Fatima and the Rosary

I just don’t get it. From what I understand, the Church says that we don’t have to pray the Rosary, it’s well recemended but not mandatory. So why then did Mary make a strict issue about it at Fatima? She told them to pray the rosary, especially the boy and then he was able to see her. I don’t get it, did his heart suddenly change from reciting a meditation? It’s just . . . strange to me.

Minor nitpick - you don’t recite a meditation. Meditation means THINKING. And what we think about when we pray the Rosary is particular events in the lives of Jesus and Mary.

And I absolutely believe that thinking about the life, sufferings and resurrection of Jesus, and the Assumption and heavenly glory of Our Lady, can change people’s hearts - it certainly changed the hearts of many of the people who saw the events happen, no?

The soldier saw Jesus die and said ‘truly this was the Son of God’. The Apostles received the Holy Spirit on Pentecost and put their belief into action. Thinking about His death and His sending of the Holy Spirit while praying the Rosary has no less an impact on people these days - as I can vouch from personal experience.

I wish I were like you.

So are you saying by simply saying and pondering on one rosary, right then and there, suddenly changed his heart? That he had darkness within his heart prior?

Our Lady never said it was a sin not to pray the Rosary. So, in effect, she highly recommended it, the same as what the Church does.

Go here to read the great promises for the rosary:

fatima.org/essentials/requests/promises.asp

Mary never said that failure to say the Rosay is a sin that wuld lead someone to hell. This is what it would mean is she said it was mandatory.

I never said that our Lady said that :slight_smile:

I just don’t quite understand how a child one moment cannot see Mary, prays a Rosary (I’m sure he pondered on it too) and then poof there she is. It’s…difficult to understand for me. Though I’ve never really been intellegent so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Darkness? Why darkness? Did Mary Magdalene have darkness in her heart because she didn’t recognise Christ at first when she saw Him after the Resurrection? There are lots of other posibilities than darkness.

As for a sudden change of heart - don’t you believe in sudden changes of heart? Don’t you think the soldier had a sudden change of heart? Or St Paul? Especially St Paul. Remember his change happened in an instant - no time to even pray or do anything on the road to Damascus.

And his heart was full of darkness and actual hatred of Christ and His followers, so it would’ve been truly difficult to change. Unlike Francisco who even before Our Lady appeared had a love for Christ and probably for her as well. :shrug:

Our Blessed Mother has encouraged us to recite the Rosary every day because she is concerned about the eternal welfare of our souls. The Rosary is a powerful form of prayer through which we receive much helping grace in our spiritual battle against the serpent, Satan, and his offspring, the forces of darkness. Mary has interceded on our behalf ever since the wedding feast in Cana. Jesus performed his first miracle on the guests’ behalf and approached the cross on behalf of the human race by his mother’s solicitation. John is teaching us something very important about Mary, our spiritual mother and Mother of the Church. It would appear that Jesus wills we approach his mother and our Queen Mother when we want for more wine - his divine grace. What better way to petition Mary than by saying the Rosary? :shrug:

So Adonijah continued, “Please ask King Solomon - he will not refuse you to give me Abishag for my wife.”

“Very well,” Bethsheba replied. “I will speak to the king for you.”

When Bethsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king’s mother, and she sat down at his right hand.

They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary, his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage.
Matthew 2, 10-11

“I have one small request to make of you,” she said. [FONT=“Book Antiqua”][size=]“Do not refuse me.”[/size][/FONT]

The King replied, “Make it, my mother; I will not refuse you.”

