Favorite Gregorian Chants?

My favorites are Salve Regina and Dies Irae, I haven’t heard much more aside from these two, however. I would like to know what your favorite Gregorian Chant(s) are. I can’t just listen to two, lol. Thanks for reading and God Bless!

I love the monastic tone Salve Regina. Oh, there are hundreds of them that are beautiful.

Also like Salve Mater misericordiae, Regina caeli, and Te lucis ante terminum.

I always look forward to the Easter season for the sake of chanting the “Vidi aquam” also “O sacrum convivium” to name two.

I love Dies Irae and wish it was heard at requiem masses more often. I am also partial to Tantum Ergo, Te Deum, and Veni Redemptor Gentium (among others)

These are three of my favorites:

[LIST]
*]“Veni Sancte Spiritus”
*]“Veni Creator Spiritus”
*]“Alma Redemptoris Mater”
[/LIST]

Agnus Dei is my favorite.

Victimae Paschali Laudes is beautiful both as a chant and on the organ.

The Te Deum is probably my favorite. But the Salve Regina (solemn tone) is a very close second. Victimae Pascali is on my list too. There’re too many to choose from in my opinion!

Pange Lingua :heart:
Messe VII: De Angelis :heart:
Salve Regina :heart:
Veni Creator Spiritus :heart:
O Salutaris Hostia :heart:
Tantum Ergo Sacramentum :heart:

It’s almost impossible for me to come up with a favourite. I sing in a Gregorian schola and use Gregorian chant for the Liturgy of the Hours every day.

Many of the chants are set to the mood of the biblical verse being used for it, and the particular season/day/feast being celebrated. When you get familiar with the repertory, there are so many strikingly beautiful ones. And there are some that are a chorister’s nightmare, but oh-so-rewarding when getting it right. There are some beautiful introits, graduals (try Christus factus est for Holy Week), offertories, communion antiphons, and I could go on. The Divine Office has no shortage of beautiful antiphons as well.

Missa De Angelis (esp. the Gloria), Christus Vincit, Adoro Te Devote come to mind :slight_smile: but I think most of us would agree that there is very little Gregorian chant that we don’t enjoy!

Somme dispute that Mssa de Angelis is Gregorian chant as it dates to several centuries after the main period for Gregorian chant. Best that can be said is that it is neo-Gregorian.

I like “Dies Irae”. I especially like the Disney version composed by Alan Menken from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Part of it can be heard in “The Bells of Notre Dame”:youtube.com/watch?v=yMZg7JqyhXU

When was de Angelis written? I see what you mean by neo-Gregorian in the sound of it. Is there a specific time period that Gregorian chant has to be taken from to be considered legitimate?

It was written mostly from the 15th to the 16th Centuries, except the Sanctus which dates from the 11th/12th.

The Gregorian era coincides mainly with the Carolingian era and was from the 9th to 11th centuries, with some perhaps as late as the 12th.

Tantum Ergo
Salve Regina

youtube.com/watch?v=Zn8_Ik88kQ4

youtube.com/watch?v=7DgM-aLBBm4

youtube.com/watch?v=HvaNJjdAAks

*inter alia

Come to think of it I do have a soft spot for a couple of hymns from Venantius Fortunatus:

Vexilla Regis
Pange Lingua (not the Aquinas hymn about the Eucharist, but the earlier one about the Cross; in fact Aquinas was inspired by this one to write the more familiar one we all know especially for the “Tantum Ergo” verses).

These are sung at Vespers of Holy week (Vexilla Regis) and Office of Readings and Lauds of Holy Week (Pange Lingua split into two parts). The latter is also sung at the Good Friday service during veneration of the Cross. It is hauntingly beautiful.

Ave Maris Stella

The Pater noster chanted in Latin gets me every time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.