Favorite music genre

Which genre of music do you like best? I like rock, Christian, and alternative myself.
Note: You are allowed to make more than one choice, in case you like more than one genre. And R&B votes can be counted in the Other category. I just realized I forgot to put that in:shrug:

My preference is popular music,minus the rap.second is easy listening,third is classic rock.

I typically listen to classic rock. I like a lot of jazz and bluegrass too. I never really got into Christian music though. Dunno why.

God Bless,
Matt

Hard to tell what gets the most play around here – the only one I can guarantee isn’t my favorite is ‘Christian rock’. Country is second (and, I think, the last item) on the ‘no’ list, but I do make exceptions for Johnny Cash and so on. My favorites are probably shoegaze, punk, goth, funk, and calypso.

[quote=marty1818]I never really got into Christian music though. Dunno why.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, putting glorifying God as far ahead of making good music as these bands seem to do tends to end badly. I can appreciate their passion for their faith, but to be blunt, they suck.

Irish Punk (ok so its a “subgenre”) but its my favorite, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, The Tossers, The Pogues, etc.

Hadn’t heard of those guys before (knew the others… not a fan of Flogging Molly, but I like the rest of em), they sound pretty great – thanks! :slight_smile:

Their pretty good, I found them by accident while searching on iTunes.:smiley:

Rock, especially Queen

Rock, Punk, and Heavy Metal

Rush
Poison
Warrant
Motley Crue
GnR
Metallica
Green Day
Offspring
Slaughter
Megadeth

For me it is jazz–America’s great musical gift to the world.

As for my favorites, I listen to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Jerry Vale, Lou Monte, Bobby Darin, Julius LaRosa, all those types of singers.

I also have a thing for Italian-American Doo Wop. The Capris, The Belmonts, The Duprees, The Mystics, The Earls, The Elegants, etc.

When I’m in the right mood, I’ll listen Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Rossini, Rachmaninov and Carl Orf.

Occasionally I’ll see 60’s infomercials on t.v. and it’ll cause me to listen to The Shirrelle’s, The Marvelette’s, The Ronette’s, The Shangri-las, Jefferson Airplane, Steppenwolf, The Sweet, Steve Miller Band and The Foundations.

Rarely, if I start to miss the 80’s I’ll listen to Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Europe, Autograph — some of the very few non-Satanic hair bands to come out of the 80’s.

Me either, maybe because a lot of it is just plain poorly done, my idea of good Christian music is traditional Catholic hymns, and chant , of course!

Punk is probably my favorite. Although my playlists have music from all genres but rap. Offspring, Collective Soul, Dragonforce, Brooks & Dunn, The Corrs, etc.

Classic Rock. The Beatles are without a doubt the greatest musicians of the 20th century.

I like country, irish folk, classic rock, and certain kinds of pop.

“Where are you, Little Star?”
“Wheeeeerrrrrrrrre…Arrrrrrrre…Yooooooooooouuuu…”
“Wohh-ohh-ohh-ohhhhh, ra-ta-ta, ta-ta-ta-toooo…”

My dad first heard this late late at night when it first came out, on a crystal radio set (you know, the one with no battery with a wire running to your window screen as an antenna and one running to your radiator pipe for a ground). He lived in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada, and was able to pick up some deejay at WKBW (Buffalo) who called himself “The Keeper of the Flame”. He said he was blown away by the song, and told his friends about it, and they all thought he was nuts (a hit song about “Twinkle Twinkle…”? :rolleyes: Yeah, right). A week or so later it was on the radios in St John’s and flying out of the bins at the record shop.

Classical/Opera :love: :extrahappy:

Sadly, I think you are correct concerning many Christian artists, but I think it bears being said that this does not apply to all Christian musicians.

I’m a metalhead, and there are some bands like Theocracy and Saviour Machine that are solidly Christian AND superb musicians/songwriters.

Certainly, it does not help the Christian cause if we are mediocre in the use of our talents. We should strive to be the best! In that way we can truly glorify God!

In no particular order, just depending on my mood:

[LIST]
*]New Wave/early 80’s (before 1985)
*]Canadian stuff, especially 70s-80s (Bachman-Turner Overdrive, April Wine, Trooper, Rush, Red Rider, Gowan, Spoons, Strange Advance, Neil Young)
*]Older country (not that new country-pap), western, bluegrass: Flatt & Scruggs, Hank Williams Sr, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, The Dole Brothers)
*]Fifties pop (Elvis, Buddy Holly, doo-wop)
*]Some classical - especially baroque.
*]New age stuff (for when I can’t get to sleep)
*]Irish/Newfoundland traditional (Chieftains, Makem & Clancy, Fureys, Figgy Duff, **** Nolan)
*] 80’s era goth-pop – Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Mission UK
[/LIST]

My “desert-island artist”? Loreena McKennitt.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Favourite musical pieces of all time:

Unchained Melody - Bobby Hatfield solo
Kanon - Pachelbel
Foggy Mountain Breakdown - Flatt & Scruggs
The Prisoner theme - Ron Grainer
I Love You - Sarah McLachlan
Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
The Hamster Dance (I kid you not – it cracks me up)

No real favorite Genre really love lots of different stuff

Radiohead
REM
Johnny Cash
Seasick Steve
Nirvana
System of a Down
Faith no More
Mr Bungle
Beastie Boys
Jurassic 5
Half Man Half Biscuit
Kasabian

Just depends what mood i am in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.