Favorite Children's Books?

What are your favorite children’s books? (religious and secular)

I have a soon to be 3 year old that can’t get enough of books and I want to start compiling our reading list!

Some of his favorites right now are:
If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffee Numeroff (& by the same author - if you give a moose a muffing, if you give a pig a pancake, if you take a mouse to the movies)

The Veggie Tales Bible

Dr. Seuss (green eggs & ham, the cat in the hat)

Curious george & the puppies, Curious george & the train

Anything Dora

Anything Thomas the Tank Engine (although I do no like Thomas stories so we are “weaning” him out of thomas)

Winnie the pooh (some of the shorter chapters)

Thanks!

Kevin Henkes books (usually starring a mouse character) are great! “Chrysanthemum”, “Julius, the Baby of the World”, “Lilly and the Purple Plastic Purse”, “Chester’s Way” and “Owen”, to name a few, all deal with different issues–being teased about your name, sibling jealousy, security blankets, friendships, possesions. But they are fun and true to life and the illustrations are priceless.

Hmmm…let’s see… I like
I Wanted to Know All About God by Virginia Kroll
Parts (Ted Arnold, I think…)
More Parts
Even More Parts
Good Dog Carl series
Clifford
Knots On A Counting Rope (Bill Martin, Jr.)
The Napping House
Grandpa’s Teeth
Edwina the Emu and Edward the Emu (2 different books based on the same characters)
5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed (and all the sequels that go with it)
There are hundreds more that I love, but teaching kindergarten all day has tired me out and I can’t seem to think!!! Hope this gets you started! Keep reading to your kids…it’s the single most important thing you can do to get them ready to learn!:thumbsup:

So many by Tomie DePaola…
Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs
Tom
Fin McCoul, the Giant of Knockmany Hill
Jamie O’Rourke and the Big Potato
Jamie O’Rourke and the Pooka
Strega Nona
Big Anthony

the list goes on to include lives of the saints, the Blessed Mother, Christmas Stories and more.

I second Good Dog Carl.

Also, it is not in print but you can find some still - Panda Cake is just about the best kids’ book ever.

For this age group, I love the Sandra Boynton board books (my fav is Pajama Time), Robery Munsch (especially Stephanie’s Ponytail, 40 Below Zero, and We Share Everything ---- they’re hysterically funny) and the Little Critter books.

The Giving Tree
Where the Wild Things Are
Alexander and the Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!
Good Night Moon
Simon and the purple crayon?
Amelia Bedelia goes to work (that book still cracks me up)

Strega Nona means grandma witch -FYI
It is a great story though

The series by Beatrix Potter is great for little kids.

For when he gets a little older:
Wind in the Willows (Poop-poop!)
The Hobbit
Peter Pan
Treasure Island
The Secret Garden

And when he turns 12+:
The Lord of the Rings

I did read to him “the giving tree” already. It is now know as the book that makes mommy cry :slight_smile:

In some way the tree reminds me of Jesus giving His life for us…

I believe most christians see that parallel. It is a great way to introduce that topic to young children don’t you think :slight_smile:

Yes, I know. I don’t see that as anything but a cultural thing, not at all an endorsement of witchcraft.

for smaller children
Beatrix Potter
Dr Seuss
A A Milne

picture books:
Leo Leoni
forgot his name, the caterpillar book, his art looks like colorful collage of tissue paper
Ezra Jack Keats
Max Sendak
Sandra Boynton
Tasha Tudor

for reading aloud to older children, and for them to read
Narnia books
Little House on the Prairie series
Shoes series by Noel Streatfield
Secret Garden
Wind in the Willow
Hans Brinker, all the classics
Madeline L’Engles time and space travel books
Susan Cooper

When I was a kid, I liked Concordia’s Arch Books. I see they’re still around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.