Father Ted...

Anybody watch or like this programme?..hilarious stuff

Dear friend

VERY hilarious! :rotfl: I’ve seen every episode.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

i have not seen the show, but i’ve read the teleplays online.

it’s offensive.

i don’t find the caricatures funny at all.

it insults the dignity of the vocation.

i have a sense of humor, but i also think this program is bigotry plain and simple.

all that said, it’s not worth getting steamed over. but i would never recommend itand i am glad it is no longer running (so far as i understand, except in syndication, since the lead actor has sadly passed away).

I had seen one or two episodes years ago. I found it utterly, utterly repulsive and emailed complaints to the network. They answered me that they considered it “laughing at ourselves”. George Bernard Shaw once said this: “Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him.” This strategy, however, is finally wearing somewhat thin for the British. Sorry, but as a North American of partly Irish descent I will not tolerate this nonsense for another minute. I don’t like to promote disharmony but this is a sore point for me after considerable research into the matter.

Well, maybe I’m in the minority but I’ve seen every episode as well and I think it’s hilarious, too. :stuck_out_tongue: Fr.McGuire is my favorite. I think most of it’s gentle humor not meant to offend. Not everything needs to be incredibly serious. :slight_smile:

yeah, i find the idea of putting a dog collar on a beliigerant drunk old priest to take him for a walk really “gentle humor not meant to offend.”

just yuck.

Huh. I don’t remember that episode. What one was that in? (we have the dvd set). I remember Dougal taking Jack out to the cliffs and forgetting him though :stuck_out_tongue: .

it was the episode in which father ted was supposed to do an interview about the island but father dougal (?) did it instead? and the “idiot” priest was going on about how nice playgrounds are and something about a spider-baby in the tabloids.

i’m sorry i don’t remember it better. but the tea-serving housekeeper comes in and there is some squabble over who has to take the “old drunk sot” for his walk to air him out and there was a leash involved.

maybe it would be funny if they weren’t priests? i find it in the worst possible taste, though. it’s mean-spirited, unGodly, and there isn’t a redemptive quality in any of these holy men worth admiring.

again, i have a sense of humor. i find monty python hilarious. but this is just nasty stuff.

I know it slightly mocks cathioliscism but you have to take it with a pinch of salt i think!

its all in good fun1

father ted parodys corrupt and inept priests, perhaps if our bishops and cardinals were a bit more interested in enforcing the rules etc then script writers would be robbed of their ammunition, but it is quite a funny show, it is not anti catholic, you could argue it is anti idiot priests who get such a noble vocation a bad name

I’m in religious formation and heartily enjoy Father Ted. I think that part of this has to do with environment, though. In my experience, priests and religious tend to like the show. It’s clear parody, but I think that on some level we enjoy seeing ourselves parodied. Is it over-the-top and offensive at times? Yes, but the screenwriters are obviously kooky enough that one could expect the same sort of exagerration if they were writing about the queen. They no more intend to suggest that old priests are to be treated like dogs then to suggest that all old men have hairy hands and titanium-strength fingernails. I think that far better Catholic humor could exist, but I’ve yet to see it. Hmmm, perhaps that’s a new thread coming on…

[quote=FenianMan]I’m in religious formation and heartily enjoy Father Ted. I think that part of this has to do with environment, though. In my experience, priests and religious tend to like the show. It’s clear parody, but I think that on some level we enjoy seeing ourselves parodied. Is it over-the-top and offensive at times? Yes, but the screenwriters are obviously kooky enough that one could expect the same sort of exagerration if they were writing about the queen. They no more intend to suggest that old priests are to be treated like dogs then to suggest that all old men have hairy hands and titanium-strength fingernails. I think that far better Catholic humor could exist, but I’ve yet to see it. Hmmm, perhaps that’s a new thread coming on…
[/quote]

Dear friend

I agree with you. We can take ourselves too seriously. If we can’t laugh at ourselves then we shouldn’t laugh at anyone else. I don’t think Father Ted is designed to have a good old dig at Catholics, I think it is as you say a parody of stereotypes and I find it hilarious. As a formative lay Carmelite I don’t feel insulted by any of it, it is just a bit of fun.

