Favorite and least favorite Christmas carols?

My personal three favorites:

1. Carol of the bells (it's always been haunting to me, I love it)
  2. Baby, it's cold outside (Dean Martin version is the best, but Ella Fitzgeralds version is also great)
  3. The entire Nutcracker score (simply beautiful)

Least Favorites:

1. Mannheim Steamrollers "Silent Night" (I've heard it so often it's lost all emotional impact to me and now I find it more irritating than anything else)
  2. Jingle Bell Rock (It gets stuck in my head and I can't get it out)
  3. The 12 days of Christmas (ok, time for blasphemy-It's too long, and no one can afford THAT many gifts for someone! ;))

I guess we’re including songs, not just carols :wink:

Favorites:

1. Silver Bells–I don’t care if it’s Elvis, Bing Crosby or (almost) any contemporary artist… this song has always meant Christmas to me.

2. What Child Is This?–I just wish artists wouldn’t be so afraid to sing the lines “Nails, spears, shall pierce Him through/ The cross He bore for me and you” To me it wraps up the entire mystery of salvation.

3)Three way tie: Away in a Manger/O Little Town of Bethlehem/It Came Upon a Midnight Clear–All three tell the Christmas story beautifully.

Least favorites (and you did say only 3, not 30?)

1. Mary, Did You Know?–I always yell, “Yeah, DUH, she did! Remember when Gabriel appeared to her?? What was that conversation all about???”

2. Christmas Shoes–I would gladly drive off a cliff to stop the music if there were no off button on the car radio. When my SIL died, the LAST thing her three kids would have been thinking of would be buying her a present instead of being at her side!

3. Pretty much any remake, especially of pop Christmas standards, by contemporary artists. “Santa Baby” is not my favorite by a long shot, but Eartha Kitt got it right the first time… no need for Madonna or Jessica Simpson or whoever to mangle it! Ditto “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”… leave it alone, Lee Ann Rimes!

You DID say only three, right???

Love most them the best one in my opinion is Oh Holy Night.

I do get kind of tired of "The 12 days of Christmas though".

youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8&ob=av2e

For you "12 Days of Christmas" fans! ;):D

O Come All Ye Faithful, Nat King Cole
Christmastime is Here, Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Christmas)
Christmas Canon Rock, Transsiberian Orchestra
The Sleigh, Cantus Vocum Chamber Choir

I got more coming... :D

Rascalking - my brotha from anotha motha!

1. Carol of the Bells is my favorite, too. :smiley:

2. Born in Bethlehem by Third Day…seriously digging this song right now. youtube.com/watch?v=Av7fPUem190

3. The First Noel - sung by the right person. I’ve heard horrible versions of this song.

Those are my favorite three since I can only pick three. The list is long, but distinguished (sorry, I couldn’t resist the Top Gun reference).

Now, least favorites -

1. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree - so wrong on so many levels.

2. Silver Bells - probably because my dad always changed the words to “It’s Christmas time in Milwaukee” instead of the city. It made me groan and roll my eyes every time it came on.

3. Santa Baby - I probably don’t need to tell you why. Although, Michael Bublé’s version is better. Still it’s avarice at it’s “finest”.

[quote="bluerose, post:4, topic:265354"]
youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8&ob=av2e

For you "12 Days of Christmas" fans! ;):D

[/quote]

:rotfl: Now THAT is genius :D

You obviously are not familiar with Jeff Foxworthy’s version of The 12 days of Christmas, or else you would LOVE this song!! :wink:

Yikes! I don’t like Jeff Foxworthy at all (sorry, just not my sense of humor) so I’ll pass on that. :wink:

I like:

Oh, holy night...Josh Groban
Dominick the Donkey...just one time during Christmas season gives me a chuckle.

Not carols but it seems like these 2 have been played to death:

Last Christmas

and

Do they Know it's Christmas?

Multiple times a day 20 something years! :banghead:

I agree with the bolded, I guess we have similar tastes in music. Other favorites would be White Christmas, Sleigh Ride, Winter Wonderland, Father Christmas by the Kinks, Happy Christmas (War Is Over) and No Place Like Home For The Holidays

Least favorite by far would be that hippopotamus song. I can’t stand it. Honorable mention for least favorite goes to I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. From the child’s perspective Santa is real, therefore mom is cheating; I never understood the appeal.

Top 5 fav:
1. The Holly & the Ivy
2. O Holy Night
3. Once in Royal Davids City
4. What Child is this
5. We Three Kings

My least fav songs would have to be any Christmas song changed over to an R&B song or hip hop its so annoying.

I don’t like that hippomotmamus “song” either.

And anything by the Kinks and John Lennon are fantastic.

Favorites:

The Holly and the Ivy

Coventry Carol

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Lo, how a rose ere blooming

What Child is This/Angels from the Realms of Glory/Once in Royal David’s City/Away in the Manger/I saw Three Ships/I heard the Bells on Christmas Day/O Little Town of Bethlehem/Bring a torch Jennette Isabella/It came upon a midnight clear.

Least favorites:

Jingle Bells

Santa Baby

Baby its cold outside

I have sort a of love hate relationship with Deck the Halls, and I Wonder as I Wander.

The Good:
1) Angels We Have Heard On High
2) The First Noel
3) Silent Night

The Bad:
1) The Chipmunk Song
2) Dog Barking "Jingle Bells"
3) The Christmas Song (with chestnuts roast over an open fire) Sorry Nat, luv ya baby, but this song stinks.

The Ugly:

GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER

Favourites

1. Carol of the Bells
    2 . O Holy Night
  2. Where are You Christmas? (I believe Faith Hill sang it for the live action Grinch movie)
  3. Gothic Christmas by Within Temptation (yes, it’s very silly)

Not so much…

1. I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (I want to smash the radio to pieces when I hear it, just UGH!)
  2. Baby, its Cold Outside
  3. Santa Baby

[quote="jilly4ski, post:14, topic:265354"]

Least favorites:

Santa Baby

Baby its cold outside

[/quote]

Santa Baby is dreadful, but Baby it's Cold Outside?! Get thee to confession! :D

Favorites:

Bing Crosby White Christmas & Silent Night
Alan Jackson Let it Be Christmas

Least Favorite:

Wham’s Last Christmas (end of discussion)

[quote="Rascalking, post:17, topic:265354"]
Santa Baby is dreadful, but Baby it's Cold Outside?! Get thee to confession! :D

[/quote]

Sorry i just heard a terrible version on the radio, and felt like throwing up. :blush: The original might be better, but I am not very fond of the way ladies use to sing back then.

Oh lets not forget

Feliz Navidad ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.