Fave Christmas songs, and their artists

Anyone have any particular favourite Christmas songs/carols, by a particular artist?

Like, not just “The Christmas Song” (“Chestnuts roasting…”), but “The Christmas Song” as performed by Nat “King” Cole over Mel Torme.

Mine are:

(songs)
[LIST]
*]“Blue Christmas”, Elvis Presley (“Ooo-ooo-OOO-ooo-ooh!”)
*]“The Christmas Song”, Nat “King” Cole
*]“Happy Christmas (War Is Over)”, John Lennon (sorry, folks, I really do like it)
[/LIST]

(carols)
[LIST]
*]“Ave Maria”, Andy Williams
*]“The Huron Carol”, USAF Band & Choir
*]“Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”, the Salvation Army band that played it at the Village Mall back around 1992
[/LIST]

I recently downloaded
"All I want for Christmas is You" sung by Mariah Carey (I’ve been happily married for almost 30 years.)
“Baby It’s Cold Outside” sung by Dean Martin and although it’s not a Christmas song, I live in KS and it IS cold outside. (I never realized how much a leech song this was.)
“Have Yourself a Merry Little Chrismas” by Frank Sinatra.

My most favorite holiday CD is Amy Grant’s “A Chrismas Album” with “Emmanuel” being the favorite.

Thanks for the thread. I look forward to seeing everyone’s responses.

God Bless,
June in KS

Well, we’re off to a bad start… first two posters mentioned two of my most hated songs! :stuck_out_tongue:

If I’m going to listen to “All I Want For Christmas Is You” (and I’ve been married twenty years), it’s going to be the one by Vince Vance and the Valiants!

“Little Drummer Boy” by the Harry Simeone Chorale
"White Christmas" by Bing Crosby
"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" by John Berry
"O Holy Night" by John Berry (close second: Josh Groban)
“The Twelve Days of Christmas” by John Denver and the Muppets (yes, I’m serious–it’s a fun song!)

There are others, but I can’t think of them right now… got Mannheim Steamroller on and I’m into the instrumental right now!

Burl Ives “Holly, Jolly Christmas”

That entire album is one of the best IMO.

One of my favorite carols to hear is “In Dulci Jubilo” (Pearsall arrangement) by the Cambridge Singers. So beautiful.

“Someone is Waiting” by Curtis Stephan with additional vocals by Jesse Manibusan, two excellent Catholic composers/musicians. The song is on Curtis’ Christmas cd

The Land Of Christmas (Mary)
Written by: Carly Simon

Take me into your hands
Make me into your prayer
Take me away to the land of Christmas
And dismiss my fear
Show me the way

You see I need a way to pass
through the pain
Breathe it and bear it and rise up again
Where I can receive your kiss
Feel the strength in my heart

And wail like a baby
And sail through the storm
Be tender as Mary
With her newborn son

Is feeling small a very good thing?
Is feeling big really very small?
Where I won’t question your love at all

And when I kneel to you
It doesn’t mean I’ll get the message right
Where I can’t resist surrendering

And I’ll wail like a baby
And sail through the storm
Be tender like Mary
With her newborn son
On Christmas morn
Tender as Mary
With her newborn son

“O Come, O Come Emmanuel” by Quartette, lead vocal Sylvia Tyson
"Hush, Baby Jesus" by Quartette, lead vocal Colleen Peterson

both from the Quartette Album “It’s Christmas!”

“In Night’s Deep Silence” by Rita & Mary Rankin
"The Boy In the Woods" by Bruce Guthro
both from the “An East Coast Christmas” album

“Little Blue Bell” by Brenda Lee

“Silent Night” by Stevie Nicks (no not for Mass)

“Huron Carol” by Tom Jackson

“The First Noël” by Crash Test Dummies

“Minuit, chrétiens” by Fernand Gignac

It’s a toss-up between the Sesame Street “12 Days of Christmas” and the Bob & Doug MacKenzie “12 Days of Christmas”

and finally, nobody, but nobody, does “Blue Christmas” like Elvis. Yes, I know, that could be a negative depending on your taste, but to me it’s the definitive version.

Diana Krall Jingle Bells
Diana Krall Wonderland Wonderland
Diana Krall Sleigh Ride

Ames Brothers Good King Wenceslas

Bing Crosby Silver Bells

Harry Connick, Jr. Let There Be Peace on Earth
Harry Connick, Jr. We Three Kings
Harry Connick, Jr. Little Drummer Boy
Harry Connick, Jr. O Holy Night
Harry Connick, Jr. Ave Maria
Harry Connick, Jr. What Child is This

Karen Akers Silent Night

Louis Armstrong "Zat You, Santa Claus?

