leaving them on people’s cars in the Church parking lot as well as sticking them inside the Church. You always need to get the pastor’s approval to leave anything in Church. Second, years ago I called the organization to find out a little more about them. They were not even familiar with the World Apostolate of Fatima,"… the only Fatima apostolate which speaks officially to the world in the name of the Church and with the authority of the Church…" The representative from ANF seemed ignorant of other organizations that may be spreading some untruths along the way. And he didn’t see anything wrong with reading material and following any organization that promotes the Fatima message. I did not bother trying to prove or disprove the organization, America Needs Fatima. But the way that I look at it, if you want to learn about the apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima why not go to the official source, THE WORLD APOSTOLATE OF FATIMA
wafusa.org/the-apostolate/about/
The World Apostolate of Fatima – “Our Lady’s Blue Army” – is a Public International Association of the Faithful under The Pontifical Council for the Laity. As such, it is the only Fatima apostolate which speaks officially to the world in the name of the Church and with the authority of the Church about the apparitions of Our Lady at Fatima, Portugal in 1917 to three little shepherd children, and the message from heaven she delivered during those apparitions.
To read the Decree of the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for the Laity granting permanent status of the apostolate as a Public International Association of the Faithful, please click here
Decree WAF Permanent Approval – Oct.2010

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.