Favorite and least favorite Christmas carols?

[quote="bluerose, post:4, topic:265354"]
youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8&ob=av2e

For you "12 Days of Christmas" fans! ;):D

[/quote]

The Christmas Cancan is good too.

I’m totally playing around. Check out the Dean Martin/Martina McBride version. You might like that one.

And if you don’t like Dean Martin, don’t bother going to confession. It won’t help. :smiley:

O Holy Night- all time favorite for over a decade

Long time Ago in Bethlehem - Boney M and Harry Belafonte is closing in on #1

Feliz Navidad/ Venite Adoremus and a few others like Pachelbel’s Canon in D by trans Siberian orchestra are all tied.

Don’t like any of the secular stuff much except for “silver bells”

But this is just for English carols.

It might have had more to do with the morning sickness in the car than the song, but you never know…:wink:

Many favourites but a few come to mind first…

O Holy Night
Mary’s Boy Child (Bony M version)
Feliz Navidad

Least Favourite

The Christmas Shoes (too sad)

[quote="bluerose, post:4, topic:265354"]
youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8&ob=av2e

For you "12 Days of Christmas" fans! ;):D

[/quote]

I must admit that at first I didn't understand how some guy rapping about sneakers was relevant, but then I realized it was an ad. :doh2: When I saw the real thing, I loved it!

Faves:
O Holy Night
Joy to the World
Adeste Fidelis (Yes, OK, O Come All Ye Faithful as well) :)
O Little Town of Bethlehem (both the most common melodies)

Non-faves:
Santa Baby (It's offensive on so many levels. So very many levels.)
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Yuck, how twee.)
The Christmas Song (Sorry, I have to listen to this 50 times a year on Christmas at my parents', and I really just don't care for Johnny Mathis. Yes, it is possible to have a voice that is too smooth.)

Guilty Christmas Song Secret ('Til now):
I really like Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade. Yeah, I know. :blush:

--Jen

Surprised no-one's mentioned The Little Drummer Boy. Got to be one of my least faves, don't really care what version it is. And Frosty the Snowman.

Living in sunny Australia, I always find it difficult to relate to the carols that are all about winter.

[quote="dorrbell, post:21, topic:265354"]
The Christmas Cancan is good too.

[/quote]

"The Christmas Can-Can" is the ONLY Christmas song I will tolerate before Thanksgiving!

youtube.com/watch?v=7E-47VmFopE&ob=av2e

I’m glad someone mentioned Straight No Chaser’s version of “12 Days”. :smiley:

• Silent Night
  • Do You Hear What I Hear?
  • Oh Holy Night
  • I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (the only professional version I enjoy right now is Mellencamp’s…but once I found out was the song was *really *about it made me “awwwwww” :p)
  • Jingle Bells (because that was my childhood favorite)
  • Sleigh Ride (the original instrumental version by Leroy Anderson…yes the one that’s the bane of high school bands everywhere)
  • I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas (not gonna lie…I sing this to myself all the time as I work)
  • Angels We Have Heard On High

Not because of the song itself…but when I was a kid I would try soooo hard to get through that Gloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooria in one breath.
…and then found out my husband went through the same thing so unfortunately it’s on this list because it’s an inside joke and for that smile we sneak at each other every time it pops up at Church :smiley:

Dislikes

• Wonderful Christmas Time
  • Last Christmas
  • Christmas Waltz (He’s filled his sleigh with thiiiiiiiiiiiiings…oh what an awful syllable to hold a note on)
  • In the Bleak Midwinter
  • O Little Town of Bethlehem
  • Christmas Shoes
  • The Christmas Song

Little Drummer Boy is a hard one. I like the lyrics a lot…but not a fan of the music it’s set to.

[quote="LilyM, post:27, topic:265354"]
Surprised no-one's mentioned The Little Drummer Boy. .

[/quote]

No one mentioned it because it totally rocks! I'm ashamed I didn't think about it! :D

The David Bowie/Bing Crosby version of that is AMAZING.

