Fatima

I am a fairly new convert, I have been taking short courses on the faith via correspondence. I have received some homework and whilst reading and researching, I found out about the three secrets of Fatima.

The third secret was not revealed even though Our Lady herself requested it be open during 1960s. This bothers me deeply. Why didn’t the Church listen to Our Lady?

No explanation from my Priest or found during my brief research satisfies me. I can’t get over this unsettled feeling that we disobeyed Our Lady. Please tell me I’m over reacting.

Please pray for me. :confused:

From the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in year 2000:

Sister Lucia had already given an indication for interpreting the third part of the “secret” in a letter to the Holy Father, dated 12 May 1982:

[INDENT]*“The third part of the secret refers to Our Lady’s words: ‘If not [Russia] will spread her errors throughout the world, causing wars and persecutions of the Church. The good will be martyred; the Holy Father will have much to suffer; various nations will be annihilated’ (13-VII-1917).

The third part of the secret is a symbolic revelation, referring to this part of the Message, conditioned by whether we accept or not what the Message itself asks of us: ‘If my requests are heeded, Russia will be converted, and there will be peace; if not, she will spread her errors throughout the world, etc.’.

Since we did not heed this appeal of the Message, we see that it has been fulfilled, Russia has invaded the world with her errors. And if we have not yet seen the complete fulfilment of the final part of this prophecy, we are going towards it little by little with great strides. If we do not reject the path of sin, hatred, revenge, injustice, violations of the rights of the human person, immorality and violence, etc.

And let us not say that it is God who is punishing us in this way; on the contrary it is people themselves who are preparing their own punishment. In his kindness God warns us and calls us to the right path, while respecting the freedom he has given us; hence people are responsible”.(5) *

The decision of His Holiness Pope John Paul II to make public the third part of the “secret” of Fatima brings to an end a period of history marked by tragic human lust for power and evil, yet pervaded by the merciful love of God and the watchful care of the Mother of Jesus and of the Church. [/INDENT]

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000626_message-fatima_en.html

I could be wrong but as I recall the request from Our Lady was that the secrets not be revealed until after 1960. This did not mean that she requested them to be made public in 1960 but it was at the pope’s discretion whether or not to make them public. All the messages of Fatima have been revealed including the third secret. Recently Pope emeritus Benedict XVI has confirmed that the third secret of Fatima was released in it’s entirety despite what some rumors to the contrary. Here is the the link to the Vatican document on the Messages of Fatima. It includes a photocopy of the third secret in Lucia’s own handwriting as well as an English translation.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000626_message-fatima_en.html

aleteia.org/2016/05/21/benedict-xvi-confirms-third-secret-of-fatima-released-in-full-says-vatican/ Benedict XVI Confirms Third Secret of Fatima Released in Full Says Vatican

First, it is not correct to say that Our Lady directed that the third secret be revealed in 1960. You may read all about the circumstances by which Sister Lucia committed the final part of the secret to writing; she describes it all in her memoirs.

Second, it is very important to understand the distinction between public revelation, which ended with the death of the last apostle, and private revelations. No one is required to believe in any private revelation although we are free to accept them, if we choose, when they have been judged credible by competent ecclesiastic authority. Even then, they must not be given an out-sized role in one’s life.

This is a topic of some significance that constituted a portion of my lectures when I taught Mariology, before I retired from teaching, and even now as a lecturer in Mariology.

The messages from Fatima are not a back channel of communication to the Holy See. Private revelations that are judged “worthy of belief” can be a help to excite or underscore some element of the content of public revelation – such as the Divine Mercy revelations to Saint Faustina or the Sacred Heart revelations to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque – but they are meant to recall or highlight what is already contained in the Deposit of the Faith…not add to it.

:thumbsup:

I believe that Mary did appear at Fatima. I am a simple man. If a miracle is promised and delivered as promised not only to certain seers but to believers and non-believers alike, I sit up a take notice. However, as a wise post stated, private revelations do not add to the Deposit of Faith, but rather call us to concentrate on specifics, in this case penance return to Christ.
Everyone loves a mystery story and much rubbish has been published about Fatima; “secrets”; the seers etc. Much of it adding nothing to the glory of God but rather distracting us from Mary’s message of repentance. Don’t get caught up in the conspiracy theories and other nonsense. Read the truth from the Vatican and Sister Lucia herself who confirmed that all was revealed. These personal revelations such as Fatima and Lourdes aid us doubters in our faith but you should concentrate more on the teachings of the Church always supported in the Holy Scriptures. Study adds to a man only in knowledge; faith is founded in the sacraments and in prayer. Do both and you feed the whole man.

Nothing was said about the Third Secret being revealed “during” the 1960"s. What Sr. Lucy did say was it was not to be revealed until AFTER 1960. It was up to the POPE when. No time limit tho. Get in touch with the “World Apostolate of Fatima, Blue Army”, in Washington NJ, if you want the truth about Fatima. they are under the guidance of the Vatican. God Bless, Memaw

“The message was not to be opened before 1960. I asked Sister Lucia, “Why this date?” She answered, ‘Because then it will be clearer’ ”-. S. Cardinal Ottaviani

This, from the Holy See, published at the time the secret was revealed, may be useful to the original poster:

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000626_message-fatima_en.html

The World Apostolate of Fatima is, as has been said, a resource that is completely solid, which is not the case with some organizations that concern themselves with Fatima:

laici.va/content/laici/en/sezioni/associazioni/repertorio/world-apostolate-of-fatima.html

worldfatima-englandwales.org.uk/

Since you are in Australia, this link may be helpful to you. It is in Perth, however, but if you are not in Western Australia, they should be able to assist you to be in touch with the organisation there where you are.

wafowa.org/page10/page10.html

Thank you Father for covering this topic. I bolded one sentence. We need to be aware of the times in which we live - hostility to religious authority. Just as one will find a verse in Scripture to justify disobedience to any pastor or bishop, another will use a private revelation to put **ME ** on the throne, so that I can overrule the pope.
In the Tabloid Age, organizations raise money and attention by appealing to that now-rampant temptation.
“What’s the Vatican’s real motive in suppressing part of that Secret?” When someone says “How dare the Church disobey Mary (by not properly consecrating Russia, or this or that)” what they really mean is “How dare the Church disobey ME
The Royal Me, that tempts all of us. It sounds better when they say "How dare the Church disobey Mary, but it’s the royal Me the websites are appealing to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.