Favorite Christmas Songs

I am in the middle of getting the lyrics of a Christmas song my 9 year old niece who will be singing in their class' Christmas party.

Going through the list of Christmas songs available I found some of my favorites that I would like to share with you.

Local Filipno artists:

1, Christmas in our Hearts by Jose Mari Chan

1. A wish on Christmas Night by Jose Mari Chan

....what can I say, I'm a fan of Jose Mari Chan :D

1. Kampana ng Simbahan by Mabuhay singers
    Its about the bells of the Church ringing calling people to join midnight mass

2. Kumukutikutitap by Joey Albert
    Its about blinking Christmas lights and putting up the Christmas tree.

Foreign artists

1. Last Christmas by Taylor Swift

...the kids of my sister have been singing it over and over...:D

1. White Christmas by Bill Crosby

...I also like

1. Gunter Kallman Choir Christmas songs

....Actually I like a lot of other Christmas songs because I grew up listening to them every Christmas , courtesy of my dad who loves music. :)

I think it would be interesting to know what people from other countries think as their favorite holiday song. It can be traditional songs or more recently released Chrsttmas songs by local artists from your country or adaptations of older songs..

Would anyone here want to share what their favorite Christmas songs are with me? :D

Nothing better than O come o come Emmanuel/Veni veni Emmanuel by a choir.

some seldom heard favorites for late advent and Christmas
Lo how a rose e'er blooming (in German is great, English is fine too)
there is a Polish carol that used to be standard on the radio in Cleveland at this time of year which I cannot remember for the life of me, would love to hear it again
Carol of the Bells
Coventry Carol
(Lully Lullay)
Patapan
Ding dong merrily on high

I love a children's choir for most Christmas songs with good soloists
going to a children's concert is a highlight of Christmas for me
my other fave and I already missed it this year is Tuba Christmas
any thing played on brass is great, even better by Canadian Brass

for secular songs, Sleighride

caveat: O Holy Night is my favorite because it was my dad's but sung by a good choir with a trained voice for the solo
this time of year I have to turn off the radio because some pop artist butchers that song at least once an hour. there oughta be a law

OP, can you share some Filipino Christmas customs with us?
Down here we have of course Las Posadas, which actually are an Advent custom, La Buena Nocha (Christmas eve Mass and celebration), the pinata (which was originally a catechetical tool by the missionaries) and Mexico's gift to the world, chocolate

Oh my, I love so many Christmas songs. My favorites are the old hymns.

Silent Night
Adeste Fidelis
O Little Town of Bethlehem.

But I also like:
**Let it be Christmas **(by Alan Jackson)
Jesus & Mary’s Boy (Alabama…in fact their whole Christmas C.D. is AWESOME.

TOO MANY TO LIST. :christmastree1:

My all time favorite is O Holy Night!… I’m always in tears when it gets to “…fall on your knees…”

[quote="Nelka, post:2, topic:222325"]
Nothing better than O come o come Emmanuel/Veni veni Emmanuel by a choir.

[/quote]

This is almost the ONLY traditional Christmas carol I really look forward to singing, and hearing. It sounds both Jewish and Christian to me at the same time, which I just love.

I try not to play it often so I don't burn out on it too!

this is not a religious song but its a great Christmas song that Bob Dylan recorded last year....here is a link to the awesome video...

youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus

That "Last Christmas" played incessantly in the grocery store I worked at last year. I have to say it is the single most annoyingly stupid "Christmas" song ever. UGH!

Steph

I like "Mary's Boy Child" sung by:

Harry Belafonte

youtube.com/watch?v=UZ4FK1uXm_U

and the reggae-style cover by Boney M.

youtube.com/watch?v=C7-4GC828rM

I like both a lot, but I like Harry belafonte's version a little more.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:5, topic:222325"]
My all time favorite is O Holy Night!... I'm always in tears when it gets to "...fall on your knees..."

[/quote]

Absolutely agree... Gives me goose bumps! :thumbsup:

youtube.com/watch?v=sDeXUvWbLp8

I love the selections you gave.....I will be watching all of them...on the links you gave....

I am searching them on the internet too ! :D

I like hearing Christmas songs. One the little reasons I love Christmas season.

Many thanks for your replies. :D

Hi puzzleannie! :smiley:

Nice post! .

I love a children’s choir for most Christmas songs with good soloists.

This Christmas is kind of special…because we found out that what my 9-year old niece’s talent is …it’s singing! It took other people to recognize the talent… and we were all surprised that she got chosen to sing solo at her First Communion mass of her school a few weeks ago. She sang the entire Responsorial Psalm…she sang like an angel! She had a lovely, innocent young voice.

