Father Shoots Neighbor's Pit Bull

A local father shot and killed a neighbor’s pit bull. The dog was loose and had followed a child into the dad’s home.
Law enforcement says no one will face charges because of the incident-- not the father for shooting the dog in front of children, nor the pit bull’s owner for letting the dog get out.
It happened in a quiet neighborhood west of Lantana, the dog shot in the driveway of the home of J.R. Martin. Martin declined comment.

cbs12.com/news/dog_4710909___article.html/pit_bull.html

Sounds like a legitimate thing for the father to do.

Here is an small part of the story from the link above, despite other reports that the dog acted friendly to some other people:

But here’s what the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office and Animal Control say happened. At least two girls were meeting at the Martin home for a ride to school. The pit bull followed one girl into the house and bit Martin’s beagle. Martin first tried to scare away the pit bull with a BB gun, but the dog returned, reportedly growling at the children. Martin took out his .9 mm gun and shot the pit bull. The dog then ran down the street and died.

While not all Pit Bull are bad, I do think there need to be laws that hold their masters more accountable. I view vicious dogs as a form of weapon. Many owners of Pit Bulls pride themselves on instilling fear into their neighbors and many intentionally encourage their dogs to be vicious and aggressive.

It’s appalling how many times you hear about these dogs attacking and killing children and even other dogs. I personally do not think they belong in densely populated areas. They are all over the place here in L.A. with the most irresponsible owners.

As a father of two small children, I would not hesitate to kill one of these dogs if the situation called for it – and I am a dog lover with two dogs now and dogs all my life. People don’t understand what a vicious dog is and often refuse to believe their dogs have the potential to do serious harm.

I agree with you folks on this. The father was well within his rights…the dog was intruding in his house and would not leave. How else should he have handled it?

I dunno.

What I know is we have 4 dogs in our home, 3 yappy things and 1 big dog. I know my dogs are my responsibility. If they get out, its my fault. If they bite someone, its my fault. I’d be pretty broken up if I had to shoot a dog in my house but I don’t see that there was another practical solution. I’m curious how it got into the house? But once its in the house and once it bears its fangs and growls, then all bets are off. The father had to defend his family and a big dog, no matter what the breed, can kill or seriously injure a child very very quickly.

Hmm . . . it seems the dog was in the driveway when it was shot. If one of my dogs somehow finds it’s way into another person’s house, then leaves the house and is shot in the driveway, I think I would be pretty angry. I wonder what really happened here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.