Favorite Books EVER!

I’m sure somewhere in the archives of the Catholic Answers forums this has been done before, but I’m curious to know what tops everybody else’s “Best Books Ever” lists. If you’ve only got one favorite book, name it. If you can’t narrow it down to just one, say which three or four you can read over and over again.
My favorite books are as follows:

The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexander Dumas(I couldn’t put it down! It was easily one of the most intriguing, engaging books I’ve ever read)
Jane Eyre- Bronte (I was surprised by how much I liked it. My aunt lent it to me for a plane ride home and I devoured it. Gotta love a happy ending.)
Little Women/Good Wives- Louisa May Alcott (I first read this book when I was in my mid-teens and I think I have read it once a year -at least- since then. It’s a simple story, but there’s something in it that keeps bringing me back for me. It doesn’t matter that I know exactly how the story goes and how it ends; I never get sick of it.)
Son of the Shadows- Juliet Marillier (The second in the Sevenwaters trilogy. I adored the first and third books, but, for some reason, the second was the best, in my humble opinion. I think I related to the bold heroine, Liadan, more than the main characters of the other two.)
Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman (I absolutely love Neil Gaiman. A lot of people feel that this is one of his weaker novels, but the characters in this one were so delightful that I couldn’t put it down. Another one that I will read again and again).
The Red Tent- Anita Diamant (An author’s imagining of what might have happened to Dinah, Jacob’s only daughter. It’s a rich tale that follows her life and another one of those ‘I’ll keep reading it over and over’.)

I could probably add several more, depending on my mood, but these are the books that I always go back to when I’m in need of an entertaining read.
What are the ones that left you the most moved? The most entertained?

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

Nothing else needs to be said.

GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell
THE FAR PAVILIONS by M.M.Kaye
THE HOLY BIBLE BY GOD

and many more

Love Jane Eyre as well, love Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion by Jane Austen (more so than her other books, although Emma is also really good).

I love 1984 by George Orwell, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - not in the sense that they’re easy reads at all, but boy do they make you think.

I also find a lot to enjoy in David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, admittedly not all of it but the great bits more than make up for the ones that aren’t.

In case you think I’ve not read anything written in the last half century, I ALSO love Power of One, Tandia and April Fools’ Day by Bryce Courtenay.

In terms of spiritual reading I love Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence and Confessions by St Augustine.

I can read Richard Adams’s *Watership Down *over and over again.

Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan novels.

I’ve only read them through once, but I can imagine doing so again: Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin novels. Similar Edgar Rice Burroughs’s Tarzan novels.

I’ve lately been going through Eric Flint’s (et al) *1632 *series, but have lately slowed down a bit.

Edit: Oooooh, and cannot forget: Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose.

:nerd:
tee-rah

My favorite fiction:
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
Moby D. by Herman Melville
The Collected Short Stories by Cordwainer Smith
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Das Boot by Lothar Gunther-Buchheim
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Herzog by Saul Bellow
Ravelstein by Saul Bellow
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
Treasure Island by Robert Lewis Stevenson
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

I do love Jane Austen, as well. Wuthering Heights, however, I couldn’t stand for some reason. Not sure what it was, but I just couldn’t get into it. Maybe I’ll go back and try and read it again sometime, but the first time just didn’t draw me in.

Some people do feel that - I think maybe it’s because there aren’t any ‘heroes’ in it, all the characters are flawed. But I don’t mind that - it’s life :shrug:

My all time favorite book is my all time favorite movie…“Dr. Zhivago”

Kathy

And Ladies of the Club, by Helen Hooven Santmeyer.

I also absolutely love anything by P.G. Wodehouse and Terry Pratchett. They’re my comfort books–whenever things are going bad, or I’m having a rough time, I turn to them, like old friends.

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy is a solid favourite.

Les Miserables by Victor HugoDon Quixote, U.S.A.

Don Quixote, U.S.A. by Richard Powell (+ all his others)

Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore

LOTR and The Hobbit

Short Stories of Saki (H. H. Munro)

These are the books I could read over and over again:

Atonement. I adore this book. The writing is so visual. The movie was very good as well.
To Kill a Mockingbird.
Memoirs of a Geisha.
Madame Bovary.
Little Women.
Howl’s Moving Castle.
Pride and Prejudice.
Wuthering Heights.
Jane Eyre.
Pursausion.
The Name of the Rose.
The Hobbit.
LOTR
Gone with the Wind.
Dracula.
Frankenstein.
Shogun.

Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord Chronicles trilogy (best telling of the Arthurian legend I’ve ever read, and that includes Mary Stewart’s Merlin trilogy!)
Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan series
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Jane Eyre
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark

Ooh, I should’ve added that one to my list. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read the book. Another one of those “never seem to get sick of it” books. Plus, it’s actually one of the few movies based on books that actually do a good job.

In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden

Little Women by Jane Austen

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse

1984 by George Orwell

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

I love many good books, mostly fiction, and can’t possibly list them all, so here are my top five faves in both genres:

Fiction:

LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion (all one story, really)
Space Trilogy (C. S. Lewis)
The Chronicles of Narnia (C. S. Lewis)
Father Brown Mysteries (G. K. Chesterton)
Watership Down (Richard Adams)

Non-fiction:

Holy Bible
Orthoodoxy (G. K. Chesterton)
The Everlasting Man (G. K. Chesterton)
Literary Converts (Joseph Pearce)
Kon-Tiki & The Ra Expeditions (Thor Heyerdahl)

Anything by Jane Austin, especially Pride & Prejudice.
Jane Eyre
To Kill a Mockingbird

A few of mine:

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Walden and Civil Disobedience - Henry David Thoreau
Shogun - James Clavell

Not a big fiction fan, prefer non-fiction/true stories.

The Bedford Boys by Alex Kershaw
The Cross and the Beatitudes by Fulton J. Sheen
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose
Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides (not for the faint of heart)
We Were Soldiers Once…and Young by Lt. Gen. Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway (this one either)
Brotherhood of Heroes by Bill Sloan (same as above)
With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge (ditto)
To Hell and Back by Audie Murphy
1942 by Winston Groom

Fiction I do like:
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Death Rat! by Mike Nelson

And not fiction, more or less humor:
Mike Nelson’s Movie Megacheese
Mike Nelson’s Mind Over Matters
Any Peanuts comics by Charles Schulz

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.