Favorite Christmas movies and specials

I love to watch Christmas movies and specials during the holiday season. So, I thought we'd share our favorites. Here are some of mine:
1. A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions are my personal favorites)
2. It's a Wonderful Life
3. Charlie Brown Christmas
4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
5. Miracle on 34th Street (I like the original best, but the one with Richard Attenborough isn't too shabby either)
6. The Life and Times of Santa Claus (little known stop-motion cartoon based on L. Frank Baum's book of the same name. It plays on ABC Family annually, check it out if you haven't seen it)
7. Nightmare Before Christmas (yes, it totally counts as both a Halloween movie and a Christmas movie)
8. The Small One (cartoon by Don Bluth before he left Disney. So yes, it's got the heartwarming and tragedy mixed in like he always did before the executives got too involved with his work and ruined it)
9. The Little Match Girl. (A Disney short you can find on youtube or on the Little Mermaid DVD. It's so heartbreaking! )

We have a slew of them!

Scrooge, with Alaistair Sim (TOP fave of all time)
The Man Who Came To Dinner with Bette Davis (watching that today)
Christmas In Connecticut
Miracle on 34th Street (with Maureen O'Hara)
It's A Wonderful Life (with Jimmy Stewart)
The Bishop's Wife (with Cary Grant)
Die Hard (with Bruce Willis)

Today I watched Blizzard with my grandchildren.

But our favourites are:

Happy Prince
The Selfish Giant
A Christmas Carol
The Holly and the Ivy
Babes in Toyland

1)The Bishop’s Wife
2) It’s a Wonderful Life
3) White Christmas
4) Holiday Inn
5) Miracle on 34th (early version) tied with Chrstmas Carol ( George C Scott and ealier version)…Also love Patick Stewart’s version

Kids shows

1. Little Drummer Boy
  2. The Night the Animals talked (hard to find)
  3. Rudolph Red Nosed Reindeer

Babes in toyland, Charley brown Christmas, scrooged, disney’s a Christmas carol

I recorded a bunch that played the week before TG, playing them back they are actually commercials for black Friday shopping punctuated by scenes from these movies.

the original Grinch
Charlie Brown's Christmas which I don't see advertised at all
of those TV movies, mostl on hallmark and ABCfam, some that seem to stand the test of time are Silver Bells and I think National Tree will be a classic, those that have some family generational conflict that is resolved.

I would like to see the Ed Asner Christmas movie about a family gathering again.

Miss Amahl and the Night Visitors, which used to be a staple back when TV was B&W

The Bishops Wife
Joyoux Noel
A Christmas Carol (G.S. Scott version)
Home alone
A Christmas Story
It’s a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th St
Nutcracker (animated version that I watched as a kid)

I also watched The Nativity Story and Elf and enjoyed those as well.

The must-watch movies for my family are:
The Little Drummer Boy
Frosty the Snowman
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Rudolph

And we usually find a time to watch Home Alone as well. Elf is pretty hilarious too.

It's just not Christmas without Charlie Brown (and Linus!). Thankfully, I own a copy.

For the last 13 years my son and I watch The Muppets Christmas Carol every year. It's a tradition, we love it! :D

Other films that are not strictly christmas films but that are aired every year around christmas are:
Little Lord Fountleroy with Alec Guinness
and the fairytale film Three Nuts for Cinderella a GDR and Chech coproduction.

Favorite Classic movie:

It's a Wonderful Life

Favorite "cutesy" movie:

Elf

Favorite TV special:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Favorite religious movie:

Nativity Story

Notice how there are no more Christmas specials? And what passes for Christmas programming---the less said, the better.

I'm happy to see "The Bishop's Wife" popping up on so many people's lists. It's what I would call a minor classic but still a really interesting movie (though I seem to remember there's something a bit creepy about the Cary Grant character's fixation with Loretta Young towards the end). Definitely not your average Christmas movie.

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:13, topic:222467"]
Notice how there are no more Christmas specials? And what passes for Christmas programming---the less said, the better.

[/quote]

You mean there are no new ones being made or that they don't broadcast the old specials we remember from childhood (Charlie Brown, etc.)?

I read somewhere recently that in one person's opinion Christmas has morphed in our society into a religion-neutral "winter festival." If true that's unfortunate and depressing.

[quote="tomarin, post:15, topic:222467"]
You mean there are no new ones being made or that they don't broadcast the old specials we remember from childhood (Charlie Brown, etc.)?

I read somewhere recently that in one person's opinion Christmas has morphed in our society into a religion-neutral "winter festival." If true that's unfortunate and depressing.

[/quote]

I meant both. Even on PBS (which I seldom watch), you could find The Face, and many other Christmas specials, a couple of years ago. Last year and this---nothing.

[quote="tomarin, post:14, topic:222467"]
I'm happy to see "The Bishop's Wife" popping up on so many people's lists. It's what I would call a minor classic but still a really interesting movie (though I seem to remember there's something a bit creepy about the Cary Grant character's fixation with Loretta Young towards the end). Definitely not your average Christmas movie.

[/quote]

If you thought the Cary Grant version was creepy, check out the remake with Denzel Washington.

In addition to the Alastair Sim Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life I also like The Lion in Winter.

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:16, topic:222467"]
I meant both. Even on PBS (which I seldom watch), you could find The Face, and many other Christmas specials, a couple of years ago. Last year and this---nothing.

[/quote]

I remember "The Snowman" on PBS many years ago, although that wasn't explicitly religious (from what I can remember).

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" tops the list, then "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".

Movies:

It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street -- the original as well as the one from 1973 with Sebastian Cabot;
The Night They Saved Christmas -- but they haven't shown that one in a while and it's not available on DVD
National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation"
The Best Christmas Pageant, Ever! -- my drama group did that one last year

I simply loved the old Bing Crosby and Andy Williams Christmas specials (though the Bing Crosby/David Bowie pairing was one of the oddest things ever...)

We are nuts for White Christmas; going to see it tomorrow at a lovely old local theatre, which often shows classic movies. We also own it on DVD, have a copy of the original script, and have visited Rosemary Clooney's home in Kentucky, where several of the costumes and props are displayed.

I also love Holiday Inn, Elf, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I do well remember Amahl and the Night Visitors from LONG ago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.