Favorite Christian/Catholic movies?

What is your favorite Christian/ Catholic movie(s)?

I’d have to say the 1966 film “A Man for All Seasons” with Paul Scofield as St. Thomas More. The script, I believe based from the play by Robert Bolt, is so excellent and incredible acting. The film is very 1960s, but the substance is superb. His integrity, intelligence and constancy has always been such an inspiration.

The trial scene is excellent - especially this monologue. How can you not love it!

youtube.com/watch?v=DX0_FGu8v9A&feature=related

Here’s the trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=-RZKd1be05Q&feature=related

I like Return to Me

imdb.com/title/tt0122459/

:thumbsup: on Return to Me.

I also really like The Scarlet and The Black.

Hi,

My favorites are:

St. Francis of Assisi (Raoul Bova):thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
St. Anthony of Padua:D :smiley: :smiley:
Padre Pio
Marcelino Pan Y Vino

The Mission (Jeremy Irons, Robert de Niro)
Jesus of Nazareth (Robert Powell)
Passion of the Christ (Jim Caviezel)

Dragonheart:eek:

Thanks,
albertziggy:rolleyes:

I have to second these!!! :thumbsup: I’ve never seen the others listed.

Fireproof is a really good Christian movie!!

Hi:

The ones you have never seen are on DVD. The first three have Franciscan themes. I prefer Raoul Bova’s portrayal of Saint Francis over that of Graham Faulkner (Brother Sun, Sister Moon). At least there is a strong presence of the bond between God and Saint Francis in Bova’s version. The Saint Anthony movie is great, though it is in Italian with English subtitles. Marcelino Pay Y Vino was a 50’s movie made in Spain. It is dubbed. It was shown on EWTN.

Dragonheart is the one where Sean Connery lends his voice to a Dragon.

albertziggy:rolleyes:

The Sound of Music!

I just watched the movie last month, although I own the Video for 2-3 years! :blush:

The Mission
Dead Man Walking
Miracle of Marcelino (Marcelino pan y vino)
Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima
Song of Bernadette
We Were Soldiers
Sister Act I

One non-Christian spiritual film about God and the sacredness of life I really liked was* The Color of Paradise,* which was part of the USCCB’s ten best list of 2000.

Even though it isn’t really a religious film, I’d recommend Frequency, starring our favorite Catholic actor, Jim Caviezel! Nice touching story about a father and son.

For morality, I thought *The Island *(2005) did a great job of showing what happens when a society tries to play God through cloning.

Jesus of Nazareth

The Mission
Jesus of Nazareth (wow)
St. Paul (Bible Collection)

For that matter I own a lot of the Bible Collection, by RAI (Italian state tv), not amazing for their production values or acting but they’re nice.

For a great Christian film about faith, forgiveness and redemption, I’d recommend Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2005). It is a well-done, touching story mixed with some instances of humor in between.

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) also deals with similar themes in its story of how a man hardened with grief and revenge can return back to faith in God.

I failed to mention ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’… the first Narnia film. It is a good movie that I would recommend. The part I liked most was the sacrificial scene of Aslan, the Lion, who is actually Christ.

Albertziggy:rolleyes:

Haha - I just had to watch that for school!!! It was pretty good :slight_smile:

Have you seen this? - youtube.com/watch?v=nQrVtRCdUt4 It’s pretty funny.

My favorite movie is Bella. It was really sad, but really powerful!

I love “Regarding Henry” with Harrison Ford. Although not marketed as a Catholic movie, it is very Catholic in its portrayal of the Sacrament of Marriage and being faithful forever, no matter what.

Religious Themes:
The Passion of the Christ
Ben Hur
Brother Sun Sister Moon
Joan Of Arc(The 1998 Telemovie)
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Oh, I forgot to mention the screenplay of Les Miserables… fantastic.

Going My Way with Bing Crosby.

2 more solid films:
Saints And Soldiers
Bella

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.