favorite hymns?

Just out of curiosity, I want to know everyones' favorite hymns. I particularly like "Christ Be Our Light."

I like "Christ Be Our Light" too :)

Also: "Come As You Are", "Gather Us In", "I Am The Bread Of Life", "The Servant Song" and "As The Deer" (not really a traditional hymn though).

Come Holy Ghost

Ave Maria

They Will Know We Are Christians

Salve Regina and Jesu, Dulcis Memoria :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't like to sing "I am the Bread of Life" because I am not. We should sing "YOU are the Bread of Life" to Jesus, or "HE is the Bread of Life."

I like the traditional stuff. It's more appropriate to the liturgical changes too. But that's just my preference. There are also a few of the newer hymns I like. Just remember that the hymns we use in Mass are liturgical music, so we should never sing what we would not say. I would never say, "I am the Bread of Life," therefore, I don't sing it at Mass.

[quote="BListon, post:1, topic:276421"]
Just out of curiosity, I want to know everyones' favorite hymns. I particularly like "Christ Be Our Light."

[/quote]

Any of these:

inchoro.net/

But especially Magnificat. :thumbsup:

[quote="Franna, post:3, topic:276421"]
Come Holy Ghost

[/quote]

[quote="chris62, post:4, topic:276421"]
Ave Maria

[/quote]

[quote="Neildown, post:5, topic:276421"]

[/quote]

[quote="Franna, post:3, topic:276421"]
Come Holy Ghost

[/quote]

[quote="chris62, post:4, topic:276421"]
Ave Maria

[/quote]

[quote="Neildown, post:5, topic:276421"]

[/quote]

Come Holy Ghost is the first song that always comes to my mind. The song Whatever You Do to the Least of my Brothers has special meaning for me.

I also love St. Patrick's Breastplate (I Bind Unto Myself Today).

Not in any specific order...
-Chaplet of Divine Mercy
-Here I Am Lord
-Lord of the Dance
-Rise & Shine
-Servant Song
-Song of the Body of Christ
-Let There Be Peace On Earth
-Lord, I Lift You're Name On High

and the list goes on and on!!!

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:2, topic:276421"]
I like "Christ Be Our Light" too :)

Also: "Come As You Are", "Gather Us In", "I Am The Bread Of Life", "The Servant Song" and "As The Deer" (not really a traditional hymn though).

[/quote]

"As the deer" is an awesome song...too bad they don't play it in church very often, if ever. Thanks for reminding me about that song :)

[quote="hakuna_matata, post:12, topic:276421"]
Not in any specific order...
-Chaplet of Divine Mercy
-Here I Am Lord
-Lord of the Dance
-Rise & Shine
-Servant Song
-Song of the Body of Christ
-Let There Be Peace On Earth
-Lord, I Lift You're Name On High

and the list goes on and on!!!

[/quote]

I also like Here I Am Lord, and Let There Be Peace on Earth. Lord of the Dance is a song that I find myself singing when I feel good.

Another song that often comes to mind is Hear Oh, Lord.

I love hymns! It’s probably not a good reason but most of my motivation of going to church is to listen and sing the hymns :stuck_out_tongue:

I like:

• “On Eagle’s Wings”
  • “Prayer of Saint Francis”
  • “Servant Song”
  • “Here I am”
  • "As the Deer"
    among many others I used to sing back in my Catholic elementary school. I was in choir.

I have many non-Catholic Christian friends who sing stuff like Hillsong (like “ONE WAY…JESUS!”) and I respect them and all…it’s just not the same. I prefer the Catholic hymns because they just seem more…majestic and musically pleasing.

Oh and “Hosea” is a really good one too!

Hail Queen Of Heaven The Ocean Star
Blake's Jerusalem
Lead Kindly Light
Abide With Me

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.