What's your favorite Christmas Carol?
Here are some of mine:
Silent Night
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Mary Did You Know
O Holy Night
Little Drummer Boy
Do You Hear What I Hear?

All good ones, I like those too. My current favourite is The Christ Child’s Lullaby, sung here by Kathy Mattea.

It just started snowing here, 1st snow of the season , yea!

:snowing: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/gatsby6306/Smileys/thsmiley_snowball.gif

carols.org.uk/................here's some carols and a Christmas Carol Quiz!!

O Come All Ye Faithful

Joy To The World!

What Night Is This?

I have an eclectic list(it also grows!):

'The First Nowell'

'O Holy Night'

'When a Child is Born'

'Welcome to Our World'

'Grown-up Christmas List'

Alan Jackson's 'Let it be Christmas'

The Christmas Shoes

'Silent Night' - a cappella by candlelight!..............

Adeste Fideles!!:p

Linda... our hymnal just changed from Noel to Nowell... it makes me laugh. Especially since my middle name is Noel:rolleyes: Nowell just looks so... strange:D

[quote="ljubim, post:5, topic:178149"]
Adeste Fideles!!:p

Linda... our hymnal just changed from Noel to Nowell... it makes me laugh. Especially since my middle name is Noel:rolleyes: Nowell just looks so... strange:D

[/quote]

'The First Nowell' is an English carol, so, 'Nowell' is correct. "Noel' is French, but probably a more familiar spelling, which is why it is used so frequently.

Does that mean you are a Christmas baby?

Gaude!!

Sort of… 4th of December actually. 2 days until I can buy cigarettes and go to nightclubs!! (just kidding… 18 is quite uneventful:rolleyes:)

But definitely Nowell is “correct”… it’s just odd for me:D

What does gaude mean?:confused:

From ljubim: What does gaude mean?

Veni, Veni Emmanuel

Note: The text to this Advent song is 9th c.; the music is 15th c. French. The lyrics reflect the "O Antiphons" of Vespers of December 17-23 (inclusive), which are used also, in shorted form, in the Alleluia verses before the days' Gospel readings.

Veni, veni, Emmanuel

captivum solve Israel,

qui gemit in exsilio,

privatus Dei Filio.

Gaude, gaude, Emmanuel

Nascetur pro te, Israel.

English Version: O Come, Emmanuel

Come, O come, Emmanuel,
and ransom captive Israel,
that morns in lonely exile here
until the Son of God appear.

Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel!

Unfortunately, our missal doesn't include the Latin. I commented on this to our priest. I think it would be nice to use the Latin especially on Gaudete Sunday, the third Sunday of Advent, when the priest wears rose vestments.

Happy Birthday on Friday - the first First Friday of the New (liturgical) Year!!

Beautiful!

Veni, veni, Emmanuel!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I tend to like less well known carols. I love these two:

In the Bleak Midwinter
Good King Wenceslaus.

I love Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols

The Gift By Aseline Debison

Rudolph vs. Frosty by Theocracy. :p :D

Now that is funny. I am sending it to DD and DH for a laugh.:wink:

[quote="st_lucy, post:13, topic:178149"]
Now that is funny. I am sending it to DD and DH for a laugh.;)

[/quote]

I know, I can't stop listening to it! I find myself playing it over and over (and over). "Rudolph with your nose so bright / Won't you kiss my corn cob pipe." :D

Impossible to say, as it varies. Right now, though:

Guillo prans ton tambourin (Not sure what name people commonly use for it)

Carol of the Bells

Gaudete (The one that goes: Gaudete! Gaudete! Christus est natus, ex Maria Virginae, gaudete!)

Gesu Bambino

Can You Believe?-John Michael Talbot. (A little strange, but I like it. Wonderfully Catholic in a lot of ways.)

Adeste Fidelis

Lulajze Jesuniu (the lyrics, really. Extraordinarily touching. Look it up. It will bring tears to your eyes.)

Mary Did You Know? (yes, I know, some question the Catholicity. I still like it, though)

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:15, topic:178149"]

Mary Did You Know? (yes, I know, some question the Catholicity. I still like it, though)

[/quote]

There's a thread going on right now about that very song (over in the Sacred Scripture forum for some reason). :)

Yes I know. Some objections are valid in a theologically refined sort of way, and depending on how you understand the lyrics, but it doesn’t mean I can’t like the song.

