Favo(u)rite Quotations from the Bible

I enclose below some of my favo(u)rite quotations from the Hebrew Bible. Would you like to submit here some quotations that you particularly like, especially from the New Testament?

Thanks,

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. (Dt 6:5)

You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against any of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord. (Le 19:18)

He has told you, O mortal, what is good;

and what does the Lord require of you

but to do justice, and to love kindness,

and to walk humbly with your God? (Mi 6:8)

The Lord will keep

your going out and your coming in

from this time on and forevermore. (Ps 121:8)

2 Likes

“Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:16-18‬ ‭NABRE‬‬
https://www.bible.com/463/1th.5.16-18.nabre

“Simon Peter answered him, “[Lord], to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God.””
‭‭John‬ ‭6:68-69‬ ‭NABRE‬‬
https://www.bible.com/463/jhn.6.68-69.nabre

2 Likes

“Blessed be the LORD my rock. Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.”
Psalm 144:1

This has always been my favorite OT verse, especially in the context of the whole chapter.

1 Like

A bit snarky on my part…but not entirely. When confronting my own habitual sinfulness concerning certain matters (the shame, guilt & relapse aspect in the language of the “addiction cycle” talk of psychologists):

Proverbs 26:11 “As the dog return to his vomit, so the fool repeats his folly.”

2 Likes

‘The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.’ - Proverbs 1:7

1 Like

Psalm 34
18 - The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Phil 4:8-9 Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

1 Like

Cor_ad_Cor
I am impressed with all your badges. Are you a fan of the Dominicans and St J H Newman?

DVF
Thanks. I am studying the psalms at present and find them very helpful. I hope you are not finding China too difficult.

Bpl_stl
would you like to conside these quotations?

For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,

abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you. (Ps 86:5)

But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us 
even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— (Eph 2:4,5)

Motherwit

Great quotation thanks.
Perhaps it goes with:
By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness,
gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. (Gal 9:22,23)

1 Like

For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?
Mark 8:36

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.