Father Thomas Byles of the Titanic

Father Thomas Byles of the Titanic

fatherbyles.com/

• I had this in Popular Media awhile back.

Ahh, you again ?

I was reading this and thought it was a fascinating and beautiful read, and then I see it’s you who posted it…

Thanks…

I think that through Father Byles, many souls were saved that perhaps might not have been saved otherwise, and those saved souls have been praying for all of their fellow passengers as well…

Cheers !

Thank you for the information as I had not heard of Fr. Byles before.

Beautiful. Thank you so much, for posting it!

God bless. :slight_smile:

I hadn’t heard of him either. He is, apparently, one of the many “forgotten” ones. Of that disaster, that is.

Father Byles was very brave. I’m glad you posted this link.

I remember learning about him two years ago when the Titanic display came to our museum. I just stood in front of his portrait in shock re-reading the words “He will not survive.” over and over again. I researched him when I got home and really fell in love with his spirit. He’s very special to me. I’m thinking of taking his name for confirmation, so it would be Thomas Byles and St. Thomas Aquinas.

You’re very welcome…

When I was watching the movie “Titanic” (1997) it never really dawned on me that there was a Priest there holding hands and praying for the people. I knew that Rose, Jack, and Cal were all made up characters. However, it wasn’t until 3-4 years ago I watched the movie “Titanic” again and I just knew that somehow or someway that that Priest couldn’t be a “made-up” character. So, I had to “investigate” and that is how I came to know about Fr. Thomas Byles.

Personally, I think that is the most heart-wrenching part of the Movie when I see him holding on to those people’s hands and praying with/for them

youtube.com/watch?v=05z5NUE-PwI

Another link about Fr. Thomas Byles

cincymuseum.com/explore_our_sites/special_exhibits_events/current_exhibits/titanic_spiritual_heroes.pdf

I read an article where a woman who survived the Titanic recalled that as they floated away, you could hear the screams of those left behind and the calm steady voice of Father Byles sooting and praying with people. That was very touching for me as I tried to imagine what it would’ve been like and how courageous he was.

Yes, that is truly touching.

According to this website the Pope declared Fr. Thomas Byles a martyr for the church.

encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/fr-byles.html

I wonder if he is recognized as a Saint by the Catholic Church?

I don’t believe he is. But I was actually wondering for a little while now if he was being considered for canonization? I knew the other 27-year-old Lithuanian priest was, though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.