Favorite comic book

Did you have a favorite comic book?

Did you feel it connected you to a religion?

Did you ever study to see where it came from?

Did you like marvel or DC comic books best?

In superman who blew up the planet Krypton where superman came from?

My favorite growing up was Superman. No, it didn’t connect me to a religion unless it was going to be centered around me as a superhero :wink: . No, I never studied where it came from. I like Marvel myself.

I really like the Sadhu series, although it is favorable to Hindu beliefs.

Peace…

MW

Thanks I didn’t know that about the different series. Got any sites?
here is one about captain marvel jr
adherents.com/lit/comics/CaptainMarvelJr.html

Jack Chick :eek::smiley:

Here’s a link describing the Sadhu series from Virgin Comics. They actually have some other good comics too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sadhu

and here’s the official site:

virgincomics.com/Pages/Digital_Comics.aspx?SQS=0mxqLDs91TjcKDo6Prc1r43ZElta%2fWdMSJUX3eMDOgg28LPB6EJNNb8lUGwNZXjtNkrKggQe2hT7Hpm2ssqooZNZfvdzJrDa

I have to warn you that it is not compatible with Catholic teaching as it adheres to the idea of reincarnation. Regardless, I think it’s a well made comic.

Peace…

MW

My favorite since I was 10 has been Archie comics. My FIL bought me some collector issues that have clear Christian messages, talking about “the moral of the story” and relate it to Jesus. :slight_smile: I don’t read Marvel or DC :frowning: I’m too partial to Archie. :o

Yeah I never really thought of it as a comic but now I see it in some way. I used to think of them as scripture, like a mini bible. Kind of silly.

Mine was casper the ghost, at least I think it was a comic for awhile other than the cartoon. It really was important to me that I saw a ghost as friendly and not scary. And peanuts.

Archie comics for me too. Ive never read the history of the comic but I think I will look it up now. When I was 10 and and reading the comics I never noticed anything really religious that I would still remember to this day.

Loved Superman when a kid. No, it didn’t bring me any closer to religion.

Favorite as an adult, and this was a comic strip that has become several book like compilations, was Calvin and Hobbes.

And yes, the dialogue between the philosophical tiger and the madcap kid was able to put things in a somewhat spiritual/philosophical light.

And occasionally, Bloom County could do the same thing.

Just for discussion did you see in superman as having heavenly parents as on the planet krypton, now remember he came down to earth to be born and earthly parents who raised him. Do you think this is linking to the bible?

As a big collector of comic books since childhood first a quick answer to why Krypton blew up. The usual answer is that it’s core was unstable and eventually become so unstable the planet exploded. Although over the years DC has suggested that either a)The Kryptionian god Rao who seems a bit callous in some stories subtly manipulated the core so it would blow up or b)the people of Krypton themselves caused it by mucking about with their planets core thousands of years before the explosion.

My own favourite comics growing up - Marvel’s X-men during the period when it was written so that serious discussion on the nature of prejudice occurred and the writer of that time often tried to make characters nationality and religion have some reflection in their portrayal and not just be cardboard cutouts.

Batman as the darkness of the stories had a certain primal quality under better writers.

A series called the Question which tended to be very philosophical and I have fond memories of the writer’s recommended reading section on the letters page where he would recommend various books of philosophy.

Swamp thing - this one has some quite religous issues including a looooooooong storyline on what exactly the nature of evil is.

Sandman - again a lot of religous oriented storylines in this and angels and Lucifer pop up constantly.

Elfquest - one of the first non superhero comics I read which opened my eyes to it as a wider art form.

Maus - like the above opened my eyes to non superhero comics, it’s a retelling of a Holocaust survivors experiences as told to his son. But it is painful at parts especially when the son asks about his mother’s suicide after her experiences in Auschwitz.

I had the unique advantage of being the son of a printer. World Color Press printed both DC and Marvel Comics…every Thursday morning when I got up Dad’s lunch box would be on the kitchen table (he worked 2nd shift…3-11 and my bed time was 10 so I usually didn’t see him come home). Inside the lunch box would be his wet towel, his socks and T-shirt, and in the spot where the thermos would go if he carried one I’d find a stack of twenty or thirty comic books. I always went for the Archie comics first…never got into the others all that much.

My goodness the amount of money I’d have if I’d have saved and preserved the comics he brought home…

As a young adult I also worked at the same printing plant for a few years…my father had advanced from Journeyman Pressman to Shift Supervisor and eventually Printing Department Manager…Dad was my boss, which was, at times, a bit uncomfortable.

I started out on the Letter Presses where the comics were printed…I then expanded my comic reading to X-Men, a few others…and my now ALL TIME FAVORITE…GROO THE WANDERER. Groo is an hilarious parody of Conan the Barbarian that had a series of running gags that still make me giggle…references to cheese dip…mulch, etc

I’d read these books, quite literally, “hot off the press” either during my break or when I was on the slower paced automatic stacker (as oppossed to the manual stacker…the press had one of each on either side of the press),

I’m not sure what the point of this Topic is, but thanks for bringing back some wonderful childhood memories.

Now that I think of it, that would make some sense. But to be honest, the first thing that popped in my head was Mormonism :o. You know, “gods” on other planets, becoming a “god” yourself kind of thing.

I just know that growing up I wanted to fly and I could really connect with Superman’s abilities and his kindness in helping others. Great question though.

Peace…

MW

I really loved your story. Thank you for sharing that.

Peace…

MW

Brainiac did, Jor-El was his creator…kind of a “Frankenstien” scenario.

I loved Marvel stuff, Spiderman probably my favorite.

Anybody remember Plasticman?

As far as compilations the old Tracy’s (circa WW2) were great, the Mole, Mumbles, Flathead, The Brow, what great villians!

Plasticman,

Publisher - DC change why Krypton blows up so often I don’t think they’re really sure themselves. -your answer is true as well as mine - it’s just they keep rebooting the continuity so no answer is true permanently. I think the best way to look at the whole concept of ‘continuity’ in comics is this quote from a Superman story, ‘This is an imaginary story, but aren’t they all?’

And some quotes -some with religous application from Superman (Or rather the writers on the book at the time they were made):-

“No good has ever come of a Holy War, and never will!” (Superman chastising some Christian and Jewish kids fighting over religious differences

“In this world, there is right and there is wrong, and that distinction is not difficult to make.”

One from a very old X-men issue:-

“What you say is reasonable, logical, justifiable. But does that make it right?” (Nightcrawler’s pointed response to Wolverine’s justification of lethal force…)

Note Nightcrawler was always portrayed as a devout Catholic in the comics until recently when some idiots with seemingly anti-Catholic agendas got let loose over at Marvel comics. The original writer who added to that his character actually did research into church doctrine and was always respectful of religion when he introduced it onto the page.

And one from the comic I mentioned on another thread about Lucifer:-

Mr. Easterman: They used to call the devil the father of lies. But for someone whose sin is meant to be pride, you’d think that lying would leave something of a sour taste. So my theory is that when the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn’t lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell.

I always had a special place for spiderman…I was a skinny little chemistry geek myself. He was Catholic, too, it seems.

I loved Batman. Totally awesome. He was a normal man who honed himself into the hero that he was. No super powers, no special abilities. Just the peak of human training. Not much Catholic or Christian about him

It is not exactly on subject, but I love the Hulk tv show. The mission of putting man and beast within into balance, controlling anger…great story with a haunting them song.

As I got older, I grew to appriciate more of the Comic heros. I am not sure who is my favorite now. I think that some have a better message than others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.