Favorite brand of Chocolate

what is your favorite brand of chocolate? especially local chocolatiers in your area.
I have been eating dark chocolate (not my fave, but fairly lo-carb source of anti-oxidants and one ounce jolt a day does not blow diet–ghiradelli squares or dove dark)
but I really prefer milk chocolate
Guest brought chocolate for DD’s family and reminded me of the world’s best milk chocolate–Malley’s, a renowned Cleveland company. they have the best Easter basket candies you will ever find and some schools sell them as fundraisers.

do you like solid milk chocolate? cream centers? nutty, caramel, french mints etc?
love fruit flavored creme centers in milk chocolate
HATE coconut centers

Valrhona dark, when I can get it. A friend of mine once picked up a couple of bars of 99% dark from some chocolatier whose name escapes me (French name, and he got it in Seattle). Those were delicious, though very few people seem to like compressed and unsweetened cocoa powder :stuck_out_tongue:

Baker’s meltaways made in Nebraska are my favorites, but Lindor truffles are a VERY close second. Eek, it’s 8:35 am and now I’m ready to pop some clothes on and go stock up on some chocolates. Like you said, the dark chocolate is healthy.

MMMM Lindor truffles are so creamy and rich. (thanks Chovy :slight_smile: )

I like Baci Perugina. They are little truffles with dark chocolate on the outside, the inside has a chocolate hazelnut filling, with chopped hazelnuts. In the center is a whole hazelnut. They also come with a little slip of paper printed with a quote about love.

They are very rich, so one is very satisfying.

Also, I like the new Hershey’s dark chocolate. There is one that has dried blueberries and nuts. Must be healthy, dark chocolate, fruit, nuts…:smiley:

No local chocolatier around here but I recently discovered Lindt Excellence Chili – a dark chocolate bar – 49% cocoa – laced with with hot chilies. Allowing 1 square to melt in my mouth satisfies me for an entire day. It’s wonderful!

ANYTHING.
Ghirardelli, Lindt, Godiva, Droste, Bonnat . . . Hershey.

But it MUST be dark and the darker the better. And bittersweet. I lke the edge on the flavor and find milk chocolate cloying.

I adore these (when I allow myself).

Lindor’s dark chocolate truffles or their hazelnut ones. YUM!!!

There is a store near us that sells them by the box full and I can just stash them in the freezer for a quick snack.

Godiva is nice, although I’ve not had any in a long while. My husband brought home some lovely truffles as part of my mother’s day gift, but I haven’t a clue about the chocolatier. There’s another brand, the name of which escapes me, which I can find at Whole Foods that I like a lot. It comes in small bars, in difference percentages of cocoa. All I can remember about the brand is there’s some sort of a stag on the label, either a deer or antelope or something like that… :o

You know what’s a nice treat? An under-ripe avocado with a piece of dark chocolate. Mmmmm…:heaven:

I have a relative in California that sends me See’s Famous Candy for Christmas. I love that stuff! My wife makes excellent fudge called “Velveeta Fudge” - yep it’s made with Velveeta cheese. Now that’s good stuff too!

I don’t really have a favourite brand - I know I don’t like Hershey, though. Chocolate should be dark. Milk chocolate doesn’t do it for me, and white chocolate is not really chocolate at all, in my opinion.

I like a variety of fillings, but generally plain dark chocolate is my favourite. I like mint, caramel, nuts, and fruit in chocolate too. Many cream fillings are good, too. Basically, high quality chocolates with or without a nice filling.

Yeah, that was specific. :blush: :rolleyes:

I am really big on dark chocolate too except peanutbutter cups I can not resist them.

My Grandma makes over 50 different types of candy each Christmas but the stuff with chocolate isn’t really covered in real chocolate just those melting pieces. When you have really good insides and not too good outsides it is kinda sad:(

Oh, I can’t even read all the responses since my mouth is watering and I’m trying to loose weight! But since mercygate mentioned “bittersweet” I wanted to share a thought I had yesterday.

I love bittersweet flavor combination such as dark chocolate and slightly sweet, very strong coffee. Mmmmm. :coffee: Yet when God hands me any “bitterness” in my life, my first instinct is to reject it. I never reject the “sweetness” He gives. I realized that God doesn’t leave me with “bitter” but gives me “bittersweet”–which is something I love when it comes to food. I wish I wasn’t such a big spiritual baby, only wanting the milky–sweet stuff. A more-mature, more discriminating spiritual palate should be able to embrace bittersweet.

[SIGN]Hershey Chocolate Lover Here![/SIGN]

My DH always has very affordable Valentine’s Day shopping…:stuck_out_tongue:

Mmmmm, indeed; it’s called “mocha.”

At work, I dump a packet of cocoa mix into the ghastly brew that passes for coffee around here, and that makes it bearable.

Yet when God hands me any “bitterness” in my life, my first instinct is to reject it. I never reject the “sweetness” He gives. I realized that God doesn’t leave me with “bitter” but gives me “bittersweet”–which is something I love when it comes to food. I wish I wasn’t such a big spiritual baby, only wanting the milky–sweet stuff. A more-mature, more discriminating spiritual palate should be able to embrace bittersweet.

Blah blah blah. I never met anybody who “liked” bitterness in life. John of the Cross notwithstanding. I’m content to say: OK, Lord. If you need me to go through this, I’ll accept it. Just be sure you help me figure out what the good part is – at least SOMEWHERE along the way!

That is a very good way to look at the hard parts of life. Thanks:D

Oh yeah!! These are my FAVORITE! I usually only indulge at Christmas & Easter:( .

We have a local place that’s pretty good and very cool to look at…but the sales people are super rude (my general Florida experience–spent too much time in Texas):

normanloveconfections.com/

The Whole Foods flagship store in downtown Austin makes some very interesting truffles with herbs and spices, like rosemary and chili powder!

I don’t mind the Lammes Candy “Longhorns” (aka turtles) also from Austin.

My favorite is Callebaut bittersweet. There is a local bakery/sweetshop that makes the best milk chocolate - not at all cloying, and kind of carmelly.

I also love the Fran’s grey salt caramels.

I do not like Hershey’s (too sweet and flat) or Godiva (it tastes waxy to me).

Great thread!

Hershey (like McDonalds, with their coffee) has kicked it up a bit and is doing better.

Godiva in Belgium is a completely different proposition from what it is on this side of the Atlantic (at least it was last time I checked). I think the cachet of Godiva is much more about the pretty box than it is about chocolate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.