Favorite Fall Dessert Recipes

I’m going to a special dinner party this weekend and want to make a good impression. I volunteered to bring a salad (romaine, pear, cashew, apple, etc… “harvest salad”) and a dessert. The hostess indicated she’ll probably be serving either Chili or Stew and I can’t decide what to bring for a dessert. So many CAF posters have good recipes, this seemed like a good place to look for some ideas! I can cook most anything so even if it sounds difficult to make, I’m open to the idea.

I love something creamy after chili, chiffon pie or another icebox pie would be great.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - creamy AND fall-ish :slight_smile:

Seconded. It’s rich but not too heavy, and just unusual enough to make a bit of a splash.

This is the recipe that I use. There are other very good looking recipes on the same website, though.

Mmm… both good ideas. Keep’em coming ladies (and gents if they desire) I’ve got a sweet tooth anyway!

I have the simplest apple cake recipe from a great grandmother. It is dense, moist, with discernable pieces of diced apples and no frosting - just a sugar/cinnamon syrup that crusts on top. VERY easy. If you have interest, I’ll post the recipe when I get home.

This one is easy: PUMPKIN CRUNCH

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 can (16 oz.) solid pack pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. each cinnamonm nutmeg, ginger
1/2 tsp. salt1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup melted butter
whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom of 9x13 pan. Combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, spices and salt in large bowl. Pour into pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture. Top with pecans. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden. Cool completely. Serve with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers, if there are any.

I don’t know if this is necessarily a “fall” dish, but chocolate is always a good choice, in my opinion. I like baking this for special occasions because it is beautiful and extra good. It’s really moist, with a nice cream cheese ribbon in the center, and a gooey thick fudge topping.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Bundt Cake

Ingredients:
1 c. butter, softened
3 c. sugar
5 eggs
2 3/4 c. sifted cake flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. cocoa
1 c. evaporated milk
2 (1 oz ea) squares unsweetened chocolate,
melted
1 t. vanilla extract
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese softened
1/4 c. suagr
1 egg
1 T. cornstarch

Fudge Frosting:
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c/ semi smweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Beat butter at medium speed of an electric
mixer until creamy. Gradually add 3 cups
sugar, beating at medium speed 5 to 7
minutes. Add 5 eggs, one at a time, beating
until yellow just disappears,

Combine Flour and next 3 ingredients; add to
butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning
and ending with flour mixture. Mix at low
speed until just blended, blending after each
addition. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla,
set batter aside.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed until
smooth. Add 1/4 c. sugar, beating well. Add 1
egg and cornstarch, beating til smooth. Pour
half of chocolate batter into a greased and
floured 10" bundt pan. Spoon cream cheese
batter over chocolate batter, leaving a border
around the outer edge. Spoon remaining
chocolate batter over the cream cheese layer.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until
a wooden pick inserted in center comes out
almost clean (do not overbake) Cool in pan
on a wire rack for 30 minutes, removed from
pan and let cool completely, inverted on a wire
rack. Pour fudge frosting over top of cake.

Fudge Frosting
Combine first 3 ingredients in a small heavy
sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove
from heat; add cocolate chips, stirring until
chocolate melts. Place sauce pan in a bowl of
ice. Beat frosting with a wooden spoon 3 to 4
minutes until thickened and spreading
consistency.

How about apple crisp?

This simple recipe will serve four big eaters or eight small eaters

4 large apples or 8 small apples (any will do), peeled, cored and sliced right into a casserole dish that has been lightly sprayed with no stick spray

2 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, mix with apples in dish. If you use a baking apple or your apples are sour increase sugar to as much as 1/4 cup here.

In a separate bowl, mix with fingers 1/4 cup butter (you can use margarine but…), 1/2 cup oatmeal (quick cooking or regular), 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of apples.

Bake in a 350 oven for 1/2 - 1 hr. until apples are tender.

Serve with cream or ice cream.

Got to go now but I can definitely think of some more ideas :smiley:

Brenda V.

