fathers for protestants

Can anyone direct me to some information reguarding the early church fathers? This would be for a non-catholic so what i’m looking for is something thats not catholic bias, if that makes any sense or i’ll just hear that this stuff is catholic, i’m not reading this catholic stuff.
So any help would be most appreciated.:smiley:
:blessyou:

Hey there,

You can find the Church Fathers online on this web-site, which I don’t think is Catholic.
ccel.org/fathers2/

Hope this helps!
~Stylite

[quote=faithbound]Can anyone direct me to some information reguarding the early church fathers? This would be for a non-catholic so what i’m looking for is something thats not catholic bias, if that makes any sense or i’ll just hear that this stuff is catholic, i’m not reading this catholic stuff.
So any help would be most appreciated.:smiley:
:blessyou:
[/quote]

How are you going to avoid a Catholic perspective since they were all Catholic?

There were no denominations except Catholic. All denominations were spread like a disease after 1532, then where you going to get fathers for Protestants.

I would recommend Jurgens’ 3-volume set, “The Faith of the Early Fathers”.

As for a “catholic bias”—I don’t know how you’re going to get around that, as the early Church fathers WERE Catholic. I guess all you can do is to have them read the Fathers on their own and make their own judgements. Of course, they’ll find some individuals here and there that differ with some Church teaching from time to time, but then they aren’t infallible.

[quote=Stylite]Hey there,

You can find the Church Fathers online on this web-site, which I don’t think is Catholic.
ccel.org/fathers2/

Hope this helps!
~Stylite
[/quote]

That website is run by Calvin College, so I’m guessing “pro-Catholic” bias will not be an issue. :smiley:

My thoughts as well, Mary3 :wink:

Sherlock, Ignatius and Selvaraj,
I think Faithbound is looking for palatable packaging so that the one who will be reading the Fathers will not discard them out of hand. If someone has a heavy bias against Catholicism, this approach would make alot of sense.

God bless,
~Stylite

Jurgens is good stuff, it just presents the material with some background on most of the writings.

I bought Volume one and it seems to be the biggest and best out there for the early church fathers.

I like this site: zeitun-eg.org/

It has many resources useful for our studies…

Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140444750/qid=1110421367/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-5023804-1031013?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

HIstory of the Church by Eusebius
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140445358/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/103-5023804-1031013?v=glance&s=books&st=*

Eusebius is not a collection of writings by the Fathers, but a good, close-to-the-ground history. Essential.

I’ve seen both of these books regularly stocked at local books stores.

FaithBound, You say you don’t want to read any of that old Catholic stuff. But you want to read the “early church fathers”.

I have news for you. *ALL OF THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS WERE CATHOLIC. Da da de dum!

[quote=Stylite]Sherlock, Ignatius and Selvaraj,
I think Faithbound is looking for palatable packaging so that the one who will be reading the Fathers will not discard them out of hand. If someone has a heavy bias against Catholicism, this approach would make alot of sense.

God bless,
~Stylite
[/quote]

Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

May the peace of Christ be with you.

[quote=Stylite]Hey there,

ccel.org/fathers2/

Hope this helps!
~Stylite
[/quote]

That site is Calvinist, so it should work fine.

[quote=Beaver]I like this site: zeitun-eg.org/

It has many resources useful for our studies…
[/quote]

Very good site, I downloaded the Church Fathers from that site a while back. It is so easy to search through them.

stmina-monastery.org/ecf_htmlhlp.zip

Here is the Church Fathers to download.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.