Favorites:

1. Dans le silence de la nuit -- I don't care who's singing it (although this is the version I have on my iPod). It takes me back to the first couple of Midnight Masses I attended as a child in my French Canadian parish.

2. It's Christmas! -- Quartette

1. Hush Baby Jesus -- Quartette

2. The Huron Carol -- particularly Tom Jackson's version

3. I think many of you are going to want to do an intervention if I admit that I like Stevie Nick's version of 'Silent Night'.

4. The Angel and the Little Blue Bell -- Brenda Lee

5. The Mummers' Song -- Simani (guess you have to either be a Newfoundlander by birth or choice to get this one -- I have friends who go mummering every Christmas)

6. The Old Christmas Card - Jim Reeves

I even like the hippopotamus song.

Hate:

1. The Christmas Shoes.

2. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

3. Anything meowed or barked.

4. Do They Know It's Christmas?

I forgot, I love Good King Wenceslas :thumbsup:

I have lots of favorites, but my least favorites are anything sung in English (at least I think that's what it was supposed to be) by the Three Tenors.

1. O Tannerbaum.... Especially with it's second verse not being sung by itself as "O Christmas Tree".... Never liked it by itself, the full song is my favorite Christmas Carol.

2. Good King Wenceslas.... Took me years to figure out what this song had to do with Christmas.... but eventually realized it's about true fellowship.

3. The Little Drummer Boy..... PAR RUM PAPUMPUM! One of the best... I take it on faith there really was a drummer boy at Christ's birth. Or perhaps the song is sung from our own point of view.

Favorite: Manowar's version of "Silent Night" :D

Least favorite: Jingle Bell Rock... just...ugh.

Cocteau Twins' version of "Frosty The Snowman"

Alex Chilton's version of "The Christmas Song"

Big Star's very reason-for-the-season classic "Jesus Christ" (chorus: "Jesus Christ was born today / Jesus Christ was born")

I h*ate* "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer".

A lot of favorites that I listed on the other Carols thread, but I heard a great carol today by the Staple Sisters - "Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas?" The song is actually a wordplay, as the "Merry" in the song is actually "Mary." Very moving gospel-style song.

And the lyrics refer to "Mary's Only Son," so maybe the Staple Sisters were Catholic! ;)

My favorites:
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Good King Wenceslas
- Baby, It's Cold Outside
- Pachelbel's Canon in D by the trans-Siberian orchestra

Sometimes, these songs are a hit or miss depending on my mood:
- Jingle Bells Rock
- Jingle Bells (I do like singing the Batman version of Jingle Bells for fun though!)
- Last Christmas (I've heard this song way too many times)

[quote="onjac, post:38, topic:265354"]

• Jingle Bells (I do like singing the Batman version of Jingle Bells for fun though!)

[/quote]

I recently read that Jingle Bells was originally written to be a sung to be sung at Thanksgiving and that it is about the trip to dinner. Apparently people also sang it at Christmas and it eventually lost its Thanksgiving origin.

[quote="freethinker83, post:39, topic:265354"]
I recently read that Jingle Bells was originally written to be a sung to be sung at Thanksgiving and that it is about the trip to dinner. Apparently people also sang it at Christmas and it eventually lost its Thanksgiving origin.

[/quote]

I thought that was "Over the River and Through the Woods" ;)

But in all seriousness, Jingle Bells would would be a strange song about Thanksgiving. Since it is about "Dashing through the snow" "On a one horse open sleigh." Very few places of the world have enough snow to have a sleigh ride on over Thanksgiving. (I don't think the song is old enough being written in 1857 to have been written in the mini ice age). However, I will grant you that Wikipedia says it was written for Thanksgiving, and then cites a broken link to readers digest.

However, having looked up the composer, it seemed he lived in Boston Mass. and it is possible they had a Nor'easter, or other early snowstorm in November and that inspired his song. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.