Fauci warns of 'anti-science bias' being a problem in US

Fauci said “anti-science bias” in the country can be problematic.

“One of the problems we face in the United States is that unfortunately, there is a combination of an anti-science bias that people are – for reasons that sometimes are, you know, inconceivable and not understandable – they just don’t believe science and they don’t believe authority,” Fauci said.

“So when they see someone up in the White House, which has an air of authority to it, who’s talking about science, that there are some people who just don’t believe that – and that’s unfortunate because, you know, science is truth,” Fauci said.

“It’s amazing sometimes the denial there is. It’s the same thing that gets people who are anti-vaxxers, who don’t want people to get vaccinated, even though the data clearly indicate the safety of vaccines,” Fauci added. “That’s really a problem.”

I’m sharing this because over the past week I’ve become absolutely horrified by the willful ignorance of science I’m seeing in my own community and others like it. A prominent Catholic author’s wife just shared on Facebook that she wonders if there really is no COVID-19 virus and this has all been a ruse. Notice that’s not a claim that it’s not as serious as some assert – it’s a claim that COVID-19 does not exist at all. :flushed: A local high school chemistry teacher said viruses are not spread communicably and we don’t have any non-CGI images of them. I’m stunned.

And frightened.

9 Likes

Oh, it exists. Personally, I know of one person who got the virus and died and another that got it and survived with minimal medical care. I’ve worked through the entire crisis without symptoms and none of my coworkers have tested positive.

What does this mean? Well, maybe my area wasn’t hit that hard. Perhaps my work kept me away from the infected. Maybe I had it and never knew. :man_shrugging:t2:

Either way, I’m not getting tested or taking the vaccine.

3 Likes

What would you do if…after 6months of a vaccine being available and no side effects of concern noted…your employer required one unless a doctors authorization is given? Even if work from home employees are required by your company?

I fear this happening. I’m a strong supporter of vaccines but I can easily visualize a situation of requiring vaccination due to all the fears generated by Covid 19. I can see the requirements for school age children and colleges as well. Any vaccine that makes it to market in less than two years seems “rushed” to me.

I would take it in this situation but I might whine about it a lot! :joy:

1 Like

We just had to leave our homeschool co-op because the majority of families refuse to wear masks in the fall/winter. I’m, let’s generously say, confused as to how masks have become some giant issue of personal freedom.

6 Likes

I’d contest it and go through my Union and cite that my occupation is low risk.

Without a doubt. I recently got the Hepatitis AB vaccine (Twinrix) but only after extensively analyzing its track record.

1 Like

I keep one with me just in case I need to enter a mask mandatory business. My biggest issue is that they’re uncomfortable and of varying quality.

In my state it’s optional and my employer only mandates it if you’re among the public, in groups, or in the shop yard.

I’m not trying to be facetious, but “anti science” and “anti intellectual” are two more phrases that have come to mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean in the moment.

If I may pull the camera back a bit (in a manner of speaking), I would posit that our culture has a serious information/credibility breakdown going on.

We can’t believe our news media anymore, we can’t believe polls, we can’t believe experts because so many of them are ideologues.

During this quarantine, I’ve been delving into philosophy (and by delving I mean just dipping my toes), and I’m finding the world of ideas to be a lot more illuminating than anything I’ve seen newspapers.

11 Likes

There’s enough info now that only the most vulnerable need to be protected. No need for kids to go to school in masks, sit 6 feet apart, have staggered bus schedules, etc.

No need for the vast majority of people to wear masks either. Common sense, if you’re coughing, don’t go out or just put a mask on out of courtesy.

Fauci . . . nobody trusts the “experts” because the projections were all over the place, panic mode set in, hospital ships deployed to both coasts with minimal occupants so they left, the big ventilator crisis is not heard of anymore (because they weren’t needed after all), the vaccine is unnecessary for everyone and should just be voluntary for those most vulnerable. Nobody really knows how they’re counting the numbers of deaths.

The panic of covid is more contagious than the virus itself.

6 Likes

:raising_hand_woman: I don’t automatically disbelieve the news media. Strangely, your comments seem to reflect the very concerns mention by Dr. Fauci. I think we’ve become a culture obsessed with conspiracy theories, sadly.

As for your dip into philosophy, awesome! My husband’s a philosophy prof.

1 Like

This is as good an example as any other of the sort of thinking that frightens me. We’re still in the first wave with multiple states spiking, yet we refuse to believe what’s happening around us.

8 Likes

They know how to use visuals. The right colors, fonts, etc. A map of the US, all capital letters, “CORONAVIRUS DEATHS” then the use of red / orange to highlight cases, no context.

We’re a little over 2 million cases in the US…in other words, the equivalent of 20% of LA county’s population.

1 Like

It’s not a refusal to believe in the virus, but in the severity of it and the usefulness of what the supposed experts want everyone to do. They love pulling the puppet strings and watch the population dance to their panic mongering.

4 Likes

And this?

Why?

(+10 and such)

Yes, notice in the video they leave out common causes of deaths like heart disease, other chronic ailments, and compare the covid deaths to stuff like drowning, homicides, terrorism, etc…

And the 446k worldwide who have died from COVID? This is not a legitimate concern?

Why? Well for the media, panic sells, obviously people are going to keep watching and worrying about this. Until you posted this thread, I haven’t looked at a covid story in months.

No, sorry – why do the “supposed experts” (I assume including Fauci) “love pulling the puppet strings and watch the population dance to their panic mongering”?

Yep. Something I don’t understand. I wonder if anti mask people would feel comfortable if their dentist wore no mask.

2 Likes

Again, the sheer number doesn’t mean much. One must take into account pre-existing conditions, those unfortunately close to death to begin with, etc.

Not to sound callous, but compared to the world’s population it’s not that big of a number, especially considering that even here they’ve admitted to haphazard counting of cases.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.