A person would have to be extremely stupid or very naive to watch Father Ted and think that that is actually how Catholic Priests and Catholics are.

Some of my friends had a Father Ted party and we all dressed up as characters from the show, I went as Mrs Doyle and my boyfriend at the time went as Father Jack. On the way to the party we had some hilarious comments and people asked us if we were Catholic, I said I was and it was an opportunity to witness to my faith, it also showed that we are not so stuffy and do have a sense of humour. It was a great night and a good party.

I take my faith seriously, but I cannot take myself so seriously as to be offended by it.

I’ll say a little prayer for your Vocation. :slight_smile:

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Hehe, I was hoping I might find a Father Ted post somewhere around here! :smiley:

I just love the show, I can’t get tired of it! Of the dozen or so Catholics I know who have seen it, it’s about evenly split between love and disgust. And in fact, I read somewhere that when the show first aired, there were exactly 2 complaints–one was that it was too anti-Catholic, and one that it was too pro-Catholic.

I’m not really sure how it could be considered exactly pro-Catholic, but I can say that it gives me a bit of extra appreciation for Catholicism and for real priests! :slight_smile:

All in all, I view it at face-value—an absurd comedy with absurd characters. The priests are no more absurd than any of the other characters, or than the incredible situations they find themselves in. I find them just lovable and endearing enough not to be annoying, or offensive stereotypes. Especially Father Dougal! :smiley:

“Speed 3” is my personal favorite episode. :slight_smile:

OK, enough fan gushing! :wink:

well, i think its pretty funny myself

Never seen it. It sounds interesting though, :smiley: where would one find it? :confused:

I’ve seen all of them!!

It is a Channel 4 production so it is easier for me to watch it anyway.

The main guy “Father Ted” died so they stopped making them in 1997 or sometime around then.

My entire mothers side of the family are Irish - in fact they are from the same location that it is filmed, my grandad doesn’t find it too funny, but I think that is because the character “Mrs Doyle” is a little bit too real :smiley:

“Speed 3” is my personal favorite episode.

The portable mass on that is completely ridiculous. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Father Ted very funny.

“Let me explain, the money was just resting in my account”. :thumbsup:

[quote=Lost&Found]I had seen one or two episodes years ago. I found it utterly, utterly repulsive and emailed complaints to the network. They answered me that they considered it “laughing at ourselves”. George Bernard Shaw once said this: “Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him.” This strategy, however, is finally wearing somewhat thin for the British. Sorry, but as a North American of partly Irish descent I will not tolerate this nonsense for another minute. I don’t like to promote disharmony but this is a sore point for me after considerable research into the matter.
[/quote]

I completely agree with you.

I am a huge fan of many British sit-coms . . . but thought that “Father Ted” was disgusting and repulsive.

Blessings,

[quote=boots]it was the episode in which father ted was supposed to do an interview about the island but father dougal (?) did it instead? and the “idiot” priest was going on about how nice playgrounds are and something about a spider-baby in the tabloids.

i’m sorry i don’t remember it better. but the tea-serving housekeeper comes in and there is some squabble over who has to take the “old drunk sot” for his walk to air him out and there was a leash involved.

maybe it would be funny if they weren’t priests? i find it in the worst possible taste, though. it’s mean-spirited, unGodly, and there isn’t a redemptive quality in any of these holy men worth admiring.

again, i have a sense of humor. i find monty python hilarious. but this is just nasty stuff.
[/quote]

Wow, this is an old thread, Nope, no leash involved in that episode. Sorry. :slight_smile: Funny, I find Monty Python not very funny but this show hilarious. Go figure.

I’ve seen 'em all. :o It’s a great show. Sometimes the BBC network has reruns on in the afternoon. :thumbsup:

I have not viewed any Fr Ted but I do like some other Brit tv…like Keeping up Appearences and Are you being Served…

My sons fav is Red Dwarf…that one I don’t know…seems kind of :confused: :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.