Mel Torme: The Christmas Song

Luciano Pavarotti: O Holy Night

Ella Fitzgerald: Rudolf, the Red Nosed Reindeer

Nat King cole: Joy to the World

“White Christmas” - Bing Crosby
"Silent Night" - Bing Crosby
"Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Bing Crosby

“The Christmas Song” - Nat “King” Cole

“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” - Gene Autry

“The Little Drummer Boy” - Harry Simeone Chorale

“Deck the Halls” - James Taylor

“Mary’s Boy Child” - Boney M

“Feliz Navidad” - José Feliciano

And for silliness:

“Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” - Elmo & Patsy

“Rusty Chevrolet” - The Youpers (sp?)

O Holy Night - Nat King Cole
Do You Hear What I Hear? - Bing Crosby
Hark the Herald Angels Sing - Bing Crosby
The Wexford Carol - Celtic Woman
O Come, Emmanuel - not sure who sings it…on an album called Celtic Christmas
The Bells of Dublin - The Chieftains
Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
The Christmas Song - Vince Guaraldi

And my favorite silly songs of the season are:
“Merry Christmas…if thats Ok” by Mike and the Bots
(Lets Have) A Patrick Swayze Christmas by Joel and the Bots.

No one has mentioned this classic!
Adeste Fidelis, by Bing Crosby! He does the first “time” for the refrain in Latin!! And then he repeats it in English. Then I think he goes back to Latin. It sounds SOOOO wonderful. I’m trying to find the “legal” version of it (I downloaded it… blush but have since deleted it after seeing the errors of my ways).

And stuff by TSO is freakin’ awesome. THERE’S one place I love the combination of rock and Catholic/Christian stuff! :wink:

albums rather than individual songs

Christmas and Advent Vigils and Night Offices by monks of I am not sure where, perhaps Assumption Abbey

Christmas in the Benedictine Abbey, album my dad had from a monastery in Kentucky, still my favorite all time Christmas album

Christmas at St. Paul’s Cathedral by the combined men’s and boys choirs (my nephew was a member when they lived there for several years and went to the choir school).

still love the Charlie Brown soundtrack, it just says Christmas to me

anything at Tuba Christmas

The Nutcracker suite, London Symphony Orchestra

Breath of Heaven (Mary’s Song) by Amy Grant really humanizes Mary’s journey to Bethlehem to me.

Love Has Come by Amy Grant is so upbeat and moving.

Heirlooms by Amy Grant makes me cry every time and I’m crying now just thinking about the lyrics.

Let There Be Peace on Earth by Vince Gill with his young daughter is touching with her child’s voice.

Mary Did You Know by Kenny Rodgers and Wynonna gets me everytime as I think about the words being broadcast on secular radio and hoping lost souls hear and receive them.

We Fall Down by John Tesh makes me raise my arms in praise as much as I can discretely when I am in the car…a true worship song.

Andy William’s It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year captures the joy of the celebration perfectly along with his smooth voice.

Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives is a happy tune and reminds me of being a kid watching Rudolph.

Christmas Canon by the TransSiberian Orchestra feels very uplifting to me.

O Holy Night by Josh Groban feels powerful and reverend.

Home For the Holidays by Perry Como is fun because it’s about everyone doing the same celebrating with family throughout the country.

We Need A Little Christmas by Andy Williams is a song I sing to my family throughout the year when times are tough…but all I hear on the radio is the Johnny Mathias version or Percy Faith Orchestra versio…I’ll take those.

Anything from Christmas Jollies by the Salsoul Orchestra…a little disco at the holidays makes my family remember our teenage years in the 70’s!

John Jacob Niles wrote I Wonder as I Wander. You can view a short 2 minute video about the history of this song.

You can also hear a recording of John Jacob Niles sing this song at http://www.john-jacob-niles.com/ Scroll down on the home page and then click on Listen to John Jacob Niles. When your audio player comes up - scoot to 2:37 to hear I Wonder as I Wander.

“Breath of Heaven” by Tatiana
"For Unto Us" by Eden’s Bridge
"Oh Holy Night" by Johnny Mathis
"Ave Maria" by Celine Dion
"The Magnificat" by Tatiana
"The Little Drummer Boy" by Bing Crosby & David Boie (sp?)

“the first nightengale song” sometimes called “the gift” is so beautiful, but very hard to find. It is sung by Garth Brooks but I have heard it by a women and I like tht verson as well. I was hoping to get it on my mp3 player this seeons but I just cannot find it.

I also love the Transiberian Orchastra.

My favorite traditional songs are…
“Hark the Herold”
“Angels We Have Heard on High”
“Go Tell It on the Mountain”
“What Child Is This?”

Stevie Wonder’s recording of Schubert’s “Ave Maria” (from the album “A Motown Christmas”) is really lovely.

O Holy Night
Angels We Have Heard On High
What Child Is This
And Pavoratti singing ‘Adeste Fideles’

. . . I also like ‘I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas’ and ‘Dominic the Donkey,’ and I sing a pretty mean Eartha Kitt-version of ‘Santa Baby. . .’ ^_^;;

Phemie!!!

If you see this, I would be so grateful if you could upload your east coast christmas cd to www.youtube.com. It was my fathers favorite cd and I accidentally broke it a few years ago and it is all he wants for Christmas. If you could help me, my dad and I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.