Fatima-Pope Pius XI

I’m wondering, if it’s correct that the pope picks his own name, why anyone would want to pick ‘Pius XI’? For Our Lady said at Fatima…

“The war is going to end: but if people do not cease offending God, a worse one will break out during the Pontificate of Pius XI”

Why would any pope after Fatima pick that name if they knew that a worse war would break out during their Pontificate? This assumes that I am correct about the popes picking their own Papal names, which I am only half certain on…

Popes pick their own names. And World War II began while Piux XII was Pope, not Pius XI.

Pope Pius XI became Pope on February 6, 1922, which was only a couple of years after Fatima. The prophecies of Fatima were not well know until much later when Sister Lucia wrote everything down at the request of her bishop.

Besides, how could one circumvent a prophecy from the Blessed Mother???

Then why did Our Lady say

“The war is going to end: but if people do not cease offending God, a worse one will break out during the Pontificate of Pius XI”?

Pius XI WAS Pope in 1939, the year the war broke out.

As for why - well, it’s not as if refusing to take the name of Pius would’ve prevented the war, only our ceasing to offend God - He is not so easily swayed from His intentions as to stop a war for a mere technicality like a name!

But didn’t the war start after (if just a few months after) Pius XI’s death? He died Feb 10, 1939 and WWII began September 1st, 1939. This isn’t during Pius XI’s pontificate.

(forgive me for playing devil’s advocate:doh2: )

Another reason why is that the messages from Fatima are a private revelation and do not require the assent of any faithful Catholic.

We are free to believe that nothing happened there if we wish.

Wars don’t start overnight, there are events that lead up to them. It’s not like everything was hunky dory August 31 1939, then all of a sudden …

I mean Hitler’s army had already annexed the country of Austria in March 1938 just for starters. Does one country militarily invading another not come within the definition of ‘war’?

Pardon me but historians date the starts of wars in various ways.

It is true that Pope Pius XI died February 10, 1939.

But while you can read Wikipedia (the unreliable source) saying, the war is generally held to be in September 1939 when the Germans invaded Poland. it also says, ‘Many belligerents entered the war before or after this date, during a period which spanned from 1937 to 1941, as a result of other events.’

In fact China and Japan started their war before this date, on July 7, 1937, during Pius XI’s reign, and that war become a part of ‘World War 2’.

And so saying that this is a reason to mistrust Fatima is incorrect. :slight_smile:

I am aware of WIkipedia said, wheich means next to nothing. I do not mistrust Fatima; I have even visited there. By menmtioning that Our Lady supposedly mentioned something that is at odds with the almost universally accepted understanding of history (i.e., 1 Sept 39) I was pointing out that this is private revelation and is not binding.

Perhaps Pius XI (Ambrogio Damiano Achille Ratti) wasn’t aware of that prophecy at the time he became Pope? The Church approved of Fatima in 1930 and its possible that he didn’t know about it.

Most historians acknowledge World War II as beginning with the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1937, so I would argue that the fighting did begin under Pius XI.

Does anyone really think that if Ambrogio Damiano Achille Ratti had taken a different name (say, Leo XIV) upon his election, or if Giuseppe Melchiorre Sarto (Pius X) had been the last to use that name, WWII would not have happened??? :confused:

Most historians acknowledge World War II as beginning with the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1937, so I would argue that the fighting did begin under Pius XI.

What is the basis for saying “most historians”? While I am aware of the 1937 fighting, it seems that no text that I have ever read, or lecture that I have ever attended, has ever used anything other than the 1 Sept 39 date. All chronologies in every reference I have always seen have listed the years of WWII as 1939-1945. Who are these “most historians” and why has their work not been apparent to the general population?

Well, I shouldn’t most, but a significant portion do, and the enormous Encyclopedia of World War II they have in the reference section of the college library has 1937-1945 on the cover, and it seems pretty authoritative. That’s my source, at least.

All approval means is that the Church states that something supernatural might have occurred and that it is “worthy of belief”. It is not a part of the deposit of the faith so there is a chance that he did not know what all, or any, of the messages said.

Also, wasn’t it some time after the events of Fatima in 1917 that Sister Lucia recorded what was said at the request of her bishop? When Pius XI took his name as Pope he probably was totally unaware of the events at Fatima.

But that does not mean that he knew what the messages were fully nor that he believed them.

Agreed. I was just commenting on the suggestion that Pope Pius XI could have “avoided” the war by taking another name. My point was that he had probably never even heard the prophecies when he was made pope.

When you see a night illumined by an unknown light know that this is the great sign given you by God that he is about to punish the world for its crimes…"

I believe the strange lights that extended through most of Europe appeared around the time of the Annexation of Austria. Sister Lucia had always designated this occurence as the God given sign to the start of the war as the German machine began rolling.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.