To me, it’s kind of academic anyway, because if one takes the interlocutor’s questions as expressions of the wonderment of the interlocutor and realize Mary’s answer to the ones directly relating to divinity would be “yes, of course”, that set of issues goes away. Also, the “soon deliver you” could elicit a theological kind of response relating to the Immaculate Conception if “deliver” relates to sin (“no”, she might respond, “I was born without sin, and do not require deliverance”) or one to death itself (the Assumption. “I did not anticipate being delivered from death in that manner or at that time, nor did I even begin to understand what that deliverance from earthly life might mean.”) She might not have known Jesus would walk on water, though she would have thought Him capable of it, but, yes, she would known that kissing Him was kissing the face of God.

Just depends on how one thinks of the state of mind of the interlocutor, what the referenes are exactly, and the responses Mary would have.

In a way, the song does bring to mind Talbot’s “Can you Believe?” because he goes through a series of questions (e.g. “Can you believe there’s a miracle coming, and can you believe it will take you away.”). We fill in our own meanings, and our mind makes us do it. The questions are rhetorical in a sense, in that we know what the answers are, but simply hearing them asked in that way is intriguing and challenging to the listener. When Talbot asks us that, our minds respond to it. In a similar way, the “Mary did you know” questions as addressed to us can be thought of as “Can you believe” as well, e.g., “can you, do you, believe He walked on water?” It takes it out of the remoteness of written words in Scripture to a very personal level by asking it of Jesus’ mother, because we can relate to that better sometimes than to written words.

I always took the questions in “Mary Did You Know” to be more in the nature of challenges to our own thoughts. “When you kiss your little baby, you kiss the Face of God” ought to remind us that the face of Jesus is not only part of Jesus, but of every baby and every human being. It makes us think. When we kiss this little baby or that old lady in a nursing home, do we realize we’re kissing the face of God, just as Mary did in kissing Jesus’ face? That shift from “little baby” to “Face of God” juxtaposes the smallness of our humanity with the majesty of God, and tells us there is really not a difference, due to the Incarnation. Long thoughts meant to be stirred by a very simple song.

I think of “Lulazje Jesuniu” in the same sort of way, which is why I like it. “Lullaby baby Jesus, my little pearl”. How often do we think of Jesus as “my little pearl”. We ought to. “Bring him good things, sweet bread and butter.” A newborn can’t eat either one, but it’s an expression of the simplicity of a love for God. We would bring our toddler sweet bread and butter. Same thing with “bring him sweet raisins and almonds”. It dramatically humanizes and personalizes something we often think in a rather abstract way.

“Carol of the Drum” (Little Drummer Boy) is somewhat the same. Who would play a drum for a baby? One could even take it as offensive to God; waking up a baby with drumming, even presuming that somehow something like drumming would be pleasing to God. But the whole point of it is that one brings those gifts one has, and the very inappropriateness affirms that our best is acceptable even if we might reasonably doubt it in a purely human sense.

I’ll stop. Sorry. :slight_smile: I enjoyed it though.

The original question was: **What's your favorite Christmas Carol?

I know the Catholicity of some of my list could also be questioned. My choices are often based on a song/carol/hymn that has a solid Christian message. Would I use all of them in the setting of a Mass? I think not!! But, I agree with Ridgerunner's comments on "Mary, Did You Know.' It should be on my list, too. I have heard just the piano arrangement used during Mass as an offertory - no vocal. I would ask my priest before I used it in my church - maybe as a prelude, though.

I only wish people would pay more attention to the words of hymns used at Mass. Some musicians really make an effort to choose music that truly coordinates with the liturgy. I think many people in the pews overlook hymn lyrics as a source of reflection. Many of the words provide great insight and inspiration without their music. (Mind you, I am aware that some really stink and have no depth - repeating "Soon and very soon, I am going to see the King" 4 times does nothing for me!!!) Does anybody else meditate on hymns before Mass begins? One I especially like is 'Of the Father's Love Begotten' - Divinum Mysterium. Many may know the first verse, I like them all - certainly appropriate for Advent, I think. Beautiful tune, too.

Huh... see you learn something every day! I didn't know the Nowell/Noel history! :)

My favorite by far is 'O Holy Night'...
I cry every time they get to "Fall on your knees..."

I shouldn't be adding favorites, but I will.

"Coventry Carol"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.