This is pumpkin mousse–it’s a quick knock-off of pumpkin cheesecake, pretty healthy for a dessert & delicious:

1 block fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
1 can pumpkin
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

Blend all ingredients and chill in refrigerator for 4 hours. Makes 3-4 servings. Sooooooo good.

I am going to make this.

I know this kills the health factor, but that would be awesome with a slice of pound cake or some gingerbread cake.

This recipe came about by accident, when I was using up leftovers from Thanksgiving my first year of marriage. Everyone liked them so much that now I make them every year!

Fall Cranberry-Oat Bars

Filling: 1 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
1 ½ cups water
1 ½ cups sugar

Combine sugar and water in large saucepan. Heat to boiling while stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Add cranberries, return to boiling. Reduce heat so mixture boils gently. Berries will start to pop after 1 to 2 minutes. Boil for 10 to 12 more minutes until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.

Crust & topping: 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/8 tsp. baking soda
¾ cup butter or margarine

Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking soda in mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 ½ cups mixture. Press remaining mixture on bottom of 13x9 inch pan to form base. Spread warm cranberry mixture evenly over base. Sprinkle reserved oat mixture evenly over cranberry filling. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or till top is golden. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

These are rich……cut them small!

How about Indian Pudding? (not an Indian dish but made from corn, modeled after English pudding).

1 C yellow cornmeal
1/2 C dark molasses
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/4 C butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
6 C hot milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2 quart ovenproof baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, molasses, sugar, butter, salt, baking soda and eggs. Stir in 3 C hot milk. Puor into prepared baking dish and bake until mixture is hot an bubbly. Reduce heat to 300 degrees. Stir remaining 3 C hot milk and continue baking another 5 to 7 hours (can go in with a turkey at Thanksgiving). Optional add ins: apples and raisins. Serve over vanilla ice cream. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

*** If you’re in a time crunch bring 5 C milk and butter to a boil. Combine remaining 1C milk with cornmeal and add to scalded milk. Simmer, stirring constantly over low heat 20 min. Mix remaining ingredients together and stir into cornmeal mmixture, blending well. Pour into prepared dish and bake at 300 degrees 1 hour.

This has become a family tradition, in place of Pumpkin Pie. It’s really good and easy!
PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE

2 Cups Pumpkin Puree
1 (12 oz.) can Evaporated Milk
4 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups White Sugar
2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 (18.25 oz.) pkg. Yellow Cake Mix
1 Cup Chopped Pecans
1 Cup Margarine, melted
1 (8 oz.) container Frozen Whipped Topping, thawed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightle grease one 9x13 inch
baking pan. Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice & salt. Mix well & spread into the pan. Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture & pat down. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top of the cake mix then drizzle the melted margarine all over the top. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour but no longer than 1 hour & 20 minutes. Top cooled cake with whipped topping OR you can do what we do and make some Pumpkin Fluff Dip and put it on top instead! :extrahappy:
PUMPKIN FLUFF DIP
1 (16 oz) container frozen whipped topping
1 (5 oz) pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (15 oz) can solid pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
In a large bowl, mix together instant vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin & pumpkin pie spice. Fold in thawed frozen whipped topping. Chill in the refridgerator until serving. This is over the top YUMMY!:slight_smile:

Apple pie and pumpkin pie are American favorites. The pumpkin cheescake would be a nice change over the standard pumpkin pie and I bet a lot of people have never tried it. Plus those who don’t like standard pumpkin pie might like it.

You can never go wrong with apple pie. I never met anyone who doesn’t like apple pie (though I’ve met a lot of people who don’t like pumpkin pie). I don’t like apples or apple juice/cider but I do like apple pie.

Goodness, most everything posted so far sounds good! :slight_smile:

It is Autumn. It is a law of Autumn. You simply **must **do deep-dish apple pie with a dutch crumb topping. You **must **bring along real vanilla ice cream. Cut it in little pieces, and bring a cookie scoop to serve the ice cream. That will stop anybody from being too full.

Everyone has suggested what I was thinking!

In fact, I love all the ideas so much, I’m going to make a couple of the desserts for my family. Everything sounds so good. Thanks for starting this thread!

Oh my goodness… these all sound SO GOOD!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.