Favorite Fictional Character?

Just curious as to what everyone’s thoughts were on this.

So, Who Is Your Favorite Fictional Character? And Why?

Scout :tiphat:

Oh, I’ll let you know mine later. :wink:

Hehe. I’d go for Atticus meself :smiley:

Apart from him? Got a soft spot for Pippin and Merry (two of the Hobbits) from Lord of the Rings and Reepicheep from the Narnia series. Got a thing for the underdogs (underhobbits? undermice?)

Then there’s Jane Eyre, and of course the fantastic Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. Both smart and sassy, true to themselves in a world full of falseness, and know how to stand up for themselves in the best possible way.

Barnabas Collins, the penitent vampire from Dark Shadows. Brilliantly portrayed by Jonathan Frid, a little more woodenly-portrayed by Ben Cross, and soon-to-be-portrayed, hopefully brilliantly, by Johnny Depp.

This character simply will not die. Maybe he really isn’t fictional?! :eek:

I also love Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, and all the wonderful characters, both good and evil, in the Conan Doyle world.

Also James Bond in Ian Fleming’s world.

In books, I have to second Jane Eyre. She’s probably my all-time favorite, but it’s so hard to narrow down! Joan of Arc in Mark Twain’s recounting is very high. Also Ellen, from Robert C O’Brien’s The Silver Crown (which is now back in print, yay!) And oh! Elizabeth Proctor from The Crucible.

Severus Snape from Harry Potter is up there (and he was my fave in the books since #1 came out, I was so happy with the payoff of believing there was more to him than Snidely Whiplash evil).

The Once And Future King by TH White is my favorite book, and I adored pretty much every one in the tale, in one way or another, but had a special spot in my heart for Sirs Grummore and Palomides and their adventure. Father Delaura in Of Love and Other Demons.

In mythology I’m partial to Thetis, Diana, Helen (Elizabeth Cook’s Achilles has the BEST portrayal of Helen I’ve ever encountered).

TV - Agent Scully (X-Files), Dr. McCoy (Star Trek) and a 3-way tie between John Crichton, Aeryn Sun, and Chiana on Farscape. Crichton is actually my favorite fictional man in any medium. He’s just perfect, because of all his imperfections.

When I was into comics, I liked Magneto and Phoenix best (old-school really was Jean Grey and is still dead on the moon Phoenix) best. And Foggy Nelson.

Lord Peter Wimsey from Dorothy Sayers mystery series has always been one of my top favorites. He is intelligent and cultured. I love Jamie Frasier from Diana Gabadon’s Outlander series (sigh). What a wonderful character (and Jamie is a Catholic).

I love Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice. She is lively and bright - a good friend and very sensible.

I am very fond of Harry Bosch from Michael Connolly’s mystery series. Harry is a complex character who is stubborn and will not stop till he solves the case since in his words “I speak for the dead”. I also like Joe Pickett from C.J. Box’s mystery series. He is a game warden in Wyoming and a man who is utterly fair in all his dealings.

There’s a lot more, but I’d have to write my own book.:wink:

Since I read a variety, it’s kinda hard picking a favorite. But if I had to pick a favorite TV character, it would have to be Dr. Gregory House.

Kathy

Everybody knows that the greatest fictional character of all time is Spike from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” It’s a sceintific fact.

Elizabeth Bennet

Fun topic! And impossible to choose just one.

Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. She’s such a strong moral character, but she recognizes she can make mistakes (mis-judgements) and is willing to reconsider her opinions.

Samwise Gamgee in The Lord of the Rings. He is so good, innocent and down to earth. His humility and love for his master, Frodo and others (Rosie, the Gaffer), is inspiring. He is not considered an intelligent character but he is wise beyond the world.

Severus Snape in Harry Potter. This may be influenced by the movies (Alan Rickman plays him so well you can’t help but like him). The revelations about him in the last book give a new perspective to his character. Although Rowling says that he’s still not a nice person etc. I find him an intriguing character.

Aragorn from The Lord of the Rings. The book, not the movie. A real man’s man. A good example of a king. I love the backstory of him and Arwen, how they waited and were faithful to each other.

I suppose there are other characters, but these books draw me back year after year. I read them over and over and never get tired of the story.

Any of the characters in Bram Stoker’s original Dracula…there was just a true feeling of love among them, as they came together with heavy hearts to combat evil.

Books:
[LIST]
*]Hazel, from Watership Down
*]Dr Stephen Maturin from Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series (Master and Commander)
*]John Clark or Domingo Chavez from Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan novels.
[/LIST]

Television…I sometimes wish that when I grow up I could be Elliot Stabler from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

tee
who is quite sure these entries do not constitute his complete list of favorites

Dracula is a wonderful book. I wasn’t expecting it, honestly, but it blew me away. Completely absorbing, with such richly drawn characters. Every remake/spinoff pales in comparison, IMO.

A lot of women seem to be very fond of Elizabeth Bennet. :slight_smile: I think most women can relate to her, and a lot of women see themselves in the character, at least to some degree.

Scout :tiphat:

On TV- Jack Bauer from 24 and Jim Halpert on the Office

In books: Lula and Grandma in Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series and Lincoln Rhyme in Jeffrey Deaver’s books

Oh, yay! I just LOVE Grandma Mazur and Lula!

But my hands down favorite fictional characters of all time: Francie and Katie Nolan from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Believe me, I used to relate to Francie quite a bit when I was younger (some days I still do), and now that I’m a mother and older, I can relate to Katie a lot more. To me, they’re by far the most believable fictional characters every created.

Monsignor Martinez from King of the Hill.

He says “Vaya, con Dios” before he blows his enemies away. Cool stuff.

Absolutely!! :thumbsup:

I’ve not read that one, sounds good. I did read Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, and found that fascinating. I really did feel for “the monster”.

My thoughts exactly. My second favorite is Faramir - also from the book.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.