My sister (her mom) overheard another mom say how beautiful her voice was *(narrating like a proud aunt :D). *

Anyway my niece sort of inspired me to research on the internet for beautiful Christtmas songs as she (again) was chosen by her class to sing solo a Christmas song for their Christmas party in school.

I ended up researching Christmas songs for myself…:smiley:

OP, can you share some Filipino Christmas customs with us?
Down here we have of course Las Posadas, which actually are an Advent custom, La Buena Nocha (Christmas eve Mass and celebration), the pinata (which was originally a catechetical tool by the missionaries) and Mexico’s gift to the world, chocolate

Those are really nice customs. :smiley: We share a lot of customs with Mexico and feel close to her in many ways…even if our countries are in different continents…:thanks to to our shared faith and in part, the Galleon trade of the 19th century

I know the pinata…and that it originated in Mexico. Here in the Philippines, we sort of adapted it using “palayok”" or a earthen bowl that is hung, filled with candies and goodies that guests take turns to whack it with a stick (while blindfolded) until it breaks and everyone scrambles to get the most prizes that falls from it. Some families here do this during some special celebrations, including Christmas.

Its great to know that we both share the tradition of Midnight mass. I think its the highlight of Christmas as the mass is our highest form of prayer. Its a good way to prepare for the celebration of Christ’s birth on Christmas.

In my country…we start our midnight mass on Decmber 16 …it is 9-day series of masses called Misa de Gallo (in Spanish) or Simbang Gabi (in Tagalog, a Filipino dialect)…the terms are synonymus and means midnight masses to us. Traditionally we go to mass early morning. Today…we have the option of either waking early for mass (sometimes as early as 4 am) or go to the anticipated masses at 10 pm…but we try to complete the 9 days of masses.

At the end of mass…many look forward to eating bibingka, puto bungbong and hot tsokolate (chocolate!..another tradition we share…:D). Bibingka and puto bungbong are rice-based cakes eaten with coconut which is traditionally seen during Christmas season.

"Noche Buena"is another term we share. On Christmas eve, after mass, we celebrate this special meal called “Noche Buena” with the family.Hams, quezo de bola (ball of edam cheese) are commonly eaten, as well as other family food specialties.

I am glad that until today, Mexico and the Philippines continue to share many beautiful traditions.

I know that Our Lady of Guadalupe loves both our countries. as all of are her children. :smiley:

Thanks for the links to your fave Christmas songs…I watched all of them :D…I got the idea of posting the links to the songs I like I mentioned in my post #1…in case you’re interested…

Local Filipno artists:

1, Christmas in our Hearts by Jose Mari Chan

youtube.com/watch?v=CVw0wcLTOoE

1. A wish on Christmas Night by Jose Mari Chan

youtube.com/watch?v=xVq-h4RvDmk&feature=related

…what can I say, I’m a fan of Jose Mari Chan

1. Kampana ng Simbahan by Mabuhay singers
    Its about the bells of the Church ringing calling people to join midnight mass

youtube.com/watch?v=DINXmiDUQrU

1. Kumukutikutitap by Joey Albert
    Its about blinking Christmas lights and putting up the Christmas tree.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wd9zLS2Kji4

Foreign artists

1. Last Christmas by Taylor Swift

youtube.com/watch?v=5-Gm-2xDaVw

…the kids of my sister have been singing it over and over…

1. White Christmas by Bill Crosby

youtube.com/watch?v=PA45TnJQxhU

…I also like

1. Gunter Kallman Choir Christmas songs/QUOTE]

youtube.com/watch?v=CWqgu6EalzM

To puzzleannie:

The bibingka and puto-bungbong I mentioned in my previous post is featured in the Kumukutikutitap video. :smiley:

Do You Hear What I Hear?

What Child is This?

Away in a Manger

Carol of the Bells

Joseph's Song by Michael Card (<- title name link)

:)

[quote="abort73catholic, post:14, topic:222325"]
Do You Hear What I Hear?

What Child is This?

Away in a Manger

Carol of the Bells

Joseph's Song by Michael Card (<- title name link)

:)

[/quote]

Joseph's Song.....first time I am hearing this....:)

What lovely lyrics. Its very meaningful.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Boney M.: Christmas Album

[quote="kelvinf, post:16, topic:222325"]
Boney M.: Christmas Album

[/quote]

Yup! I agree. :thumbsup:

I watched the video that Rolypoly posted. :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.