Favorite Classic Actors/Actresses

I'm a huge fan of classic movies, you just cannot find that quality in modern cinema anymore. I have some actors and actresses that I think I would watch pretty much every movie they made.

Actors:

Mongomery Clift
Cary Grant
Peter Sellers
Richard Burton
Clarke Gabel
Paul Newman
Burt Lancastor
James Dean
Jack Lemon
Tony Curtis
James Stewart
Walter Pigeon

Actresses:

Audrey Hepburn
Natalie Woods
Elizabeth Taylor
Vivien Leigh
Jean Simmons

I share your sentiments. I appreciate the quality dialogue in classic movies.

These are mine

Actresses:
Joan Crawford definitely
Ingrid Bergman
Hedy Lamarr
Tallulah Bankhead
Katharine Hepburn
Alexis Smith
Olivia de Havilland
Thelma Ritter
Paulette Goddard
Joan Fontaine

Actors:
Joseph Cotton
Claude Rains
Leslie Howard
George Sanders
Richard Burton definitely

Here are my picks:

Actors
Basil Rathbone
Clark Gable
John Wayne
Tyrone Power
Lon Chaney (Sr. and Jr.)
Errol Flynn
Richard Burton
Bing Crosby
Fred Astaire
Bob Hope
Gene Autry
Leslie Howard
James Stewart

Actresses
Vivian Leigh
Elizabeth Taylor
June Allyson
Margaret O'Brien
Lucille Ball
Ginger Rogers
Olivia De Havilland

Gregory Peck!

Lilian Gish.

Laurel and Hardy

Actors:

Burt Lancaster

Actress:

ANYTHING w/ Bette Davis

Karen Black
Humphrey Bogart
Dorothy Dandridge
Greer Garson
Bob Hope
Dennis Hopper
Jerry Lewis
Ronald Reagan
Edward G. Robinson
Jean Simmons
Elizabeth Taylor
Orson Welles
Mae West
Natalie Wood

WHAT! Only one John Wayne fan here—that’s down right un-American. :eek: :crying:

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:8, topic:219707"]
WHAT! Only one John Wayne fan here—that’s down right un-American. :eek: :crying:

[/quote]

I would add John Wayne, and two of the movies he SHOULD have won an Academy Award for: Red River and The Shootist.
And James Cagney. Rare is it for an actor to display such natural ability as he did on the screen, whether gangster films or musicals.
Oh, and actresses for me would have to be the Duke's leading lady Maureen O'Hara.

Gregory Peck (He's just my favorite.)
Paul Newman
Jimmy Stewart
Lawrence Olivier
Michael Caine
Christopher Plummer

Audrey Hepburn
Katherine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Grace Kelly
Merle Oberon
Olivia de Havilland

Oh yes I enjoy the old movies as well. Have hooked my teenage sons on them also.

Pat O'Brien
Errol Flynn
Tyrone Power
James Cagney
Rex Harrison
Charles Coburn
Clark Gable
Dana Andrews
Cornell Wilde

Olivia de Havilland
Linda Darnell
Gene Tierney
Jeanne Crain
Ava Gardener
Jennifer Jones
Myrna Loy

I could go on but these have got to be my top favorites.

[/quote]

Ditto, with the addition of Gary Cooper.Both, I believe, became Catholics later in life.

[quote="Catholic1954, post:4, topic:219707"]
Gregory Peck!

[/quote]

I agree with your vote for Gregory Peck. He was the definitive Atticus Finch and was also very good in "The Big Country". And who could forget "Roman Holiday" with another of my favorites, Audrey Hepburn?
I also love Carey Grant and Katherine Hepburn, especially in "Bringing Up Baby", a hilarious screwball comedy.
The two Hepburn ladies and Ingrid Bergman could make any role really interesting and believable.
Two more of my favorites are Ronald Coleman (love his accent!) and Fred Astaire.
Can you tell I love old movies? :)

[/quote]

I loved the Duke in "The Quiet Man", "The Cowboys", and my favorite, "True Grit".
I'm really surprised there's a remake of "True Grit" coming out. The original was so great and is one of my all-time favorite movies. John Wayne was perfect as Rooster Cogburn, I think the part was written for him! Aside from that, I don't see how the original can be improved upon. It was just that great.

[quote="livnlern, post:14, topic:219707"]
I loved the Duke in "The Quiet Man", "The Cowboys", and my favorite, "True Grit".
I'm really surprised there's a remake of "True Grit" coming out. The original was so great and is one of my all-time favorite movies. John Wayne was perfect as Rooster Cogburn, I think the part was written for him! Aside from that, I don't see how the original can be improved upon. It was just that great.

[/quote]

Here is another John Wayne fan. :extrahappy: I have seen 80 of his films (I need to print out the list again so I can make sure I have not seen more). I am very worried and upset that they are remaking the only film that the Duke won an Oscar. I truly believe it to be a slap in the face.

Now the Duke is my all-time favorite classic actor, but I have others. Here they are:

Actors:**
Cary Grant
Clark Gable
Frank Sinatra
James Stewart
Dean Martin
Orson Welles
Lionel Barrymore
Tyrone Power

Actresses:Judy Garland
Katherine Hepburn
Ginger Rogers
Debbie Reynolds
Doris Day
Ethel Barrymore
Maureen O'Hara

I have a couple favorites from old movies that may not be the top of anyone else's lists. I just loved Charlotte Greenwood. I saw her in an old movie this past weekend, and was just waiting with baited breath for her to dance. Edward Everett Horton was in the same movie. There's a little old chubby man named S Z Sakall aka Cuddles, who was in a zillion old movies, especially a bunch of musicals with Doris Day. Love him.

I'm nuts for both the Genes, Kelly and Nelson.
Donald O'Connor
George Kennedy
Humphrey Bogart
Peter Lorre
Claude Rains
Leslie Howard
Just about everyone named earlier.

Bette Davis
Lauren Bacall
Jennifer Jones
Merle Oberon
Maureen O'Hara and Maureen O'Sullavan
Grace Kelly
Kim Novak
Judy Holliday
Most of the ladies above except Joan Crawford...her eyebrows drive me bonkers and I can't concentrate on the drama.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.