When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine."
John 2, 3

[size=]So she said, “Let Abishag the Shunammite be given in marriage to your brother Adonijah.”[/size]

His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you."
John 2, 5

1 Kings 2, 17-21

From the Apostolic Exhortation ‘Marialis Cultus’:

1. …The Church’s norm of faith requires that her norm of prayer should everywhere blossom forth with regard to the Mother of Christ. Such devotion to the Blessed Vigin…is based on the singular dignity of Mary, “Mother of the Son of God, and therefore beloved daughter of the Father and Temple of the Holy Spirit - Mary, who, because of this extraordinary grace, is far greater than any other on earth or in heaven.” [119] This devotion takes into account the part she played at decisive moments in the history of salvation which her Son accomplished, and her holiness, already full at her Immaculate Conception yet increasing all the time as she obeyed the will of the Father and accepted the path of suffering…growing constantly in faith, hope, and charity. Devotion to Mary recalls too her mission and the special position she holds within the People of God, of which she is the pre-eminent member, a shining example and the loving Mother. it recalls her unceasing and efficacious intercession which…draws her close to those who ask her help…

2. …Mary’s many-sided mission to the People of God is a supernatural reality which operates and bears fruit within the body of the Church…producing in the children the spiritual characteristics of the first-born Son. The Virgin’s maternal intercession, her exemplary holiness and the divine grace which is in her become for the human race a reason for divine hope.

The Blessed Virgin’s role as Mother leads the People of God to turn with filial confidence to her who is always ready to listen with a mother’s affection and efficacious assistance. Thus the People of God have learned to call on her as the Consoler of the afflicted, the Health of the sick, and the Refuge of sinners…For she, who is free from sin, leads her children to combat sin with energy and resoluteness. This liberation from sin and evil…is the necessary premise for any renewal of Christian living.

‘Marialis Cultus’ of His Holiness Pope Paul Vl, 2 February 1974

The wine we are in need of for a true Christian life comes in many vintages or forms of grace and virtue reflected in the Mysteries of the Rosary: Humilty, Charity, Poverty in Spirit, Purity, Apostolic Zeal, Repentance, Mortification, Moral Courage, Patience, Fortitude, Love of God, Faith, Hope, Wisdom, a Holy Death, Prudence, and Final Perseverance.

Pax vobiscum
Good Fella :cool:

What makes sense about any miracle? :shrug: What makes sense about God loving us even when we rebel against Him and then sacrificing His Son as propitiation for all our sins?

If we could understand all there is to know about God’s doings, wouldn’t He really be too small to be God?

WHAT in the world are you talking about?? How does that compare?:confused:

I know this seems like no big matter, and it’s not a big matter, though I always think about little things as this. I’m simply saying one moment the boy cannot see her (which makes me think his soul wasn’t pure enough, for some odd reason, being a little boy in all) then he says a Rosary (and I’m sure he meant it) but suddenly he can see her. To me it’s strange.Why couldn’t he just see her from the start?

It’s no stranger than Paul SUDDENLY seeing Jesus on the road to Damascus. Why couldn’t he see Him before? One moment he didn’t see Our Lord, the next he did :shrug:

Paul saw Christ the moment of His appearing, he wasn’t asked to pray, and his soul I’m sure was self-righteous at the time.

Although those traveling with Paul only saw strange lights, that’s interesting as well. I wonder why just light?

This sounds silly, I know, but it’s strange when you think about it. I mean we all know that Light exists in both waves and particle, so in what way does Light radiate off God? And why does it? I wonder if there is a science behind it, something so complex we can’t evenn imagine right now.

The answer to your question is probably between Our Lady and Francisco-surely we do not need to know why, though it is thought-provoking to speculate.

Well, think about this instead:that little boy is to remain in Purgatory until the end of time-according to what our Lady said.

Many people are discouraged by this - that a little boy could sin so badly, but I do not believe that is the case. I think Francisco CHOOSES to remain there, taking the place of one or more persons. You see, this child also chose to fast from water on hot days to help save poor sinners.

So, why not pray to Blessed Francisco and ask him to pray for you to have a better understanding of the mysteries of the rosary.

And begin praying a daily rosary, spend time with our Lady as you recall the suffering and death of our Savior. I can promise you, it will be time well spent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.